New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Did you break the vehicle speed limit today?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 66.67%
  • No

5 23.81%
  • I broke the speed limit while walking!

2 9.52%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Assistant Secretary Alberto Suansing of the Land Transportation Office (LTO) said there is a speed limit along Edsa, but it is not being implemented.
    "Meron naman talaga, nakakalimutan lang iimplement," he said
    The LTO, however, says it will step up the campaign against speeding. The fine for speeding is P500, plus a disciplinary seminar before the confiscated license can be returned.
    patay tayo dyan. This would definitely be "misinterpreted" by the traffic police. Peso sign ang pagkakabasa nila sa order na yan!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I thought the posted limit at EDSA was 80?!? That's an antiquated rule... the clear stretches of EDSA are highway smooth, so a 40 km/h limit isn't needed.

Is it just me, or is the LTO going to the dogs, nowadays?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Eh, paano ito? Iba naman ang sinasabi ni Fernando........

Ano ba talaga, Koya?

http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Me...aid=2008092753

PhilStar.com
    Sept. 28, 2008

MMDA wants motorists to rev it up on EDSA
    By Delon Porcalla
    Sunday, September 28, 2008

As far as Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Bayani Fernando is concerned, motorists plying Edsa can go as fast as they can, without any fear of apprehension from traffic enforcers.

Fernando made the statement when he corrected Paranaque Rep. Roilo Golez’s statement that a 60-kilometer per hour (kph) regulation should be observed along the major thoroughfare during a House budget hearing for the MMDA.

“Actually, it’s more than that (60 kph)... They can run as much as they can. We have to speed up the vehicles (along Edsa),” Fernando, who has openly declared his plan to run for president in 2010, told the opposition congressman.

Golez, a critic of Fernando, moved to defer the hearing on the MMDA’s proposed P1.7-billion budget for 2009, saying he was willing to “withdraw” his motion if he gets an assurance that Fernando was just joking.

“No, I’m not kidding... I encourage motorists to move faster (along Edsa),” Fernando replied, prompting Makati Rep. Abigail Binay to second Golez’s motion.

“I move to defer because this budget may be used to promote traffic accidents on Edsa. It’s a reckless, irresponsible statement coming from the MMDA chief,” Golez said. “If drivers heed his statement, Edsa would become a death avenue with all the resulting deadly collisions.”

Deputy Minority Leader Golez said Fernando’s remark has far-reaching dangerous implications, especially if it came from the head of an agency tasked to manage traffic in Metro Manila’s major thoroughfares.

The sub-committee of the House appropriations committee, headed by Muntinlupa City Rep. Ruffy Biazon, deferred the MMDA budget deliberation.

Early in the hearing, Fernando failed to produce a resolution from the Metro Manila Council – composed of 17 mayors – approving the budget the MMDA submitted for deliberation by the lawmakers.

The hearing went on, and Biazon warned Fernando to produce the resolution for the next hearing. The MMDA chief, however, said he cannot promise to do so. Fernando is reportedly at loggerheads with most of Metro Manila’s mayors.

Neither did Fernando provide lawmakers a breakdown of the flood control funds and projects for each local government unit in Metro Manila. “It’s a basic question. I will let it pass this time, but this is a responsibility of the MMDA to have these details ready,” Biazon said.

Fernando said they have the data, “but it will take us some time. It might take us too long” to produce a breakdown of the funds and projects.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ during early weekends, tumatakbo ako ng 80-90 dyan ah. wala namang nanghuhuli.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The LTO speedlimit rules are antiquated and need updating. They have never been changed since the early 60s when typical brakes still consisted of drum brakes and the cars on the road mostly never have more than 100hp under the hood.

The LTO officials can try driving at the 40kph speedlimit along the major roads of Metro Manila and see if that will not get them killed.

Even the SLEX, NLEX, SCTEX speedlimits are too low. It should be increased to 120kph for cars.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 28th, 2008 at 11:52 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BTW, there is an existing thread regarding the LTO speed limit law.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43431

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    No wonder the country moves at a turtle's pace, the law said so.
    My thoughts exactly.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I thought the posted limit at EDSA was 80?!? That's an antiquated rule... the clear stretches of EDSA are highway smooth, so a 40 km/h limit isn't needed.

Is it just me, or is the LTO going to the dogs, nowadays?
    IMO, they've gone to the dogs starting a couple of years back.

However, I don't agree to Fernando's call to move as fast as possible along EDSA. Bump up the speed limit to 80 max but zip up/down EDSA as fast as you can, I don't think so.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Hehehe.... archaic traffic laws; stVp!d implementation..... Great combination!
    (Sabagay, 40KPH naman yata ang average speed diyan sa EDSA.....)

6808:frenchyf1:

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    . . .anggugulo nila. . .

sabi ng isang panig, "40 kph", which is obviously impractical. . .
    yung isa naman suggests the stupid "as fast as you can". . .tsk tsk tsk

ang sa 'kin lang, set a practical and sensible speed limit and maglagay sila ng speed limit signs dyan kung seryoso silang i-implement 'yan. . .they can't just randomly flag down motorists and give them tickets for violating an ambiguous speed-limit regulation. . .although i won't be surprised if they do that

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
LTO Vehicle Speed Limits - EDSA max speed limit 40 km/h for cars [merged threads]