3 33.33%
  • Israel

3 33.33%
  • Others

2 22.22%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    To pick which is a better firearm based on who makes them is very subjective. There will be no clear winner here. As a gun owner, I too can't decide which one is a better fit for me. So I ended up being a collector and enjoy the best traits of each of those that I currently own. Personally, I shoot well in both AK and M16 variant. I find the AK more of a utilitarian weapon like Glock. M16 is a weapon you want to pick when you want to hit a target with less round count (read:more maintenance care). In real life use, assuming you have trained well on either of the two, your best bet will be the first one you can grab and shoot.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    GERMANY

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Which country produces the better gun is very difficult to ascertain. It largely depends on which factory made the gun and on what tolerances and requirements they are produced for. Military rifles are inherently less "accurate" than commercial versions that have been optimized for target shooting(thicker barrels). This is because they use "pencil" barrels to save weight and have "milspec" chrome lining to improve barrel life(which affect accuracy).

The AKM-47 "Type 3" (Not AK-47) no longer represents Russian rifles. They are, however, very numerous because they are easily manufactured. Their current rifles are from the AK-100 family which are within the M4A1 milspec accuracy of 1.5-2.5 MOA(Minute of Angle - which is the measure of inches on the maximum spread of firing groups at 100 yards). The 7.62x39 cartridge has been largely replaced by the 5.45x39 round, particularly the 7n6 variant which is said to be on par with 5.56x45 NATO Mk 318 Mod 0; these are called Intermediate Rounds and the rifles are called "Carbines" (referring to typical carbine barrel length of 12-16 inches).

Further, I would like to dispel the myth that the "AK" is inaccurate. It is, in fact, accurate enough for a man sized target at its intended range of 300 meters and less (which is typical engagement range for the common soldier and the same effective range of the 5.56x45 round). The problem why the "AK" is inaccurate is because of the person behind the gun and his level of training i.e. does he know about holdovers and how to adjust the sight to compensate for bullet drop?

If you want to engage enemies beyond 300 yards up to 600, you generally want either a Battle Rifle Rounds such as the 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R. Do not, however, mistake the rifles that use these rounds as "sniper" rifles. Instead, they are employed for Designated Marksman Role (DMR) which have an MOA of 1.5-2.5. These rifles typically have a barrel length of 16-22 inches and are, of course, heavier than Carbines. Examples would be the FN FAL, H&K G3, AR-10, SVD-63, PSL.

So in conclusion, if you want the best of both worlds, get a SG 550
    Last edited by safeorigin; June 13th, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    My heart beats for a Sig 556xi
    http://youtu.be/fYhJfD-WHOk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ^I dunno, I kinda miss the longer piston tube of the SG550. What makes me drool, however, is Marc Krebs' AK-15...

Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234