New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing
    The only thing I can say is that FOOD is still a basic human needs...so the agricultural sector must stay!

Peace!
    Of course it has to stay. Kaya first stepping stone to full economic potential.

But, about the big money, of course it can be made... kaya nga sa mga teleserye natin e puro hacienda in the province ang biz ng mga evil rich oppressors. Pero iilan lang yun? When agriculture becomes a high-profit enterprise, konti lang talaga makikinabang. Like sa US, the majority of the United AutoWorkers, I'm sure, are US citizens (current troubles of the UAW notwithstanding) while a lot of the labor in farms is left to the non-citizenry (derogatorically called 'wetbacks')... Meaning... poor wages for hard work.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Naaliw ako sa concepts and opinions ng post...considering that most are probably not even working on the agricultural sector (o mali ba ako?!?)
    nah, IT professional po...and getting a little sick of it quite frankly B)

I am an agriculturist...technically a graduate of BS in Agriculture...I specialize in animals (nutrition in particular)...but I am more into trading sa ganitong sector....to enlighten the first poster of this thread...I regret to tell you that IMO that opionion you got is half-true...
    at this point i'm not really completely sold on the concept; just trying to get inputs which are quite enlightening actually

actually me nabasa lang ako sa "Wealth of Nations" ni Adam Smith. i just
    found it a bit strange since it was written in 1776(?) -- which i think doesn't quite fall into the industrial age, pero here's Adam Smith talking about moving away from agriculture. isip ko tuloy, kung lahat nga naniwala ke Smith, to the point that no one's doing agri anymore...ano ung kakainin natin?

sa loob loob ko lang, simple case of supply and demand. time comes when there isn't enough food to go around, baka ultimong kamote e tataas din ang presyo. in a way feeling ko Smith sorta overlooked this possibility(naku, baka multuhin ako nun!)

sa ngayon lang nga, ang nangyayari kasi ngayon sa agri(at least sa 1st world countries), sobrang efficient ng supply, yet demand really isn't growing that much. kaya pa subsidy subsidy, pa dump dump sa ibang countries, etc. kaya nga siguro pinush ung GATT/free trade e no?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Yup sir badkuk. Kaya dapat strong agri muna, then push for industrialization. or do both, kung kaya ng gov't. (Di kaya ng atin e, dito it's strong gov't first... )

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup...it has to be both...the agri sector will feed your own people who would be doing industrial work,hehehe....

...mahabahaba itong inuman....:toma:

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yup...it has to be both...the agri sector will feed your own people who would be doing industrial work,hehehe....

...mahabahaba itong inuman....:toma:
    add to that of course the knowledge/service sector..... heck, i believe it could even supplant a mass industrial base as long as it is done properly.

also food security is essential. ayoko na me nagugutom na tao at may ibang yumayaman, hindi maganda.

at least dito kalmado tao. sa ibang thread mainit masyado!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the truth about the 1st world being entirely "efficient" in their agricultural sector is not really true to all...sa Pinas our cost to produce pork is one of the highest but the pork you are buying from the super market is one of the cheapest around the world...

the only reason one would say that the imported pork is cheap...it's probably because of one of these reasons:
    1) smuggled - no tax and no proper quality assurance kung ito ba ay safe meat (most of the time eto yung matagal na sa freezer nila and deemed unfit for human).
    2) meat they are "exporting" to third world countries like us is NOT the prime cut ones, these are technically what they call - 2nd class meat ....example the Chicken leg quarters in the US is not a prime cut meat, it is the breast part which is the prime cut meat about US$ 3-4/kg dati and the leg quarters are US$ 0.5-1/kg ang selling price. Americans are health conscious and seldom eat the leg quarters...sa pinoy eto ang mas masarap!
    3) Government subsidies sa "export" market...most 1st world countries encourages export busines and gives a lot of subsidies and tax excemptions to exporters...so they can bring down their cost.

just to info....

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Reading all posts & input of the subject makes me wonder how difficult it is for agriculture to survive, but having personally seen the agri program in Egypt, China, & Taiwan erase all doubts that it can be a profitable one. The only reason i see that phil. fail in agriculture is the Goverment anemic support (financial and technology) and rampant corroption in the system. Just imagine had J-J Bulante use the money properly and effectively in agriculture or perphaps, the pork barrel of tongresman & senatong poured into agriculture program.

In Egypt, the goverment give substantial financial support equivalent to 50% of farmers investment and tax free for 5 yrs. while irrigation system is under the goverment responsibility with a minimal fee to the farmers, almost free.
    My personal view, is that the goverment has to fully support and provide technical knowledge to our farmers, particularly irrigation system and seedling propagation.
    Marketing agri produce likewise has to be upgraded to met exportation standard which again need the support of the goverment, to raise the value of the product.
    In summary, it is sad to say that the Philippines in general has pooled talent & effort into politics sarsuela resulting into uncurable corraption. However, I believed pilipino people are agriculture base and will remain to be.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    agriculture gets a bad rap because it's usually an inefficient way to create wealth. the best way to explain this is through an illustration - if you had 5 hectares of land and 100 workers, would you make more money planting camote or building an auto factory?

however, some people don't have a choice but plant camote - for example, people in countries without access to capital and technology. these countries are typically heavily agricultural because of this, and the inefficiencies have poor GDP per capita. only as the countries accumulate wealth and knowledge and start to industrialize that they start utilizing their resources more effectively and becoming an economic force. China in the past 10 years is an excellent example of this taking place, although one might argue that they still have a long way to go.

it's absolutely true that countries need a strong agricultural sector - but ironically, the strongest agricultural sectors are highly industrialized. instead of using people and tools, the agriculture industry in countries like the US have processes and infrastructure that look more like an assembly line.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Sir wild thing, how right you are.

Sir ebc, agree! Only, we aren't talking of agri surviving but instead we are talking about how much more people benefit with an industrial economy instead of an agricultural one. I'm pretty sure the countries you mentioned have also have agricultural super-specializations: Egyptian cotton (ahhhh), Chinese tomatos, Taiwanese umm, dunno.

Sir M54, as usual, bow ako sayo.

Kahit mga countries with super-value crops poor pa rin... for an extreme example: coca leaf & poppy... the wealth is still concentrated in the hands of a few like Khun Sa, Pablo Escobar, etc.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir unfair example ang planting camote....the crop is not really a very high value one kasi limited ang major user....take the lowly corn instead....this is a very political crop....not everybody knows this, but our government takes so many lobbyist/lobbying to "protect" the philippine corn farmers saying that kawawa naman....

true in a sense that those farming corn are the poor people of the philippines but the "protectionism" implemented on corn is the one that makes the corn prices go up and make the livestock farmers using corn suffer (due to increase in cost to produce ng feeds)...the bad side is, the poor marketing of corn makes the "corn-cartel" enjoy the increase in the corn prices instead of the poor corn farmers enjoying it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
economics and agriculture