New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Aside from GM's labor problems, another factor is that the high prices of fuel combined with the gas-guzzling SUV's of GM are somehow making more and more Americans purchase the more fuel-efficient cars of Toyota (like the Rav4 & the Camry)...

On a lighter note, it's US vs. Japs again---and I thought the war ended after the Hiroshima bombing... Ha ha!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
    Aside from GM's labor problems, another factor is that the high prices of fuel combined with the gas-guzzling SUV's of GM are somehow making more and more Americans purchase the more fuel-efficient cars of Toyota (like the Rav4 & the Camry)...

On a lighter note, it's US vs. Japs again---and I thought the war ended after the Hiroshima bombing... Ha ha!
    OT
    I know what you meant to say. But, there was still the Nagasaki bombing on Aug 9th (Hiroshima was Aug 6th) plus, dogfights between US and Japanese warplanes went on even after Nagasaki. There was at least one dogfight that occurred even after Emperor Hirohito announced his country's surrender on the radio.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 12th, 2007 at 06:50 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post

That's a common misconception about Americans abandoning big engined vehicles but the truth is sales pick up again after the gas prices show some decline. Fuel prices in the US normally rises heading towards the memorial day weekend and start declining again after unless a hurricane like Katrina strikes. The same process again happens heading to winter and declines towards spring. The trucks/SUV's of GM still sell the problem is their cars and the high operating cost because of labor benefits. Toyota, Nissan, Honda all introduced new entry level cars like the Yaris, Versa, and Fit but those cars still isn't selling as much as people think they would. The fact is the US still sells gas at a lower price than a majority of the countries in the world and unless you put prices at $5-7 per gallon American preference in cars will not change. The average cost of gas now in the US is $3.07 per gallon or $0.81 per liter which converts to Php38.88 per liter * $1=Php48, I believe that is cheaper than the Philippines. Even if the prices were raised to $5-7per gallon American tend to forget what it cost the previous years so they may continue buying big engined cars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
CEO's...