New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    My cynical take on this:

Software sales are probably down this year and some companies are lobbying the PAPT to help hit targets.

-----------

We have hundreds of millions of pesos worth of licenses, and all our installs are fully documented... and yet we get "visited" almost yearly. Hopefully this year is different... but that's probably wishful thinking.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    My cynical take on this:

Software sales are probably down this year and some companies are lobbying the PAPT to help hit targets.
    Software companies uses this annually to boost their sales, especially when nearing the end of their fiscal year. Number one would be Microsoft.

Part of the US/Phil relations agreement that we cut down on software piracy.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 8th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My friend was sent a similar letter last year. She was wondering why it was addressed to her, as she wasn't even in the IT department or upper management. We repeatedly tried calling the numbers in the letter but consistently there was no answer. Their legal department sent photocopies of the licenses on each computer. Still no answer from PAPT, OMB or NBI. Makes me feel that it might be a "fund raising" scheme for these "agents".

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    My friend was sent a similar letter last year. She was wondering why it was addressed to her, as she wasn't even in the IT department or upper management. We repeatedly tried calling the numbers in the letter but consistently there was no answer. Their legal department sent photocopies of the licenses on each computer. Still no answer from PAPT, OMB or NBI. Makes me feel that it might be a "fund raising" scheme for these "agents".
    It is just PAPT's job to carpet bomb the entire metro with it's warning letters to all potential business offices.

Business owners, who don't know better, would panic and buy enough legit copies for all his PCs. That makes US based software companies happy and that makes Uncle Sam happy too until same time next year.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Just a heads up that it's almost that time of year for the "Pilipinas Anti-Piracy" team to start sending out their annual greeting letters & scare tactics.

Their website....

LINK: Pilipinas Anti Piracy Team

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If a company needs a specific commercial software in order to do business, I think it's only fair that they buy the licenses for it. PAPT, Microsoft, etc. is not forcing anyone (beyond strong marketing) to use commercial software.
    Last edited by oj88; July 19th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    If a company needs a specific commercial software in order to do business, I think it's only fair that they buy the licenses for it. PAPT, Microsoft, etc. is not forcing anyone (beyond strong marketing) to use commercial software.

Is that the current terminology for scare tactics or scare marketing?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Is that the current terminology for scare tactics or scare marketing?
    As we're living in the p2p generation, software makers are probably stressing the point that software piracy is punishable by law. I would like to think that if one's software is properly licensed, that notice will just be all bark and no bite.

It's almost the same as getting a final notice from the electric company that they'll cut off your power if you don't pay within the next several days.

Btw, I don't work for MS or any software company, but I eat, drink and sleep I.T.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    As we're living in the p2p generation, software makers are probably stressing the point that software piracy is punishable by law. I would like to think that if one's software is properly licensed, that notice will just be all bark and no bite..

I do know it's more bark than bite (more fishing expedition than anything else) but I still resent it whenever their letters arrive on my desk.

It makes me feel as if I have been unjustly accused of a crime I didn't commit.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I do know it's more bark than bite (more fishing expedition than anything else) but I still resent it whenever their letters arrive on my desk.

It makes me feel as if I have been unjustly accused of a crime I didn't commit.
    I hear you. I guess it's one thing to read about it on the paper and another if it's specifically addressed to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Annual harassment letter from "Pilipinas Anti Piracy"