New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    * Darren: When you start attending club meets, make sure you bring AT LEAST ONE stewardess with you to introduce to the gang....
    *Bob, * Francis,*Docgorio stewardess? ahh... sa ibang airline na lang. Masisira image ko dyan... he he... Binuking mo pangalan ko dito Bob eh paano pa tayo mag-ooperate under cover nyan? Better yet kuha na lang tayo sa Airforce 1. Madami daw dun, naka uniform pa ng mg airline... your choice, Cathay, PAL, Emirates...he he...

Back to the topic, docgorio, your 400K-500K is good enough.
    As a matter of fact, I was in the hunt for the S124 the other day. Saw one from this site. I brought a Benz mechanic with me. The S124 was nice on the outside, some minor things on the paint. Interior was ok, but not perfect, some missing items, some switches not working.
    I took the car for a spin. Walang kalampag, ride is still nice. The acceleration, very poor! I compared it to driving a 1.3 Corolla (no offense to Corolla owners). The engine, is in need of big repairs... but repairable. The mechanic's recommendation "pwede na" but "madami gagawin sa makina". Estimated cost for engine repair: 40K- 80K.
    The car can be haggled down to P260,000 from P333,000.
    Infairness to the owner, he's very accomodating & honest.
    Lesson: Mura but madami papagawa. How much premium are you putting into the time & headaches & the search for parts vs a car na sasakyan na lang?
    Based on my experience, I'd say: just go for the ride & drive.
    I have leads for a good 300TD & 300TE & 230TE. PM me if you are interested. The 300TE might be gone this Saturday & I am the second option of the seller, I can pass it to you. Nice car, I just dont like the color (Red on black-gray interior). Not my cup of tea.
    ps: I can give you my mechanics number if you're into your search you'll need one.

Cheers everyone!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Naku, I really hope they're still around when I get back...

Sa mga "FA" na lang muna tayo!!! Hehehehehehehe........

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    Kilala ko yang brand na yan!!!! Meron di ako niyan eh!!! Kindly read the very first post of this thread... Hehehehe...

As in any used car or even a brand new unit for that matter, it's a matter of hit and miss. You might have a unit of the "KIDLAT" brand (or any brand for that matter) but it's built like a safe but the one your neighbor got is made of paste... It will all depend on how you took care of the car. If it's bordering on obsessive/compulsive it will reward you with decades of enjoyment. Treat it like trash and it will likewise treat you like one.

Now that both of us have some experience with our first German car (remember that tagline??) we are now more aware on what to look out for...

BJ71, I do hope you and I find the "right" German car for us!!!!!!
    uh... that other "german" car brand you guys are referring to isnt exactly "german" anymore in the present world... (after being owned by a very large automotive conglomerate that was famous for re-badging models to suit different markets)... although .... with due respect to the brand... it was a steadfast and "solid-german" brand decades ago... and that is what the present day cars are capitalizing upon...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I suddenly got interested in the W124 due to "hard-up days in Singapore."

As everyone knows, cars are extremely expensive in SG (example: Mazda3 1.6L $68000 SGD). You actually end up spending the same monthly amortization there and here, but only because 10-year term ang loan nila! (and mababa interest)

Anyway one can get a 1989 - 1990 200E W124 for about $11000 SGD with 2-3 years left on the COE. That's very important because a 10-year COE is about $16000 SGD today.

So.. good idea or bad idea?

One can also get a 1992 BMW E36 for a bit more (say $14000 SGD). Of course these being ancient cars I have the feeling the W124 is more DIY-friendly / easier to repair / more durable..

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Given the facts you stated, the answer really is in your hands.
    The W124 in Singapore vs a BMW E36 (or any car Jap for that matter) - no doubt, I'd go for the W124 anytime. Yes its a very durable car & DIY friendly. Plus the fact that an ancient car in Singapore is not "laspag" as it should be due to good & clean roads, clean fuels, clean environment & less stop & go traffic.
    W124 parts are very much available in Singapore, so another plus.
    On the 2-3 years left on the COE... hmmm...? do your Math & see if its worth the remaining years.
    So + (plus) on the choice of car,
    but - (minus) on the remaining COE.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Given the facts you stated, the answer really is in your hands.
    The W124 in Singapore vs a BMW E36 (or any car Jap for that matter) - no doubt, I'd go for the W124 anytime. Yes its a very durable car & DIY friendly. Plus the fact that an ancient car in Singapore is not "laspag" as it should be due to good & clean roads, clean fuels, clean environment & less stop & go traffic.
    W124 parts are very much available in Singapore, so another plus.
    On the 2-3 years left on the COE... hmmm...? do your Math & see if its worth the remaining years.
    So + (plus) on the choice of car,
    but - (minus) on the remaining COE.
    And you asked this in the Mercedes section...

Long term ownership as what I've read, Mercedes Benz interiors also last longer and better than BMW interiors especially for the older models.

An E36 is not a direct competitor to the W124, that should be the E34 FWIW. I'm just sayin'

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Coming over from an E36 316I before moving over to the Benz camp, I'd say na mas madali ang maintenance ng Benz compared to BMW.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Coming over from an E36 316I before moving over to the Benz camp, I'd say na mas madali ang maintenance ng Benz compared to BMW.

Galing ka pala ng "dark-side" Ron??...

ooops..... just kidding...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Galing ka pala ng "dark-side" Ron??...

ooops..... just kidding...
    Francis, ako din.... my former was a '90 E30 320i A/T.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    *Bob, * Francis,*Docgorio stewardess? ahh... sa ibang airline na lang. Masisira image ko dyan... he he... Binuking mo pangalan ko dito Bob eh paano pa tayo mag-ooperate under cover nyan? Better yet kuha na lang tayo sa Airforce 1. Madami daw dun, naka uniform pa ng mg airline... your choice, Cathay, PAL, Emirates...he he...

Back to the topic, docgorio, your 400K-500K is good enough.
    As a matter of fact, I was in the hunt for the S124 the other day. Saw one from this site. I brought a Benz mechanic with me. The S124 was nice on the outside, some minor things on the paint. Interior was ok, but not perfect, some missing items, some switches not working.
    I took the car for a spin. Walang kalampag, ride is still nice. The acceleration, very poor! I compared it to driving a 1.3 Corolla (no offense to Corolla owners). The engine, is in need of big repairs... but repairable. The mechanic's recommendation "pwede na" but "madami gagawin sa makina". Estimated cost for engine repair: 40K- 80K.
    The car can be haggled down to P260,000 from P333,000.
    Infairness to the owner, he's very accomodating & honest.
    Lesson: Mura but madami papagawa. How much premium are you putting into the time & headaches & the search for parts vs a car na sasakyan na lang?
    Based on my experience, I'd say: just go for the ride & drive.
    I have leads for a good 300TD & 300TE & 230TE. PM me if you are interested. The 300TE might be gone this Saturday & I am the second option of the seller, I can pass it to you. Nice car, I just dont like the color (Red on black-gray interior). Not my cup of tea.
    ps: I can give you my mechanics number if you're into your search you'll need one.

Cheers everyone!
    Sir Darren kindly email me * pete_o_lim*yahoo.com for any leads re: 300TD. Thanks and apreciate it - peter lim pete_o_lim

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
W124 queries