New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Balik-Pinoy[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3](How to re-acquire your Philippine citizenship)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Lost your Philippine citizenship yet you want to avail of its benefits eh? Well, the government thought you might feel that way and so enacted the "Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003” (R.A. 9225).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Take note that if you are already a dual citizen (with Philippine citizenship and foreign citizenship), then you need not apply for dual citizenship. Naturally. But, how do you know you’re already a dual citizen? You first have to know 2 basic doctrines in determining nationality: 1) the jus soli (right of soil) doctrine which states that the place of birth determines one’s nationality and 2) the jus sanguinis (right of birth) doctrine which states that the nationality of one’s parent/s determines one’s nationality. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]It is important to know that the Philippines follows the right of birth (jus sanguinis) doctrine to determine its citizen’s nationality. Therefore, wherever you may have been born, as long as at least 1 of your parents was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth, you are a Philippine citizen at birth. You may also be a citizen of the country where you were born in case such country follows the jus soli doctrine to determine its citizen’s nationality.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thus, if at least 1 of your parents was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth and you were born in the U.S. - which follows the jus soli doctrine - then you are a U.S and a Philippine citizen at birth. Under U.S. law, you are a U.S citizen since you were born there and under Philippine law you are a Philippine citizen because at least 1 of your parents was a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth. So it’s not necessary for you to apply for dual citizenship. And you can apply for both U.S. and Philippine passports. Sweet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]You must remember that if your Filipino parent/s lost his/her/their Philippine citizenship at the time of your birth, then you are not a Philippine citizen at birth even if you were born in the Philippines. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Clear? Then on we go to the procedural aspect. There are 4 different application procedures depending on your status:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Read on from The Legally Inclined blog at http://thelegallyinclined.wordpress.com. [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    I am an American citizen and Im happy for it. With all the rights,benefits and previledges as an american I dont think I still want to retain my former citizenship. This country had given me so much and my family with all the good thing in life and security a chance that every man wants.

Even though american am not casting myself as an ignorant individual, Im still Proud to be a PILIPINO by BLOOD and that, proud of it.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lc1 View Post
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]But, how do you know you’re already a dual citizen? You first have to know 2 basic doctrines in determining nationality: 1) the jus soli (right of soil) doctrine which states that the place of birth determines one’s nationality and 2) the jus sanguinis (right of birth) doctrine which states that the nationality of one’s parent/s determines one’s nationality.

Interesting. No. 1 can't apply because I was born in Japan. But No. 2 seems to apply to me. Although my dad was already a US citizen at my birth, my mom never did apply to be one. She's always been a Permanent Resident back when she was in the US. I guess that makes me a Philippine citizen too even though I was given US citizenship at birth. Cool!
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Add:

if one of your parents is Filipino (jus sanguinis - by blood) and the other a non-filipino but also follows the jus sanguinis doctrine (finland, france, japan, korea, spain etc), and the child got the citizenship of the latter (foreign), can he/she still qualify for dual citizenship/filipino?

pang jus soli/jus sanguini combo lang ba applicable to? paano kung jus sanguinis/jus sanguinis ang parents? Please clarify..... TIA.
    Last edited by Negus; January 22nd, 2008 at 08:27 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    heres the link to the Phil govt FAQ on dual citizenship: http://www.gov.ph/faqs/dualcitizenship.asp

should answer a lot of questions. From there you can also download the forms

Learn more about how to re-acquire your Philippine citizenship