New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    1. The school load like (homeworks, projects and researches) are not as hectic as they were before. The submission date is more flexible. On Saturdays, there is only 1 or sometimes no homework to let the family bond together. Before we use to have 4 to 5 homeworks a day including Saturdays.

4. The exams are more easier now, by that I mean the coverage, before when the last quarter exams will be given coverage is from cover to cover.
    Brief example of St. Jude English

Case closed

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    However, Xavier has several study abroad (actually more China than any other country) options that allow the students not only to learn putonghwa more effectively but also to become immersed more deeply into Chinese culture. My older son went three times, my younger son twice.

As they discovered, it is not enough to just speak the language, you have to understand the culture as well to really appreciate it. The local Tsinoy culture is obviously not the same as the mainland Chinese culture. It is only by personally experiencing the latter that they learned to discover and appreciate part of their heritage - and this is something that no classroom education alone could have provided.
    Saint Jude Chinese classes includes the cultural heritage like practices and beliefs, even the various origins of Chinese heritage were slowly introduced studied in grade school, in Grade 5 we study China's geography, (maps, provinces and products), then in Grade 6 to High 4 we study Chinese history ( includes religions, politics and cultures of the different dynasties). These have my travel to the said places more easier since I have knowledge of these in my class before.

Although I agree the student would be more appreciative of this if you are able to go China and Taiwan to really appreciate the rich Chinese culture, study tours abounds like Dynamic Youth and the one you mentioned I believe it is sponsored by Henry Sy (the China Study tour).

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post

Case closed
    I believe the topic here is not about grammar buddy, just make yourself useful by contributing something worthwhile.
    Last edited by ans_lim168; January 4th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Saint Jude Chinese classes includes the cultural heritage like practices and beliefs, even the various origins of Chinese heritage were slowly introduced studied in grade school, in Grade 5 we study China's geography, (maps, provinces and products), then in Grade 6 to High 4 we study Chinese history ( includes religions, politics and cultures of the different dynasties). These have my travel to the said places more easier since I have knowledge of these in my class before.

Although I agree the student would be more appreciative of this if you are able to go China and Taiwan to really appreciate the rich Chinese culture, study tours abounds like Dynamic Youth and the one you mentioned I believe it is sponsored by Henry Sy (the China Study tour).
    Xavier's Chinese classes also have the same coverage - Chinese history, culture, geography, literature, etc. But nothing beats experiencing it firsthand.

Actually the programs my sons participated are exclusive for Xavier students. These are part of the Xavier China Experience (XCE) program that is integrated into the school year. Students spend their third quarter in China and the grades they received are counted as part of their academic performance. This is very different from the summer programs sponsored by other institutions which are extra-curricular in nature and are attended by students from various schools.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    1. The school load like (homeworks, projects and researches) are not as hectic as they were before. The submission date is more flexible. On Saturdays, there is only 1 or sometimes no homework to let the family bond together. Before we use to have 4 to 5 homeworks a day including Saturdays.

4. The exams are more easier now, by that I mean the coverage, before when the last quarter exams will be given coverage is from cover to cover.
    The St. Jude student's writing skills are clearly reflected here.

In Xavier, you would be ''toasted alive'' by the teacher if you wrote like this.

I guess you really have to pay for quality in this world.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post

Case closed
    Quote Originally Posted by hein View Post
    The St. Jude student's writing skills are clearly reflected here.

In Xavier, you would be ''toasted alive'' by the teacher if you wrote like this.

I guess you really have to pay for quality in this world.
    It's funny how Xaverians make such a big fuss about one's grammatical error, as if they don't make mistakes at all. We are all imperfect, not unless you're God.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Actually both Xavier and St. Jude are good school and they have their own strength and weakness. But my 2 Pamangkins are both female so its Ika or St. Jude. St. Jude is out of the question because its far from our house Ika is nearer but the fees and the Misc. are too high for us... Cheng Kuang in the other hand is good but I don't know the standard... Back then when I'm in High School Cheng Kuang is not that good(Base on what I've heard. So any other school...

Our 2 chikitings are doing good in Chinese classes so we want them to develop it as this will be beneficial for them in the future...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Actually, as stated earlier, marg is from Ateneo. hein, I am not sure.

But there is a certain truth to Xaverians being nitpicky about grammar. It is a propensity that some alumni (especially the older ones like me) picked up from our Jesuit English teachers who have always emphasized the importance of good grammar.

And why not? After all, the written communication is often the first impression you can provide in certain critical situations, such as applying for a job, submitting a proposal etc. And unless you join the eyeballs, it is also the sole basis with which people in this forum form their impression of you.

So, yes, the typical Xaverian tends to be overly conscious of good grammar and some are even inclined to point out the mistakes of others. Needless to say, sometimes this comes off as being helpful; other times, arrogant.

But it is not so much about making a big fuss over grammar per se but maintaining the attitude of always giving your best, of constantly striving for perfection. Good grammar is but just one aspect. Contrast this with the "pwede na" syndrome that afflicts so many of us and the disparity in attitudes become all the more glaring.
    Last edited by architect; January 5th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    Actually both Xavier and St. Jude are good school and they have their own strength and weakness. But my 2 Pamangkins are both female so its Ika or St. Jude. St. Jude is out of the question because its far from our house Ika is nearer but the fees and the Misc. are too high for us... Cheng Kuang in the other hand is good but I don't know the standard... Back then when I'm in High School Cheng Kuang is not that good(Base on what I've heard. So any other school...

Our 2 chikitings are doing good in Chinese classes so we want them to develop it as this will be beneficial for them in the future...
    saan yun IKA?

seriously diyan din mga pamngking ko sa ICA, isa lang napanasin ko naging maaarte.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    It's funny how Xaverians make such a big fuss about one's grammatical error, as if they don't make mistakes at all. We are all imperfect, not unless you're God.
    You're mistaken. I am not from Xavier. But I do have friends who come from the aforementioned institution. And I am impressed with their impeccable grasp of the English language.

Your poor writing skills reflect badly on the school where you graduated from. (Sorry, St. Jude)

Architect is right. Written communication is often the first impression you can provide in certain critical situations, like college admissions. Many Xavier alumni, like Lance Gokongwei for instance, were able to enter prestigious Ivy League schools straight from high school.

And Xavier graduates are considered shoo-in for local colleges like Ateneo and De La Salle.

In the end, quality is what you pay for in education.

P.S.: I am quite sure your teacher never told you this but never say "more easier". It is "more easy" or just plain "easier".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Good Chinese School Near Shaw Blvd Mandaluyong