New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    BTW, one of our employees recently got tripped by those ATM scan gangs. Be careful at the ATMs people.
    Primo, what did you mean by "tripped"? Held at gun/knife point?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Primo, what did you mean by "tripped"? Held at gun/knife point?
    His ATM card was scanned, cloned, and all the remaining cash in his account was immediately withdrawn from several ATMs. The poor guy was shocked to log onto his E-banking and see get a zero balance (he lost around Php 7K... not much but for a simple, hardworking dude supporting his family, that's already a heavy hit). Right now the bank is still investigating the matter.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Citibank? but it can't be, laki ng ADB nila, unless you managed to have that waived.
    Savings. Payroll

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    His ATM card was scanned, cloned, and all the remaining cash in his account was immediately withdrawn from several ATMs. The poor guy was shocked to log onto his E-banking and see get a zero balance (he lost around Php 7K... not much but for a simple, hardworking dude supporting his family, that's already a heavy hit). Right now the bank is still investigating the matter.
    Oh? Meron na pala nyan dito! How do they get to scan the card? They jury-rig something onto the ATM machine?

Re: Banks, I have no headaches with BPI.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Yup. From what i know they install a scanner/skimmer where you insert the card which is made to look like a part of the ATM machine. It clones your card and has a camera that can read your PIN input.

My advice is to always maintain a small amount in your ATM account. You can open a separate savings account in the same bank where you can keep a bulk of your monthly budget cash then do an e-banking transfer to your ATM account when you need to withdraw.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Oh? Meron na pala nyan dito! How do they get to scan the card? They jury-rig something onto the ATM machine?

Re: Banks, I have no headaches with BPI.
    Usually the gang would attach a legit looking video screen, card reader & keypad to the ATM machine. You put in your card and go through the motions of punching in your pin code, etc... but the device will say it cannot dispense cash at the moment so you go off elsewhere. Later, the gang with return to retrieve their device and use the recorded info to make clone ATM card and withdraw the cash.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    My advice is to always maintain a small amount in your ATM account.

Ah! ... Small amount it is, my payroll ATM now only has Php 1.20.

Thanks for the info. I will now scrutinize the appearance of an ATM before I make a transaction.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ^ Yup. From what i know they install a scanner/skimmer where you insert the card which is made to look like a part of the ATM machine. It clones your card and has a camera that can read your PIN input.

My advice is to always maintain a small amount in your ATM account. You can open a separate savings account in the same bank where you can keep a bulk of your monthly budget cash then do an e-banking transfer to your ATM account when you need to withdraw.
    Also may inconspicuous cam na nakatutok sa keypad para sa pin, kaya takban mo rin kamay mo habang nagpipin, kapain na lang haha.

Ang gingawa ko eh may suki na kong atm machine at ito ay nasa loob ng bangko katabi ng mga sekyu.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Savings. Payroll
    Ah, oo nga pala may Citibank Savings pa pala dito. Akala ko sa Citibank NA. :-)

Thanks for the info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123