New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Would like to ask your opinions regarding House Airconditioning system. I'm planning to buy a new aircon and im choosing between the Window type and the Split type units. A friend told me that a split type aircon may be a little expensive but will eventually offset on the long run since it it more economical on electric bills.
    Need your inputs about this.

Another thing, which is easier to clean and if i chose the split type, can i do a DIY cleaning? Di ko pa kabisado how to clean it or do i need to get the services of the shops?

Lastly, which brand is the best, the one that's coolest and durable? My thoughts are with either National brand or Carrier. Also considering Samsung and LG.

By the way, lets stick to 1HP, 4x5 meters ang room,concrete walls

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I prefer window type aircon vs split. Its simpler and easier to install. No installation fee, simple maintenance and cleaning. Initial cost is also a lot cheaper than split.

I read somewhere in this forum that panasonic has the most economical and best performing compressors.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I prefer window type aircon vs split. Its simpler and easier to install. No installation fee, simple maintenance and cleaning. Initial cost is also a lot cheaper than split.

I read somewhere in this forum that panasonic has the most economical and best performing compressors.
    I'd advise you to choose a split type. Its more economical to run and the difference in the noise is quite substantial. If your looking for ultimate comfort and some savings in your electric bill, split is the way to go.

As for brand, Im using panasonic and i would gladly endorse such brand to you. Among the brands, the panasonic has the most handsome indoor unit, except the samsung which just is plain gorgeous with its blue strip/highlight. Stay away from whirlpool, kolin and idec(?). Upon inspecting these brands, the quality of the materials and the fit and finish just doesnt speak 'quality' to me.

AS for ease of cleaning, its as easy to clean the split type as the window type if were talking about the air filter. More intensive cleaning (once or twice a year) requires an expert if your unit is a split type whereas i myself can and have been cleaning our window types. (just make sure you know where NOT to spray with water).

Lastly, of course the split requires a more elaborate install, but almost all brands have free installation up to 10 ft. SO essentially your indoor unit will mounted on the other side of the wall where your outdour unit is. Be wary though that installers charge a premium if you want the outdoor unit to be at some distance from your indoor, plus they will charge you for the steel rack/platform which will hold your outdoor unit. Some also charge for boring holes or more elaborate installs. Before I forget, you will need a safety/circuit breaker (20 amp for a 1Hp aircon) for your split and i advise you to purchase your own as the installers charge you sometimes twice the price of such item if you dont have one.

Good luck.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    window type
    pros
    - easy install
    - cheap. pag nasira e di palitan ng bago
    - has make-up air, that is it gets fresh air from the outside to keep the oxygen level in the room at normal levels.
    - easy to clean, just remove 1 screw, pull it out and take it to the water hose.

cons
    - hole in the wall, pasukan ng magnanakaw. but you can always put grills on the outside.
    - heavy when you are taking it out for cleaning
    - due to the make up air it spends more energy so higher operating costs (for same hp rating)
    - can be noisy as it ages

split type
    pros
    - quiet
    - no hole in the wall, security
    - less operating cost (but hardly noticeable for a small unit, especially for a 1 hp like what you want). a windoow type ac has 2 motors, a split type has 3. so for small units the advantage that the 3rd motor gives (since the condenser fan motor can shut down if only the evaporator fan is needed) is minimal as motor efficiency decreases with motor size.

cons
    - no make-up air, oxygen levels can go down very low in a room that is not ventilated for a long time. door is closed all the time > no air in > low oxygen levels. you need to make it part of your routine to ventilate the room everyday.
    - you can buy 2 window type ac for the price of 1. expensive to buy and expensive to install. they charge by the foot of tubing after the first 10 feet.
    - if installation is wrong (like too far or too much height difference between condensing unit and evaporator) can lead to early failure of the compressor.
    - hard to clean. you need a big drain to be able to clean the evaporator in place. if you need to remove the evaporator for cleaning, gastos yan sa refrigerant and filter dryer as they need to disconnect the tubing.
    - hard to repair, expensive to replace.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung meron room mo na existing hole for the window type then get the window type pag wala pa siguro pwede na spilt type, maintenance wise for split ype hinde naman mahal I mean yun cleaning it only cost at least P850...

I'm having our split type clean doon sa nag install din they are accredited installer ng Panasonic.

tama si Yebo, mahal installation take ours for example yes they have a free 10 ft but the problem is I wanted to put the outdoor unit doon sa other side ng house ko para nakatago, and they uses 50 ft copper tubing and wiring for that so I need to pay the extra 40 ft...

but kung back to back lang ang installation makukuha mo yun free 10 ft walang kang babayran sa installion except for the bracket and circuit braker

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    In our home we have both types (split & window).

Last summer, I changed my 2 rooms with the newer, more energy efficient Panasonic 'Inverter Series' and I gotta tell you it has greatly improved our cooling and more importantly our electric consumption. Like about half of what we normally pay monthly

Yes you can still DIY the cleaning with a split type, it ain't rocket science but I still prefer to have it done by a professional.

HTH.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    In our home we have both types (split & window).

Last summer, I changed my 2 rooms with the newer, more energy efficient Panasonic 'Inverter Series' and I gotta tell you it has greatly improved our cooling and more importantly our electric consumption. Like about half of what we normally pay monthly

Yes you can still DIY the cleaning with a split type, it ain't rocket science but I still prefer to have it done by a professional.

HTH.

I'm also planning to replace my old model Panasonic to the newer model, do I need to replace all the tubings or pwede gamitin na yun existing ang palitan na lang yun indoor and ourdoor units?

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    shadow - I tried to do this at my office and it depends because the older models have thinner tubes/pipings while the new (regular) split types have 3/8 pipes, so much more for the Inverter Series because it has 1/2 inch pipes.

It will also depend on the transition HP size of the previous to the new unit.

HTH

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Actually, im having my new house constructed.We're living with my in-laws at the moment.What my architect-friend told me is to decide which type will i use before doing all the finishings para pulido ang looks.
    I am now highly considering Panasonic "Inverter Series". Do they both have the split and window type? Baka mauwi na rin ako sa split type.My daughter wants to have a split type aircon in her room. Sa guest room siguro, Window type na lang

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I still welcome other inputs. Thank you guys for sharing. I appreciate everything you said!

ooopppsss! sorry for the double posts! my apologies to the moderator. paki delete lang po yung double post
    Last edited by carlos; July 22nd, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast