New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Many claim that the Philippines is getting poorer and poorer by the minute. But I beg to disagree.

Judging by the new cars plying on the streets I wouldn't think so. 2.0L compact sedans? V6 mid-size sedans? V8 SUVs? Seems a hard sell a few years ago - yet they are already being offered here. Even our family wouldn't have dreamt of being able to afford a brand-new SUV 5 years ago.

Housing projects are all over the place and condominiums are sprouting like mushrooms. Even our subdivision has seen its share of improvements - whereas less than a decade ago all the houses looked the same (as this was a government housing project), now house renovations & rebuilding are a common sight.

Non-essential amenities are also a given nowadays. Mobile phones, DSL internet, PDAs, Cable TV, Coffee shops, etc.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Maybe the poor are getting poorer is what's meant.

It could be true that the A, B, and C group can afford more luxury than before, but the D and now there's an E, who can't even afford a decent meal.

As to how to alleviate the state of D and E, I have no answer. To fix the problem will take a huge amount of effort from all sides, A, B, C and the government, and even D and E people themselves.

I'm sorry I can't find any better terms for the classes of society. In truth there should be no class system as it is divisive and demeaning. but for purposes of discussion I had to use it.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the_wildthing's right. Only the rich are getting richer. You have only to look at the urban poor and the subsistence farmers to realize the wealth isn't trickling down at all.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by the_wildthing
    It could be true that the A, B, and C group can afford more luxury than before
    exactly my point. am not mentioning that everyone is getting richer, but many people are getting richer. at least the B & C class is already growing. unlike before (as my dad said), there were only two classes of society: rich and poor. the middle class back then was almost minimal.

and also to add, i've read somewhere that Vietnam has already surpassed us economically. sheesh. they should try to visit Vietnam to see the real state of that country.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Financially maybe yes but emotionally no. Try to visit malls almost the whole day are crowded. Iyan ba ang mga walang pera...baka nagpapalamig lang.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the people who say vietnam has surpassed the philippines probably only went to hanoi, ho chi minh and vung tau.

the rest of vietnam is no better than the philippines. probably worse. it's basically a rural, agricultural economy and almost every big business is state owned. in ho chi minh most of the ships berthed at the harbor are russian registry ships - old, ugly, rusted, EMPTY and going nowhere.

7. FrankDrebin Guest
    Originally posted by doublea
    Financially maybe yes but emotionally no. Try to visit malls almost the whole day are crowded. Iyan ba ang mga walang pera...baka nagpapalamig lang.
    Marami nga tao pero napapansin mo ba na may bitbit ba silang plastic/supot? Wala di ba. Mas marami ang nagpapalamig, nagpapalipas ng oras or kakain lang.

Nag-hihirap ang Pinas mga repapips. Siguro hindi niyo lang napapansin kasi medyo malaki ang kita ninyo at nakatira kayo sa magandang lugar.

Pansinin niyo na lang na maraming puwesto/small business establishments ang nagsasara. Maraming vacant na commercial places. Try niyo pumunta sa lower middle class places. Mas marami na ang tao dun. Maraming tambay kasi wala makuhang trabaho.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Marami kasing elements para ang isang bansa masasabing naghihirap: nandyan ang utang sa world bank, GNP, percentage ng unemployment, percentage ng mahihirap na tao, etc. kaya bansa natin nasa 3rd world classification dahil sa laki ng utang natin sa world bank. haaaaay naghihirap ang pilipinas dahil kagagawan din ng pilipino lalo na ang mga makapangyarihan na tao........................

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by yebo
    the people who say vietnam has surpassed the philippines probably only went to hanoi, ho chi minh and vung tau.

the rest of vietnam is no better than the philippines. probably worse. it's basically a rural, agricultural economy and almost every big business is state owned. in ho chi minh most of the ships berthed at the harbor are russian registry ships - old, ugly, rusted, EMPTY and going nowhere.
    even caloocan city is doing better than those cities that you mentioned. plus, the main mode of transportation is either a scooter and a bike!!! where on earth can you see a bikes plying through the middle of a national highway?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wag naman sana humantong tayo kagaya ng feature story ng TIME magazine about Japan where people dress up in office attire, leaves the house as if papasok sa office, yun pala sa park lang tatambay, just to maintain the illusion na meron pa silang JOB

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Is the Filipino that Poor?