New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    what about the ofws in lebanon, maraming di umuwi kasi they knew na matatapos din ang gera so ngayon iyong di umuwi andoon pa at me trabaho. While iyong mga umuwi asa pinas alang trabaho and there is no the clear governement program para sa mga displaced OFWs ng lebanon.

Nwalan pa ng pera ang OWWA

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by qman View Post
    what about the ofws in lebanon, maraming di umuwi kasi they knew na matatapos din ang gera so ngayon iyong di umuwi andoon pa at me trabaho. While iyong mga umuwi asa pinas alang trabaho and there is no the clear governement program para sa mga displaced OFWs ng lebanon.

Nwalan pa ng pera ang OWWA
    same case what happen on IRAQ,those OFW refuse to go home ,
    knowing theres nothing goin to happen in their homeland,
    thats why they prefer to stay on war torn country

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    dapat ginawa ng poea natin hinanapan ng ibang trabaho sa ibang country at sigurado naman mga qualified ang mga yan at para di naipon ang mga ofws sa pinas.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fakesaint View Post
    a good read, nicely written by a friend from korea who's now married to a brit...

I'm talking about the culture of dependence among Filipinos who have family members working or living abroad.

To be clear, I'm not counting those who depend on their spouses for financial support, or those who sacrifice being away from their spouses in order to send their kids to good schools or save up money for a house or a business or whatever it is that will make their lives better. I'm not even counting those who depend on their siblings to go to college (although I don't think it's fair for older children to carry this burden) or old parents whose old-age and weak health leave them no other choice but to depend on their children in order to live.

What annoys me are those people who shamelessly ask for money all the time and actually feel entitled doing so because they assume that their sibling/relative abroad has a better life than they do. Take one of my Pinay friends, for instance. She sends her mother money every month and her 7 siblings all get a share. What's the money for? For house bills, for her siblings' children's school expenses, pambili ng gas, bigas, gatas, etc. Mostly, to support her siblings' baby factories. Worse, some of them don't even bother to work. As in, mega umasa na lang sa remittances ni ate. Of course, it makes perfect sense. Why bother to look for fish when the fish just jumps on your plate every time you need it? She tried a couple of times to send them huge amounts of money to start businesses of their own (freely given, as usual, since the concept of "paying up" seems to be an unknown concept among families) but it always ended up the same. Some new sorts of imaginary expenses come from nowhere and before you know it, kaboom! the money's gone, and all you can do is sigh.

Institutionalized highway robbery. It makes me angry to think about it.

And no, I don't believe that this is a result of widespread poverty. My family is not rich either, but they don't obligate me or push me against the wall with all these burdens and financial responsibilities. My parents could, if they wanted to. Afterall, they shed blood and sweat to send me to good schools, and I'm the eldest child. Of course, there have been instances when they had emergency financial problems and as a family member, I wanted to help or pitch in. But then again, it's a gesture of appreciation, and not an obligation. They understand that Dave and I are not exactly living on a bed of roses.

Thus, I couldn't help but wonder: Aside from the problem of brain-drain, and families drifting apart, and a government relaxing on overseas remittances, is this phenomenon of Pinoy diaspora also creating a new breed of leeches and a double-standard or false sense of filial piety?

Nakaka-kablam! At akala ko pa naman, ang mga Pinoy eh galit sa mga walanghiya.
    IMHO, i think this person is ranting...first of all, it is not unique to pinoys nor the plight of pinoys overseas...or whatever...she is on a high horse...

The simple fact of the matter is that "if you give a inch, people will want a foot, a foot they will want a mile..." and that isnt even a pinoy saying...

No one is holding her friend/s at gunpoint to send money home...because the more she does the more she spoils her endless line of dependents (I too was assigned abroad for 10 years)...and when her friends spoil them they dont try...cut em loose... let em work for their money. It is a cycle and the culprits as well are the ones who feed it...so wake up lady...you are going to have a kid...it is the same thing...you dont spoil kids...because human nature is such that when you do it is likely they will take advantage of it...

Easy for her to say diba...to criticise her own from outside when they are also the ones who are complicit to the crime?

when people are faced with adversity they will rise to the occassion or simply fail..that is how we weed out diba?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    if she is truly angry then she should do the right thing and tell her friends to stop sending money back. she wont be popular but at least she will be correcting a wrong...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ruel23 View Post
    dapat ginawa ng poea natin hinanapan ng ibang trabaho sa ibang country at sigurado naman mga qualified ang mga yan at para di naipon ang mga ofws sa pinas.
    meron yata ganito project ang POEA,
    kaya lang depende sa bansa na ngangailangan .
    last year pinsan ko naka alis papunta ng Korea.ex-KSA sia nag file lang yata ng application sa POEA .may nag fit sa job description niya .
    sandali lang ang processing nakaalis din

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    Ako, bago umalis ng Pilipinas, inaway ko na mga kamaganak namin. Du'n sa mga nagsabing "Baka kapag nasa abroad ka na eh magbago ka na at hindi mo na kami maalala?", ang sagot ko "Huwag kayong magalala at hindi ako magbabago. Dito palang sa Pilipinas hindi ko naman kayo naaalala."
    bwahaha...subukan ko nga gawin iyan ahahhaha

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    May ugali pa Pinoy na, pag ang OFW nagbakasyon sa atin, lahat ng kaibigan mo, kapitbahay, kamag-anak, nanghihingi ng pasalubong. Pag di mo nabigyan, sumasama pa ang loob! Naranasan ko yan, kasi tuwing nagbabakasyon ako sa atin, ang daming humihingi ng pera, sigarilyo, alak, at minsan, pabango! (Ano ako, Sta. Claus?) Kaya, madalas, iniiwasan ko na yung lumabas ng bahay. Masaklap pa niyan, sasabihan ka pa na "Nag-abroad lang, takot na sa kapwa Pilipino!"

Anak ng......! Di naman pinupulot ang pera sa abroad, ano. Akala nila, porke't "earning dollars" ka, apaw ang pera mo. Di nila iniisip yung hirap at homesick na dinaranas ng isang OFW.

dami talagang ganyan sa pinas! kahit hindi kayo close...feeling close kpag umuwi ka! parang obligasyon mo na abutan sila ng pasalubong.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
The Great Dilemma of Pinoys Abroad