New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    i agree. most of us do not value our rich heritage. as early as the 16th century, trade with other countries was fully established. the british, dutch, Portuguese and of course, spaniards were here. long before them were the chinese, arabs and malays. sabi ng history teacher ko noon, the reason we are poor is all the fault of president quezon. because of his greed, he declared independence in just a year after liberation. americans and the japanese were mandated to rehab the country but quezon wants to personally manage the rehab efforts. my teacher could be wrong on his assumptions but president quezon was definitely correct when he said we will run by filipinos like hell. this is the hell he was talking about. my history teacher reminded us also that train system were not restored by president quezon during his time. there were trains going north and south before the war. going to antipolo and cavite areas, you have to use the trains. if only the train system was restored, economic development would be quicker for infra is laid down already.
    bit OT but not all filipinos are tontos, our leaders are. ang ganda ng pilipinas. binago lang ni quezon ang takbo ng pinas, napasama tuloy.

2. Join Date
    May 2012
    nakakalungkot nga naman ang mga paunti at paunting mga heritage sites and landmarks na nagigiba to make room for "progress" or a chance to make a quick buck over restoration and conservation. hindi pa nakakaevolve ang pinoy na magkaroon ng historical awareness.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I think what the average pinoy is proud of are the number of malls we have in the country. Our value system is all wrong which makes for the wrong priorities.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    ^

Fool daw ung mga pinoy na hindi nag value ng history at heritage. Dugay na kaau tonto pa din.

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums
    Not in Negros. We value our heritage and history. Though we do not oppose modernization and progress.

Retz its supposed to be

Dugay ka na sa Manila, tonto ka man gihapon!

:D

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm not so sure that our colonial past is to blame. Meron naman diyang ibang former British colonies that are doing quite well. Then again, pansin ko karamihan ng mga former Spanish colonies di rin maganda ang katayuan ngayon.

i really think that, at the root of it all, we have to be "proud" of ourselves first...proud enough to preserve that dignity no matter what, to put ourselves at a higher level...to believe that we can be better than what we are today. Medyo corny but when you look at Taiwan, South Korea, i firmly believe that they really loved their country even if it's in ruins(post WW2), so much so that they've made it into first rate countries that their children can be proud of.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Filipinos aren't enlightened people yet
    Less about enlightenment and more about "who has the money"...

If you don't want the owner to let a historical building go to waste... given them the money to fix it up.

A house that Rizal's mother lived at in Binan has fallen into ruin and disrepair, simply because the lot owners don't want to commit the money to fix it.

If people want these things fixed and maintained... they should just go ahead and come up with the millions required to rebuild them. Then compensate the owners for having to hold onto old buildings that won't contribute anything to their bottom-line... or pay them the big bucks to buy it off their hands.

While I'm saddened by the loss of some of these historical buildings and structures, heritage is a luxury for the very rich. The Philippines is not very rich.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the spaniards spent over 300 years telling us we're good for nothing.
    the americans spent 40+ years telling us theirs is better (via the best brainwashing gadget ever... hollywood!).
    the japanese spent 4 years shooting at us.

the filipino would really have to have insight, to love his own.

and do you know why matapang tayong gumawa ng kalokohan? because we speak english! we are not afraid to go and hide the states! our asian neighbors, they were (but not anymore) actually afraid to go to the states, because they didn't speak the language.
    Last edited by dr. d; January 2nd, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12