New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Actually ... monograde oil is OK .. we're living in the sunny tropics!
    +1 to this. Life and efficiency of a diesel engine is not "mainly" on the type of fuel but the "quality/state" it has.... meaning, to as long as you religiously replace the oil as recommended (every 5,000 kilometers or 3 mos, whichever comes first), then you're good.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I want a W201 Turbodiesel

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    * absinthe

actually .. any diesel MB nowadays ... is a "prized" posession ..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks mga sir...if you know anyone selling and how much, please do advise. what brand is recommended?

as for the gasket, again you're right on the dot lowslow! same thing the mechanic said...makapal yun asbestos, dapat daw yun paper type. will look for Velumoid sa suki ko.

hope my water pump holds a bit longer till i get a replacement.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    For the water pump brand:

Try, Graf, Meyle, or Laso.

I would recommend Laso because the parts are (really) made in Germany. And I use them too. Graf and Meyle are made in Spain and Turkey respectively.

Meyle is the least in my choice since they have manufacturing contracts with China ..

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    * absinthe

actually .. any diesel MB nowadays ... is a "prized" posession ..
    Hehe tama kayo dyan Ser. Gusto ko din W124 TE na TD. Hehe.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy569 View Post
    thanks to both your replies...at least now am more confident that my engine is giving me good mileage.

As for the Petron turbo diesel, i have proven 2 things as compared to shell velocity diesel:
    1. It makes the engine run a bit quieter. Specially on cold starts in the morning, dati rinig talaga tappets but when i PTDiesel nawala yun ingay ng tappets (I swear!)
    2. Improved engine power/torque. It's like an octane boost, when i push on the pedal i can really feel the power. May hatak talaga, parang gas engine ang dating as compared to ordinary diesel - shell velocity diesel doesn't give my car this much juice.

But as far as fuel economy/consumption goes, ganun pa rin 420km for 50ltrs.
    I even tried driving at an average of 55kph. ganun pa rin. So fuel economy is basically URBAN LEGEND.

Would using synthetic oil give me better mileage or is this just another urban legend?

appreciate your inputs.
    Icheck mo muna ang air filter at baka madumi na.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    i just got a water pump from Delodur. Meyle brand. Will have it replaced this week and papasabay ko na din yun oil pump gasket. Hopefully that will be the last major mechanical repair for the year.

Thanks to all the help mga sir!

Sana lng may mag-post na owner ng same model ng oto ko. I would really want to see another 190d 2.5.

Another question pala. How can i clean old adhesive from the dash? I took out the wood trims kasi para all black na yun dash and now yun residue from the adhesive (rugby ba yun) naman ang problema ko...any idea guys?
    TIA

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy569 View Post
    thanks to both your replies...at least now am more confident that my engine is giving me good mileage.

As for the Petron turbo diesel, i have proven 2 things as compared to shell velocity diesel:
    1. It makes the engine run a bit quieter. Specially on cold starts in the morning, dati rinig talaga tappets but when i PTDiesel nawala yun ingay ng tappets (I swear!)
    2. Improved engine power/torque. It's like an octane boost, when i push on the pedal i can really feel the power. May hatak talaga, parang gas engine ang dating as compared to ordinary diesel - shell velocity diesel doesn't give my car this much juice.

But as far as fuel economy/consumption goes, ganun pa rin 420km for 50ltrs.
    I even tried driving at an average of 55kph. ganun pa rin. So fuel economy is basically URBAN LEGEND.

Would using synthetic oil give me better mileage or is this just another urban legend?

appreciate your inputs.
    as per engine oil usage.. i have a w123 240d and we have been using for a more than 15 years already... putting on a synthetic oil for a very old engine isnt that economical... due to wear and tear on the cylinder wall and pistons, etc.. gaps woudl have developed already.. kung sa manual tingnan mo , pwede ang synthetic but that was when it was brand new and maybe 5 years in usage... iv been using a 15w40 grade engine oil before but i noticed that when the egnine got hot enough, the tendecy is that the oil is so thin or too flowing that the engine starts to shake, parang the oil is loosing its lubricancy due to gaps and age of the engine.,, by the way, i havents overhauled my engine yet since we bought it and wasnt overhauled also by the 1st owner... so, i tried using a thicker oil, that way when the engine is hot the oil is still a bit thick and wont be too liquid..

my indicator would be the oil pressure on the dash...once the oil is too liquid for the engine, the pressure drops...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
    as per engine oil usage.. i have a w123 240d and we have been using for a more than 15 years already... putting on a synthetic oil for a very old engine isnt that economical... due to wear and tear on the cylinder wall and pistons, etc.. gaps woudl have developed already.. kung sa manual tingnan mo , pwede ang synthetic but that was when it was brand new and maybe 5 years in usage... iv been using a 15w40 grade engine oil before but i noticed that when the egnine got hot enough, the tendecy is that the oil is so thin or too flowing that the engine starts to shake, parang the oil is loosing its lubricancy due to gaps and age of the engine.,, by the way, i havents overhauled my engine yet since we bought it and wasnt overhauled also by the 1st owner... so, i tried using a thicker oil, that way when the engine is hot the oil is still a bit thick and wont be too liquid..

my indicator would be the oil pressure on the dash...once the oil is too liquid for the engine, the pressure drops...
    so would a 15w40 oil be ok or what would you recommend? am using mobil 1140 na monograde 40w

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
W201 190d owners and lovers post here!