New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hilarious but this is for real :D

Jurors found playing Sudoku; trial aborted

Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 10:41:00 06/12/2008

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA—A judge aborted a two-month drug conspiracy trial after some jurors were found to have been playing the puzzle game Sudoku while evidence was being given.

Sydney District Court Judge Peter Zahra on Tuesday ended the trial for two men facing a possible life sentence for drug conspiracy charges. The trial had been running for 66 days and had cost taxpayers an estimated 1 million Australian dollars (US$950,000).

The jury’s number was up after one of the defendants—who both face a possible life sentence for conspiracy to manufacture a commercial quantity of amphetamines—noticed the jury forewoman completing the puzzle.

The jury forewoman admitted to Judge Zahra that she and four other jurors had been playing the popular numbers puzzle since the second week of the hearing.

Sudoku is a puzzle in which 81 squares must be filled with the numbers 1 to 9 so there are nine complete sets in each row, column and square.

To keep mind busy

The jury forewoman told the judge the brain-teasers had helped “keep my mind busy” as she listened to testimony from the 105 witnesses at the trial.

“Some of the evidence is rather drawn out and I find it difficult to maintain my attention the whole time and that (the puzzle) doesn’t distract me too much from proceedings,” she said.

Writing vertically

The jury forewoman also admitted to the judge that her colleagues were playing Sudoku for up to half the time the trial had been going.

Lawyers at the trial had presumed the scribbling they could see jurors doing was simply note-taking. Some of the jurors, however, were observed writing vertically rather than horizontally.

“We actually all thought they were quite a diligent jury … The judge had made many comments about what a good jury they were, how they were taking copious amounts of notes,” solicitor Robyn Hakelis, who represented one of the accused, told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

“Jurors are sort of the judges of the facts and it’s very disappointing they weren’t giving our clients a fair trial,” Hakelis said.

Jurors in the trial are anonymous and no action can be taken against them for playing Sudoku.

A new trial is expected to begin in a few weeks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    may point ang mga jurors. maganda naman talagang brain teaser ang sudoku

J/k

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    pls be reminded of putting on quote boxes
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Jurors found playing Sudoku; trial aborted