New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last July, I posted my MacBook for sale in OLX. I got scammed by a buyer that intentionally used a check (with a closed account) to deposit the payment in my girlfriend's bank account. The amount is 40K and is eligible for Small Claims.

Through sleuthing, I was able to get his Full Name and his Pateros residence address though I have yet to confirm if he really lives there. He also seems to be a known scammer in Facebook and the victims were his old college classmates.

Although a police complaint (Anti-Cyber Crime Group) was already filed and ready for criminal case filing, our lawyer friend advised us to just file a Small Claims instead. He said the first step is to send a demand letter. I already drafted the demand letter and am ready to send it.

How do I go about all these?

1) Do I send the letter through PhilPost Registered Mail and ask for the proof of receipt? What if the scammer denies the letter?

2) How many copies should I send through PhilPost?

3) Do I need to go to his Barangay first to really confirm his place of residency?

4) Any other advices that might help me get what's owed to me?

As you might be thinking by now, this scammer is a total stranger to me and this makes everyrhing harder. I have a CCTV footage of how we transacted (Starbucks), I have the copy of the bounced check, and I have the original copy of the deposit slip that he gave me during the meet up.

I know it's stupid that I allowed him to do a deposit but we met up in person for the exchange of the item anyway. The reason is that so I won't be carrying a large anount of money with me. I usually do this when I sell mt stuff online and this is the first time I got scammed. The buyer intebtionally erased the words "check deposit" in the deposit slip and I was not even aware. He said "nabasa lang yan". When my girlfriend checked her account online, she also did not notice that themoney reflected on the "current balance" column and not on the "available balance" column to allow for check clearing.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    go all out ☠☠☠

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app