New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    friendly Q lang from one of my friends who's looking to buy one. we both know next to nothing regarding these vehicles, but we do know the following: its front engine, front drive, diesel 2.9 engine from mercedes.

i have seen similar body shapes from ssangyong, and i've read somewhere (forgot na where) that you can remove the badges, hubcaps, etc, to look like locally produced MB vans.

may differences ba yung gray market korean ssangyongs from the locally made MB vans? performance, a/c?

thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Mercedes Benz MB100 is a rebadged Ssangyong Istana. There are minor trim and equipment differences, but they are essentially the same.

Here are some features of the local MB100. Take note however that these can also be installed on gray market units:
    *A Commercial Motors Corporation build plate when you open the front flap (the hood).
    *A smaller Mercedes Benz Emblem on top of the large grille emblem
    *Smaller and more car-like side view mirrors
    *No front undermirror
    *Local units were also available in monotone color with no bodyside mouldings (most imported units are two-tone)
    *Manual climate control with no heater function
    *Single-DIN audio system
    *Mercedes Benz logo embossed on steering wheel (not glued on)
    *No instrument cluster dimmer
    *Seating configuration is 2+3+3+4 with non-rotating (but reclining) seats. Imported units are available in a myriad of configurations
    *All local units are short wheelbase (MB100). Long wheelbase MB140D units are imported.
    *Bubble top and moonroof not available locally.
    *No pulldown handle inside rear tailgate
    *No OEM bullbar
    *Local uses 'shorter gearing' for quick acceleration but a bit lower top speed.
    *Local has bigger radiator
    *Star design alloy wheel (five spokes)

Later models of local units were subsequently fitted with steel wheels (and full wheelcovers), improved a/c with cabin heater, heavier flywheel, additional sound insulation, body color wiper and mirrors, digital clock instead of analog, some wood trim, front seat armrests, optional captain's chairs, improved front a/c vents (less prone to breaking), clutch starter interlock (have to step on clutch for starter to work.

I'm still thinking of the other differences.
    Last edited by OTEP; January 26th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    galeng galeng otep,

otep koreano ka ata? expert ka sa mga korean cars at trucks
    Last edited by Mojo; April 15th, 2005 at 01:40 AM.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    magkano brand new nyan?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mojo,
    We have an MB100. Observations ko lang iyan. We checked out local and imported units before settling for a local one. Ok naman ang Korean cars. Easy on the pocket kasi.

Silver,
    Wala na atang brand new units ng MB100. The last ones were badged as Daewoos after Daewoo took over Ssangyong.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Try talking to the Van in "Tagalog" if it cannot reply then it's from Korea.

Just Kidding

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hehe korrect ka otep

mura na bilhin, dali pa i maintain, so far di pa naman naging bitch yung korean made na sasakyan ko. hehehe, mura mura pa parts at madali hanapin weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................

heheheh..

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    notice ko lng when i rode in my friends MB100D mdyo pumapasok ung init ng engine sa loob ng cabin, i could feel it beside my leg sa console nya.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hey thanks for the quick response. print out the list sir otep gave...medjo madami din pala.

due to the cost diff of the korean vs. local, and the fact that my friend wants to use it as a people carrier lang talaga and doesn't care about the badge, he's evaluating a couple of korean ssangyongs na...each with 7000 kms lang on the odo.

the radiator though, is something to think about. why do local units get a bigger rad? hotter here? maybe i ought to tell my friend to just drop the korean rad and get an evercool of roughly the same size as the local, no? para iwas sakit ng ulo in case the thing overheats with the smaller korean rad.

thanks again.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Korean units are usually better equipped than the local ones. Even with the smaller radiator size, as long as you use the proper coolant (50% distilled drinking water + 50% ethelyne glycol based coolant) and change it at the proper interval and ensure that your mechanical and electric fan are working properly, then cooling should not be a problem.

The difference in radiator size is not really that great. I think the local MB100 just used the radiator of the MB100 models designed for commercial use (truck body).

The engine cover of the MB100 extends up to the cabin. There is a 'doghouse' cover inside similar to those Ford E150 vans. If the doghouse is not properly aligned and locked, heat will find its way into the cabin. Also check that the insulation under the doghouse is still in good condition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
how do u know if that MB100D van is from korea or local?