Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    That was it?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Yes! Exactly. If you get to stay around a province like Bulacan long enough, you'll probably notice a lot of what I'm talking about. After more than 10 years of residence here at Plaridel, it sometimes gets more conspicuous over the years.

^
    I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong. I just desire change, I have to get real, and it can't be crab mentality that drives me to think the way I do. If I can think of our country as a good place to be in, then certainly there are my own preferences (and stereotypes) that come in; like a country without mail-order brides and/or b*tches or whatever relatively more politically correct term we can coin for that kind of a person. If we come to think of it, the US is no better place when it comes to hookers, and desiring change for our own means it doesn't count as something else. Seeing what's bad in something can lead to better results.

And I'm just sick of the country being something like this, that's all. But that doesn't mean that I have to leave like some suggest. Don't put me in the hot seat for speaking out my mind, please. I'm sharing my story, I don't have to prove myself right. This is my opinion, this is a forum, and this is the beauty of it. It's never anything personal across forumers. Got it? Peace.

non argumentum ad hominem.
    I'm not putting you in the hot seat nor getting personal with you either. I just talk straight and say things as they are but I wasn't really talking about nor referring to you specifically, but rather, the general public.

I've been to bulacan too. I have relatives and very good friends there. Women from Bulacan I know are usually very pretty. I have fond memories of Bulacan including my first street brawl because local folks suddenly thought about tripping out on me because as a Manila boy having a vacation, I was quite popular with the girls. It was a successful fight which ended having the other guy in tears because he lost his front teeth. I earned respect from the local gangs after that, nobody tripped on me ever again.

About being realistic. We have to accept first and foremost, the fact that people have the freedom to do what they want within the bounds of law. we are living in country a run under the democracy system (which is actually the WORST form of Govt). If people want to advertise themselves as willing fiancees for foreigners, I see no law that can stop them. We also have to realize that we can't control everything. The sooner we realize this, the better. Personally, I really don't give a crap about our Govt. I just do about things I want to do.

Actually, there's nothing wrong in leaving per se as I have multitudes of friends & relatives who migrated. I just wanted to know your insight about migrating to other countries. Personally, I learned to appreciate and love the motherland Philippines more when I left for a long vacation the first time.

chill :D
    Last edited by Horsepower; May 20th, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Over acting na si Sen. Bong dito tungkol sa comment ni Baldwin, isa siyang mambabatas, tapos hahamunin niya ng suntukan si Baldwin

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gusto lang nya mailagay sa dailies. Hindi na kasi sya pinag-uusapan. Ika nga, bad publicity is still publicity.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    I'm not putting you in the hot seat nor getting personal with you either. I just talk straight and say things as they are but I wasn't really talking about nor referring to you specifically, but rather, the general public.
    No prob man!

I've been to bulacan too. I have relatives and very good friends there. Women from Bulacan I know are usually very pretty.
    You can take that to the bank!

About being realistic. We have to accept first and foremost, the fact that people have the freedom to do what they want within the bounds of law. we are living in country a run under the democracy system (which is actually the WORST form of Govt). If people want to advertise themselves as willing fiancees for foreigners, I see no law that can stop them. We also have to realize that we can't control everything. The sooner we realize this, the better. Personally, I really don't give a crap about our Govt. I just do about things I want to do.
    Yep, democracy is probably the worst thing man has invented since the septic tank. It never worked! It's something like the "everyone else does it" mentality. Everyone would choose the common good, even if the common good is no good at all. Hey, we don't even have moral standards on these kinds of marriages!!!

Actually, there's nothing wrong in leaving per se as I have multitudes of friends & relatives who migrated. I just wanted to know your insight about migrating to other countries. Personally, I learned to appreciate and love the motherland Philippines more when I left for a long vacation the first time.

chill :D
    I spent a month at the US last April. I was never homesick since I never spent a day not seeing another Tagalog-speaking person! Personally, I already have a mindset to leave the country as soon as I graduate. I plan to continue my studies at the US and maybe change my citizenship if given the chance of a job that I would want. I never liked my parents' idea of getting married to a US citizen because it sucks to marry someone I don't even love just for the sake of being a legal US resident. What's the point of getting married in the first place, right? Bahala na si Batman. I love the simple life back there, but I won't trade my future family for anything, not even a green card and all the riches it can provide. It's only through this that I would be proud to establish myself as a person. That's pretty much my master plan for the rest of my life. I really wouldn't want to work for a government like what we have here and a society that tolerates the continuing of it. As The Daily Bread suggests, "if you can't change the people around you, change the people you are around with."

And if we talk of pride and dignity, maybe that's the last thing on the back of the mail-order bride's mind.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    eto nanaman tayo sa mga OA na reaction among pinoys.

doesn't take a critical analyst to see that what's he is saying is true.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Classic "Making a mountain out of a molehill."

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Baldwin: Sorry for Pinay mail-order bride remark

05/21/2009 | 02:00 PM

MANILA, Philippines - After receiving flak from Filipinos worldwide, 30 Rock star Alec Baldwin on Wednesday apologized for joking that he was interested in buying himself a Filipina wife.

“I apologize for the perceived insensitivity of that remark," Baldwin said in his blog posted at the Huffington Post website.

On May 12, the 51-year-old Hollywood actor told David Letterman on the “Late Show" how he thought of getting, or buying, himself a Filipina bride.

“I think about getting a Filipino mail-order bride at this point or a Russian one, I don’t care, I’m 51," he told Letterman.

The show’s host, responding to the seemingly funny joke, replied: “Get one for me [also], for later." [See: Alec Baldwin's Letterman interview]

This, however, solicited much negative attention from Filipino locals and officials. [See: ’Alec Baldwin doesn’t deserve a Filipina wife’]

But Baldwin said his joke was just meant to “achieve the goal of having more children in [his] life."

“I believe that most people understood that this was a joke and took it as such. (A dated reference, no doubt, and another sign of my advancing age)," he said.

The actor, however, still apologized to people whom he said “took offense."

“The comments of some Philippine government officials come as no surprise to me, either," he said, citing the comment made by Senator Ramon “Bong" Revilla that he would beat up Baldwin if ever he came to the country. [See: Alec Baldwin's ‘RP mail-order bride remark’ irks senator]

In addition, the veteran artist said he “understands" why Filipinos react like that to such comments.

“Such anger and frustration about the issue of *** trafficking is understandable. The Philippines has suffered significant problems with the issue of *** trafficking," he said.

In 2007, the Philippines was placed in Tier 2 by the US Department of State’s Trafficking in Persons Report for not fully complying with the Trafficking Victims Protection Act’s minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking. - Kimberly Jane T. Tan, GMANews.TV
    Nag sorry na si Baldwin

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    just curious, did a russian government official reacted the same way BR did?

ang lupit ni kuya bong, babasagin daw ang mukha ni alec baldwin pag nagkita sila. linya nila max alvarado at paquito diaz yan e, ok lang kase di naman sila mga senador

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    eto nanaman tayo sa mga OA na reaction among pinoys.

doesn't take a critical analyst to see that what's he is saying is true.
    Agree that we tend to over react on issues that is'nt favorable to us.
    Funny thing thou eh tayo ring mismong mga pilipino ang madalas magsalita ng di maganda sa ting mga kapwa pilipino.

Foreigners cant talk **** about us but we can!

BTW, there are truths in what baldwin said(Mail order bride thing),
    but the way he said it was distasteful to some of us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Alec Baldwin's "Filipino mail order bride" comment