New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The main reason I sold the '81 300TD with 370k miles was because it was not a fresh specimen and I grew tired of it, so we upgraded to a '90 300TE with 220k miles. Much fresher, newer design, but same space and usefulness of a wagon.

My family bought an '89 Lancer EL that they bought new, and sold it in '04 for PhP120k due to things breaking down (window regulator, door lock mechanism, leak, engine, etc). Similarly they bought a '95 Corolla XE brand new and sold it in '05 because it was starting to break down.

My grandma bought the '83 300D Benz brand new and gave it to me in '04 because they were relocating and had no use for the Benz. That's how I got my car, and I plan to keep it and pass it on to my children, perhaps even to my grandchildren.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No I dont dispose my ride due to old age or mileage. I will dispose my ride when it is no longer reliable. Like undergoing major repairs or the car frequently stalls on the road. But if it only need minor repairs then I will still keep it no matter how old it gets.

We bought a hilux to actually replace our 12 year old Mitsu L200 with a mileage of 240,000kms. But we decided to keep it since it never stalled us on the road not even a single moment. No overhaul has been done yet (though kailangan na). I religously changed its oil every 4000 or 5000kms since its date of purchase. The timing belt has been changed twice and it has undergone many other minor repairs.

Take care of your ride and it will live a long life. Parang tao rin ang kotse.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Every 5 years. Based kasi sa car plan ng company. Don't want to maintain more than 2 cars in the garage. Talo sa insurance, registration, etc.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Probably age because we do not frequently have long drives.

Still, age will not be the sole criteria. I still have my 1993 Corolla Gli with 135T km bought brand new. No longer the primary vehicle but still driven almost daily mostly short distances around the city. Had underwent repairs and change parts, even repainting.

Usefulness is the primary criteria. Once it spends more shop time than road time then its time to go esp. if in a year's time about 1/3 of the car's current value is spent on its rehabilitation.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ako as long as maganda ba at maganda ang performance, okay pa.

My corolla is 13 years old na.......bought it brand new......

up to this date......57xxx kilometers pa lang.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    What other reasons why you decide to do so?

Age: How old is ideal? How many years before availability parts (doors, fenders, etc.) become scarce?

Mileage: How many kms / miles?
    1995 Ford Contour SE V6 (bought 1994) - 81,000 miles. There's still plenty of parts according to our Ford service center

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 (bought 2005) - 37,000 miles. It'll be my elder daughter's first car when she reaches driving age. Or maybe the Contour.

2006 Honda Odyssey (bought 2008) - 44,000 miles.

We typically keep cars at least 8 years or more.

Add: So far, the Contour hasn't had any major problems and neither has the Sonata.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 10th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Do you dispose your ride because of age or mileage?