New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    its my first time to make a long drive. am driving to Isabela sa holy week. longest drive ko e sa eight wacves in san rafael bulacan.

any tips on how can i prepare myself for this. and what should i bring during my drive?

thnx

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not in any particular order, just what comes to mind...

1. check your car - oil, fan belts, brake fluid, clutch, ac, radiator, power steering fluid. make sure you have an extra set of fan belts with you if you are not sure of the condition of the fan belts. check your tyres, and check the reserve tyre, too. check your battery, you might need to fill some distilled water. fill water for the windshield washer.

fill up the gas tank and do not let it go below 1/2. ikaw na din nagsabi, 1st time mo mag long drive so you don't know where the next gas station is.

2. make sure you have your tools with you - jack, tyre wrench, some tools you might need if in case you're in the middle of nowhere and you then have to install that extra set of fan belts.

3. make sure you have some water for the radiator and an extra bottle of brake fluid.

4. flashlight and extra batteries. early warning device or EWD.

5. cell phone and car charger.

6. heavy rope, for towing.

7. hand cleaner and some rags just in case you need to fix something and your hands will get dirty. you can also bring some car shampoo in a small plastic bottle, good enough for one wash. your car will surely be very dirty when you get to isabela. also, buy some "wet ones" tissue, it works wonders to freshen up when you feel sleepy.

8. WD40. you'll never know when you'll need one!

9. CDs for music. there are no FM stations there, at kung meron man nako puro ocho-ocho ang tugtog hehehe!

10. candy. if you can find some kopiko coffee candy then that is the best for staying awake while driving. menthol din like fox's, para bawas bad breath hehehe! pag beso-beso mo dun sa isabela baka itulak ka ng lola mo!

11. coke in cans in a small cooler box. don't forget to bring some straw, mahirap uminom sa can pag nagdra-drive!

12. driving glasses, preferably one that is lightweight and with polarized lenses. nakakapagod sa matamag-drive ng matagal, so kung protected ang eyes mo mas matagal bago ka mapagod.

13. pasalubong ni lola!

something you should remember --- NEVER put a gasoline can in the trunk, if an accident happens you're toast! also pag natapon yun sa trunk mangangamoy sa loob ng car mo at baka ma-unconcious ka pa.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i forgot, check the tightness of your wheel lugs. also it will be a good idea to bring a length of linoleum or tarpulin para may mahigaan ka just in case you need to look under the car.

ano pa ba? "walkabout" handheld radio if you are going in a convoy, mas matipid kesa sa cell phone!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    make sure you are physically prepared for the trip. sleep well the night before the trip para hindi ka antokin sa byahe.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get enough sleep before you drive ... there's ~100 km of zigzag road before isabela and you'll start to traverse it after having driven a tiring 5-6 hours (from manila) ... the town before the zigzag is san jose and you might consider stopping for snacks at jollibee/greenwich to get you back on alert

6. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    spare fuses? extra bulbs? :P

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bring a map

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    don't ever forget the chicks.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check and adjust your tire pressures prior to the trip, including the spare. ensure that the vehicle is in good working condition (of note on the highway: all headlights, parking lights, signal lights, and taillights are working well)

bring along a tire-pressure gauge and a set of jumper cables, aside from the basic tools and jack.

observe proper road courtesy: observe proper lanes, signal when changing lanes or overtaking, use high beams and fog lights properly, etc...

in case you feel sleepy while driving, immediately stop at a safe place, then maybe rest, or grab a coffee, or something. it would be helpful if you have a companion on the road who can converse with you continuously.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just enjoy it. Longest stint ko was 12 hours behind the wheel.

Boy, was that fun.

But be prepared for any eventualities. I snapped a fan belt twice while driving at high speeds.

The emergency gear you have is not only for your car, but to aid your fellow motorist.

Fire Extinguisher and a first aid kit are mandatory on all our vehicles.

Bago umalis get some sleep and use the CR. Mahirap magmaneho habang natatae (believe me).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How to prepare for a long drive?