New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'm sorry i don't know what show that is as I can't sit infront of the tv for 5mins without feeling uneasy so i usually don't. heehehe.

I found that info somewhere (prolly one of those US univ sites) while researching about Deuterium and it's potential.

Anyway, since deuterium is there, it can be a commodity if we make the demand for it. Meaning, products would be designed around it like car engines. IIRC, Mercedes already made a prototype.

Just like medicines, some countries create deseases to create money out of useless pills. (not that i support that).

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower
    I'm sorry i don't know what show that is as I can't sit infront of the tv for 5mins without feeling uneasy so i usually don't. heehehe.

I found that info somewhere (prolly one of those US univ sites) while researching about Deuterium and it's potential.

Anyway, since deuterium is there, it can be a commodity if we make the demand for it. Meaning, products would be designed around it like car engines. IIRC, Mercedes already made a prototype.

Just like medicines, some countries create deseases to create money out of useless pills. (not that i support that).

So far, all I have found was the space shuttle being used to DETECT deuterium in outer space and other bodies like the moon, etc. No mention of actually using a deuterium moderated nuclear reactor in space from a ground launched vehicle.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    apart from converting to just hydrogen... deuterium is now the main focus for nuclear fusion research. its holy grail is deuterium-deuterium reaction (though it needs higher temperatures & pressure) which is non-radioactive in nature.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    well it might be costly compared to oil but if the world's oil deposits depletes then i guess we dont have any choice but swallow the price....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    So far, all I have found was the space shuttle being used to DETECT deuterium in outer space and other bodies like the moon, etc. No mention of actually using a deuterium moderated nuclear reactor in space from a ground launched vehicle.
    google: "hydrogen fluoride laser"

this isn't being used yet in current space shuttles but lab testing are now on-going to harness deuterium as the next rocket fuel.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uls
    ok... so there's riches under the Philippine Sea.

So we just have to get it and sell it and become rich.

umm... who will do the get-it part?
    oh we pinoys will get it alright. but we need the Americans to lead it for us coz if we do it ourselves, meaning our own leaders, baka sa equipment pa lang overcharge na

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nope... with pinoys, the politicians will be arguing to no end which one of them will be the one to "discover" the deuterium sources within the philippines territory.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    google: "hydrogen fluoride laser"

this isn't being used yet in current space shuttles but lab testing are now on-going to harness deuterium as the next rocket fuel.
    taken from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fluoride_laser

Hydrogen fluoride laser is an infrared chemical laser. It is capable of delivering continuous output power in megawatt range.

Hydrogen fluoride laser operates at the wavelength of 2.7-2.9 µm. This wavelength is absorbed by the atmosphere, effectively attenuating the beam and reducing its reach, unless used in vacuum. However, when deuterium is used instead of hydrogen, the deuterium fluoride, lases at the wavelength of about 3.8 µm. This makes the deuterium fluoride laser usable for terrestrial operations.

The deuterium fluoride laser constructionally resembles a rocket engine. In the combustion chamber, ethylene is burned in nitrogen trifluoride. This reaction produces free excited fluorine radicals. Just after the nozzle, the mixture of helium and hydrogen or deuterium gas is injected to the exhaust stream; the hydrogen or deuterium reacts with the fluorine radicals, producing excited molecules of deuterium or hydrogen fluoride. The excited molecules then undergo stimulated emission in the optical resonator region of the laser.

Deuterium fluoride lasers have found military applications: the MIRACL laser, the Pulsed Energy Projectile and the Tactical High Energy Lasers are of the deuterium fluoride type.

The underlined sentence might explain deuterium for rockets. The laser RESEMBLES a rocket engine, not acts as a rocket engine.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Every politician will be fighting over pieces of the deuterium revenue pie.

And they are going to screw it up for the Phils.

Too many cooks...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uls
    Too many cooks...
    sir uls, wrong spelling ka ata; kulang ng 'r' after the 'c' :D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Deuterium - the next energy source?