New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by forceG View Post
    My daughter is in IS, naging frustration din namin ni wifey na baloktok tongue ni daughter speaking our dialect and she cant express herself using it kaya always English na lang sya.. ngaun naman shes taking Chinese and Japanese..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    it's always nice to know another, non-native language.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well, 'tis common knowledge,
    many chinese kids cry in frustration, because of their chinese class.
    and many filipinos have filipino as among their lowest marks in school.
    when we were young, speaking filipino within the confines of the school, was forbidden and came with a penalty. the only time filipino was allowed, was in filipino class.
    times have changed.
    Really? I went to school there and everyone spoke Tagalog. The exceptions were me and others who came from abroad....and there were quite a few of us. I learned some Tagalog like I learned Spanish. I was able to speak words and phrases. But, it's not the same as speaking the language I think in because I always thought in English. While I was there, I spoke Filipino in words and maybe a few phrases. But, never in a full-blown conversation. You know, words like Para! when I want to get off a jeepney. But, I was the quiet type while I was there.

My friends and teammates were no help. They just kept teaching me Tagalog words for body parts and I remember them to this day. The rest I dumped when I returned here.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Yes it is! Sa hospital, kapag alam nila na mayaman grabeh ang accommodation, parang hari o rayna. Pero pag puno ka ng uling, snub ang aabotin mo. Minsan nga may napapatay dahil pinabayaan kasi walang pera.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Really? I went to school there and everyone spoke Tagalog. The exceptions were me and others who came from abroad....and there were quite a few of us. I learned some Tagalog like I learned Spanish. I was able to speak words and phrases. But, it's not the same as speaking the language I think in because I always thought in English. While I was there, I spoke Filipino in words and maybe a few phrases. But, never in a full-blown conversation. You know, words like Para! when I want to get off a jeepney. But, I was the quiet type while I was there.

My friends and teammates were no help. They just kept teaching me Tagalog words for body parts and I remember them to this day. The rest I dumped when I returned here.
    my school back then, was strongly influenced, if not controlled, by iberian furriners. at that time, it was still predominantly american cars on the road. toyota was still being introduced.
    nationalism was still in its infancy. asian development bank was still non-existent.

even today, "i dream in english".
    heh heh.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Sorry, this is OT, but since we are talking about English & Tagalog languages.... imagine yourself as a foreigner in an elevator and hear a Pinoy ask the operator “Miss, bababa ba?”
    “Bababa ka ba?
    Operator: opo, bababa.
    Tagalog is a funny language.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my school back then, was strongly influenced, if not controlled, by iberian furriners. at that time, it was still predominantly american cars on the road. toyota was still being introduced.
    nationalism was still in its infancy. asian development bank was still non-existent.

even today, "i dream in english".
    heh heh.
    I was here during Marcos' time as a dictator. He was pretty nationalistic (in his own way). I mean, I recall having to stand with a formation of all the students in front of the PH flag singing something. I had no idea what we sang. But, the whole thing reminded me of the Cold War commie propaganda videos. I remember thinking, "What the hell am I doing here?"

Imagine me there and the week prior when I was in a US school. Culture shock, for sure. ;)

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Is Class Discrimination Common Among Filipinos?