New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    perfect!!! 'nuff said!

i hope i can maintain my ride like that when it gets as old as your ride, and ask tips from you on how to do it

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Iho250! If I remember how I did it, I'll gladly pass on the knowledge I've learned!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The time has come to finally put new shoes on my car, this time I went with the rather rare 15" wheels that look like the factory 14" ones, but have very subtle design changes over them.

Here you can really tell these 15" wheels are somewhat different...

Than these factory 14" wheels:

Last edited by mbeige; September 28th, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Very subtle change, but the car does sit better on the 15's... your handling should improve a bit, too. Nice find!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Absolutely, it handles much better than the wallowy stock 14" tires. Really not just an aesthetic upgrade (albeit a bit subtle as you've observed) but also functional too. I'm still going for that understatement look. I never realized how bad the 14" tires were until I drove these the first time last Friday.

But man, that wheel lip is just a dead giveaway. The 300TE, on the other hand, also received new shoes that will come next.

Can't wait to receive the first random compliment about these 15" wheels. Once I do, I'll know he's an MB enthusiast. Perhaps it's also better to see these in person. Something about them that captures your attention that's not so evident in the photographs.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sidewalls are one of the biggest contributors to handling "feel" on any car... too tall, like with your stock tires, and it'll feel wallowy and unsure. Too short, like with "blings" (with sidewalls that are from 30-45% of the tread width) and grip will be good but transition will be unsure, and the ride will be choppy... get it just right (between 50-60%), and the car will drive wonderfully. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    really beautiful car. as the saying goes, "beauty conquers time"
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys. Indeed, what I did was get the still new tires from the stock 300TE 15" wheels and swapped them over for these (195/65/15) so even if it's not much of an improvement from the 70 profile tire it originally had it still feels much better. I much wanted to get 205/60/15 but I felt I was just throwing away money by selling the old 15" tires for much less so I just used it for now. Baka mabigla rin ako from a 195/70/14 to 205/60/15 jump.

If you remember the Jazz we had in Manila that one had 35 profile tires! Every bump and rut on the road was felt so the stock 15" Michelins were better for comfy cruising. Not to mention the 35 profile tires were noisy! What's funny is that the suspension made the 15" tires feel bouncy so it's also a combination of nice damping and good profile tires I guess.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    afaik, tire profile are designed to reduce road noise and increase traction of wet or slippery surfaces, hence the obvious advantages of slicks and rain tires from one another. on the suspension and tire combination, i guess it all depends on the springs for right amount of softness.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Nice shots great car

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Photoshoot: Youngtimer