New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede kaya? kasi pag umuulan just like last week, pag nag black out I can't put the gen set doon sa medyo malayo sa bahay open air area since mababasa, sa garage ko lang magamit eh kaso yun usok naman. so thinking mag clamp ako ng garden hose para yun labas ng usok eh doon sa open air kahit na yun genset nasa covered garage.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wouldn't be just be better to make a small shelter or shade (some plywood and plastic) for the genset and use an extension powerline to get power into the house?

A garden hose might not withstand the heat of the exhaust and may melt or even catch fire.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the exhaust temperature can get as high as 500 deg Celcius and the garden hose will melt, period. it can even catch on fire.

there are high temperature engine exhaust hoses (flex metal hose) but i doubt if you can find them locally. and even if you do find it the price will be prohibitive. why not just do it with metal pipe? or do as gh suggested, build a small shed for the genset.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Tama. Di tatagal ang hose sa init. Pwede mga g.i. Nipple, elbow, pipe gamitin mo.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, matutunaw yan. I'd go with the suggestion of GH to have a movable enclosure made. Just anchor it down (baka mahanginan) and you can even add one side with insulation to muffle the noise of the genset.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Wouldn't be just be better to make a small shelter or shade (some plywood and plastic) for the genset and use an extension powerline to get power into the house?

A garden hose might not withstand the heat of the exhaust and may melt or even catch fire.
    thought about it but just keeping my options open. it will be easier kung pwede ma extend lang yun exhaust then removal pag hinde umuulan no need to use it pag umuulan gamitin.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    the exhaust temperature can get as high as 500 deg Celcius and the garden hose will melt, period. it can even catch on fire.

there are high temperature engine exhaust hoses (flex metal hose) but i doubt if you can find them locally. and even if you do find it the price will be prohibitive. why not just do it with metal pipe? or do as gh suggested, build a small shed for the genset.
    yup, pwede rin metal pipes. or I'll try to look for those high temp hoses.

pwede rin yun sabi ni vinj, movable enclosure.. for this anong mgandang materials na rain proof

thanks, thanks

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    thought about it but just keeping my options open. it will be easier kung pwede ma extend lang yun exhaust then removal pag hinde umuulan no need to use it pag umuulan gamitin.

yup, pwede rin metal pipes. or I'll try to look for those high temp hoses.
    Maybe semi-rigid metal air ventilation hoses for kitchen exhausts. These are usually four to six inches in diameter so you will need to use a clamp at one end to the muffler of the genset. I just don't know how durable this is if you are going to move it around often.

pwede rin yun sabi ni vinj, movable enclosure.. for this anong mgandang materials na rain proof

thanks, thanks
    Meron PVC sheets being sold as lightweight roofing material at large DIY outlets.

Last edited by ghosthunter; August 5th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    when you bought the genset, it came with instructions and safety briefing. locate the genset downwind, away from the house in a fire resistant enclosure. even if your genset is dry, it has a hazard of catching fire, introduce carbon monoxide to your house and of course create a lot of noise and unwanted heat. to build a relatively inexpensive enclosure that is fire resistant, use metal frame and cement board (hardiflex) for your remote temporary genset house that is light enough to relocate if you are not using your back up power. also, don't forget to have a class abc fire extinguisher in the vicinity. a ground fault circuit interuptor (GFCI) extension cord is recommended

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    add ko lang bossing, if you use metal pipe, or find the high temp flex metal hose, you will need to relocate the muffler to the end. otherwise maingay siya kahit may muffler before the pipe.

the pipe does not have to be thick GI, it can even be electrical conduit piping (easy to bend!) just wrap it with fiberglass tape insulation (thermowrap) so nobody gets his hands burned if they accidentally touch the hot pipe.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Ilayo mo na lang bro ang generator at lagyan mo ng cover/bubong...

13.9K:mop:

extending genset exhaust using garden hose?