New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    This thread should be retitled.Insulation Resistance Test Guide - 440V Generator

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    And what could be a better title? Insulation Resistance Test Guide - 440V Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
    Him lol.

Sorry sa OT. I'm outta here.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    I remember someone (*dr.d?) said that OT adds spice!

Anyways, there's no inquiry as I just wanted to share this. I had a hard time figuring what to do first and I had to turn everything upside down just to get the necessary information. You won't be able to get any information from those dockyard people

IR test (Megger test for others) is pretty much straightforward. Except that it is recommended to get DAR and PI values since you only have the opportunity to do this during drydock or if the plant (land-based) is shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Thanks for sharing bro... Some of them are Greek to me, but I can probably intelligently guess a few based on my knowledge of "low power applications"....
    It is actually the same. It is just "daunting" to do it for a generator since you don't normally do this on a regular basis. And most often than not, we would rather call a technician or a company engineer for this kind of job.

And yes, in a similar manner that I have benefited from joining this forum that I'd like to share. I know most of us here won't find it useful, this is a car forum, but hopefully someone will find it the way I intended it to be.

If I may add, most generators are connected in wye (star). If​ I'm not mistaken, it is for economical reason. You need less insulating material compared when connected to delta with the same power output. I'd like someone to confirm this or correct me on this.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    In Telco field, we use IR test/megger during acceptance of copper cables. There are range of values per wire gauge and not sensitive with temp, TNV is also minimal to 48-70V. We use separate device to measure splicing losses, attenuation. In transformers, i guess that is temp sensitive.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    And what could be a better title? Insulation Resistance Test Guide - 440V Generator
    Ummm....About Snoopy?Insulation Resistance Test Guide - 440V Generator

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12