New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanren View Post
    Authoritarian states like Russia need to have a strong case for being one (authoritarian). They have to find an "enemy" outside to justify its hold on power because if it fails to present a strong case, then its people may force the state to embrace democratic reforms. Its like saying 'cmon let's become a strong state so that we will be able to counter the threat of the west- Democracy may only weaken us' ..

In reality though, the threat may not even exist... In the long run however, there will always be these kinds of conflicts because heads of states are there to represent the interests of their people.
    Last I heard, Russia is already a democratic state. Putin was freely elected by its people. It's just that many old-timers must feel bad at seeing their country being left out in the world stage.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit if Russia becomes a major player once more. It's the largest country in the world and if anyone ever noticed, most recent superpowers have been the bigger countries: USA, USSR, China. I'm not sure why. But, I imagine it's because the larger countries can hold a bigger population and can survive an invasion/attack much better than a smaller country. China's poised to be the next big superpower. Canada and Australia aren't there yet because of their relatively small populations. I'll hazard a guess that once their populations increase sufficiently, they'll be on their way to becoming superpowers. Probably not in my lifetime, though

I imagine that's why the countries in Europe have formed the European Union. It gives an impression of a bigger country with a lot bigger population. But, the wildly differing cultures, language, equipment, national pride, etc will make coordination during war very difficult.

As for a new Cold War between Russia and the US, I don't think it is. The Cold War was really a clash of doctrines: democracy vs communism. Russia already lost that one. The current situation seems more like a spat than anything else. If there'll be another Cold War, it won't be between the US and Russia.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 9th, 2007 at 09:26 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Last I heard, Russia is already a democratic state. Putin was freely elected by its people. It's just that many old-timers must feel bad at seeing their country being left out in the world stage.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit if Russia becomes a major player once more. It's the largest country in the world and if anyone ever noticed, most recent superpowers have been the bigger countries: USA, USSR, China. I'm not sure why. But, I imagine it's because the larger countries can hold a bigger population and can survive an invasion/attack much better than a smaller country. China's poised to be the next big superpower. Canada and Australia aren't there yet because of their relatively small populations. I'll hazard a guess that once their populations increase sufficiently, they'll be on their way to becoming superpowers. Probably not in my lifetime, though

I imagine that's why the countries in Europe have formed the European Union. It gives an impression of a bigger country with a lot bigger population. But, the wildly differing cultures, language, equipment, national pride, etc will make coordination during war very difficult.

As for a new Cold War between Russia and the US, I don't think it is. The Cold War was really a clash of doctrines: democracy vs communism. Russia already lost that one. The current situation seems more like a spat than anything else. If there'll be another Cold War, it won't be between the US and Russia.
    By Western standards, Russia still has a long way to go if we are to talk about democratic reforms. Remember that the US often criticizes the slow pace of democractic reforms Russia (and even in China) had initiated. As of this time, it is still illegal to assemble on the streets and protest. Some tried doing that a few days ago (remember Kasparov was arrested for leading one of the demos) but the democratic movement eventually lost steam and fizzled out.

Its a good thing that both US and Russia are slowly coming to terms with the missile defense shield at the G8 summit. But perhaps, this is only good on paper. When these leaders go home to their countries, expect the rhetorics to increase.

As these two countries are busy buzzing up each other, China is secretly perfecting its anti satellite missile system. I agree with sir Jun that population has something to do with being a superpower. Isn't Britain a big and prosperous country for so long and has not attained that status ever since?

Ang Philippines kaya kelan magiging superpower?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Cold War, up again???