New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Pag successful iyan,- malamang, i promote na tayo sa "investment grade level"....

17.2K:type:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here is what the mailman left today.... more or less right on schedule.

PAGE 1

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 4

PAGE 5

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i wonder how did they arrive at the percentage of PC's with pirated software in the first place? ... especially no one actually makes a survey or census of such.

- - - Updated - - -

i wonder how did they arrive at the percentage of PC's with pirated software in the first place? ... especially no one actually makes a survey or census of such.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    They're more like generalizations. There are tools that can be used to check a business' software license compliance, among others. One particular tool is Microsoft's Software Asset Management (SAM). The most abused license type is volume license (VL) and I've seen how some companies abuse an allocated 50 VL keys to activate 500 or more copies of Windows, for example. That's why they're more keen on targeting businesses.
    Last edited by oj88; October 30th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    They're more like generalizations. There are tools that can be used to check a business' software license compliance, among others. One particular tool is Microsoft's Software Asset Management (SAM). The most abused license type is volume license (VL) and I've seen how some companies abuse an allocated 50 VL keys to activate 500 or more copies of Windows, for example. That's why they're more keen on targeting businesses.

IF they are generalizations, how could they say software piracy has increased by 1 percent in the last year? You can read the news clipping on PAGE 3 above stating the increase from 60% to 70%...

Assuming a business does not use any legal copy of WIndows, I can presume that is not part of Microsoft's Software Asset Management data.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    IF they are generalizations, how could they say software piracy has increased by 1 percent in the last year? You can read the news clipping on PAGE 3 above stating the increase from 60% to 70%...

Assuming a business does not use any legal copy of WIndows, I can presume that is not part of Microsoft's Software Asset Management data.
    I just told you one possibility where that data can be based from. I am not all that familiar with their other methods.

But I don't see how we should split hairs over the 1% increase to 70%. To me i's just a number and unless it's down to near zero, I personally don't see how one could fault MS for trying to go after software pirates.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I just told you one possibility where that data can be based from. I am not all that familiar with their other methods.

But I don't see how we should split hairs over the 1% increase to 70%. To me i's just a number and unless it's down to near zero, I personally don't see how one could fault MS for trying to go after software pirates.

MS is just the lead because they are one of the companies with the most to gain.... but others would be not far behind like Adobe, Autodesk, Corel, etc.

As much as it seems great to have "legal" softwares, there was a time when unregistered softwares was the norm and it does give one a lot of freedom to try new things including learning new trades like trying photoshop (for cheap) or learning autocad without having to shell out thousands and thousands of pesos. I thank the software pirates for this.

As for splitting hairs over the 1% ... it's just going to be a sign that in the following year we might see an increase in activity from the Pilipinas Anti-Software Piracy group, including harassment and raids on PC rental business, etc. I never liked having "big brother" snooping around before and I still don't like it today. The only reason why we have cheap software from companies like MS are the software pirates themselves. They create competition for legit companies to offer "affordable" options to expensive software & operating systems.

Much like AMDG from years ago... a group of people found it profitable to suddenly register a few popular games as their own intellectual property and illicitly benefited hundreds of thousands of pesos from each hard working PC shop owner.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Annual harassment letter from "Pilipinas Anti Piracy"