New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Ho boy, this is gotta be a PR nightmare for Mercedes...

From http://tinyurl.com/co52e

"The new Mercedes S class has a sophisticated radar-based braking system - when it works. A TV demonstration ended up in a 3-car pile-up when the S-class' safety radar failed.

A German television channel got a bigger scoop than they bargained for when Mercedes showed up with three of their flagship vehicles - only to crash them into each other when a safety demonstration failed.

Stern TV, who filmed the programme item slates the mistake, and compares it to the nasty falling-over tendency the early A-class Mercedes had.
    Embarrassing mistake

In the programme, Mercedes drives 3 S-classes behind each other. The first car hits the brakes, and the two following cars brake down automatically, to avoid a crash. In theory. In practice, the first car braked, and the two others continued right into the back of each other, resulting in a 3-car pile-up at the test site.

According to a German news site, the blushing Mercedes security engineers soon discovered the problem: The test had been done in a hall which was made of steel. This confuses the radar, and the system doesn't work properly, causing more than £150,000 worth of cars to crumple into each other.

The system "works perfectly in all other circumstances", according to Mercedes. For now, though, it may be worth keeping your foot near the brake pedal."

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well... it is just a secondary safety system...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    True... but it does remind me of that time several years ago when Bill Gates himself demoed Windows 98 on CNN and ended up getting a blue screen of death on live TV...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    somebody is gonna get fired hehe

but can i have even one of those wrecked S class hehe

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Syet!!! Sayang yung Benz! hehehe!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    one word: NYAK!! :bwahaha:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    crash test dummies... mmmmmmmmmmm

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i think its the fault of their laser guided cruise control.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dibs on the engine :evillaugh

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have tried the radar based cruise control of the Infiniti and it works. It will maintain the speed of the vehicle that you set it then when it "sees" a vehicle getting too close for comfort it will let go of the throttle to decelerate, and then when it "sees" that the vehicle infront is no longer too close for comfort it will accelerate up to the point where you originally set it on.

May display pa na icon sa instrument panel so you know that its working.

Maybe somebody just screwed up, isa sa mga MB engineers, and I think someone will get fired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Televised Mercedes S Class Safety Radar Demo results in 3-car pileup