New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    eto na...even before the long drive may sakit na lumaabas. Temp went as high as almost 120 C, twice! Had the water pump & serpentine belt replaced and the radiator cleaned. I always use distilled water.
    Please bear with me, this is a bit long...TIA for your inputs!

1st TIME: the other day I fetched my gf from her place at Gilmore, passed by Benitex, then mariposa to EDSA. Even before reaching EDSA tumaas na temp nya. So I parked it at Petron looked under the engine, wala tulo. I thenpopped the hood and slowly opened the radiator cap, steam was going out, then boiling water...after it settled with engine running i poured my baon na distilled water and closed the cap. It was till at 100C, I pumped the accelerator and it shot down to 40C - as in biglang baba. I took it to my mechanic and he said to replace the serpentine belt. It was actually due for replacement kasi napigtas na yun isang rib ng belt. Kasya pala belt ng MB100! got it for P950.00

Then I went on my way...temp was good for 2 days.

2nd TIME: yesterday. 3 baon ko na 1.5L na distilled water. I was at Trinoma, met my gf then brought her home around 6pm. Took the same route from Gilmore, then at EDSA cubao ilalim ayun na! saw the temp goin' 100C...putcha sa ilalim pa ko inabot! luckily walang umiikot na tow truck while i was there. Used my first bottle, took me 10mins to cool off the engine a bit slowly back to 80C. paglampas ng underpass went back to +100C buti na lng nakatabi na ko sa roadside near in front of Superlines and dun ko na inubos yun 2nd bottle ng water ko. Went down slowly to 80C again 'til i reached my mechanic at Cambridge then it went almost 120C again. So I opened the radiator cap let the steam out, poured water on the radiator and fins and pumped the pedal hoping that it would drop quickly to 40C like the other day pero ayaw! so i just shut the engine off and discussed it with my mechanic's helper (wala na machanic ko). He said since napalitan na water pump and yun belt the next culprit will be the radiator, he advised me to have it cleaned. I was also thinking the same, that maybe some deposits inside the radiator clogs it and when na-tyempo pag-pump ng pedal it gets forced back into circulation (it's my theory lang). After 30min I cranked it up again and poured my last bottle in and voila 40C, as if nothing happened! It stayed below 80C the whole drive back home to Mindanao ave.

So, this morning I went straight to my suki na radiator shop for cleaning. P1,000 palinis ng radiator as compared to P600 for my Nissan sentra before. Went back after my meetings and they said there were some deposits but nothing major to clog up the system. I went home 6pm with the temp at around 75C from kamias to Mindanao ave.

This is weird. I hope the problem is fixed.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    First make sure your temperature gauge is working properly. A properly working thermostat and temp gauge should read around 80C, not 40C!! That's way too cold, your thermostat could be stuck open.

Second make sure you have the correct radiator cap rating. Dapat may nakasulat na "120" or "140" on the cap if it's the orig type. The expansion tank of your car should have an overflow hose. If the temp went that high, the cap would release some water into the overflow hose, this hose originally connects to another reservoir for when the temp gets high, then siphons it back as the temp gets back down. If you did not see any water under the car either the orig hose is intact, or the cap was not opening due to the increased pressure.

Third make sure when you use the AC, the auxiliary fans in front of the condenser spin at low speed. The fans spin at high speed if the temp reaches way too high. Nothing in your post suggested they worked which means you should drive w/o AC for now until the fans can be fixed.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    first off, thanks for the response mbeige.
    By the way FYI, my radiator and condenser are no longer original, even the shroud for the radiator fan is fabricated .

1. Regular temp of the car is usually a bit below 80C.
    2. Radiator cap reads 140.
    3. The reservoir has an overflow hose but there's no 2nd reservoir, so the water just spills into the road. So what i do is stick the hose into the wiper wash tank, anyway i only put water in there and don't use washer fluid...
    4. AC fans work. mine already converted to 2 fans.

Also, the radiator reservoir tank has cracks in it, tadtad na din ng epoxy but still water sips out when pressure gets high.

the temp went high again the other day from tandang sora to cubao...i met a friend who also owns a 190d. I told him about the problem and that i already got a new water pump, belt and had the radiator overhauled. but still it persists...he checked the top radiator hose (the one near the fuel filter). He said the same thing happened to his car before. the problem was that there was air inside the cooling system, so he took a bottle of water yun 1.5ltr na coke, stuck it in the radiator reservoir and bled the air out from the hose and slowly the temp went down to almost 40C. When the hose was letting out water na he stopped and put the clamp back on. So I guess that was the culprit...

Now, last night on the way home from cubao again the same thing happened. temp went to almost 120C, luckily i was near a gas station, so i stuck a bottle in the reservoir and bled the top radiator hose again. same thing, temp went back down to 40C and stayed below 80C the whole drive home.

am puzzled as to why air always gets in the cooling chamber? is it because of the cracked reservoir? water goes out-air gets in kind of thing? or could it be the thermostat being stuck open?

I need help.
    TIA!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Bro mahirap na pa biyahe mo pa ang MB mo to Naga, kahit ok na ang daan niya sa part ng tagkawayan - del gallego area, baka nasa south express way pala ubos na dala mo baon distilled water. Better bring a more reliable car for long distance drive like QC to Naga, may part don na wala ka mahanap na gas station/ auto shop/ or even people...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    You should just bleed it once during a water refill. You might want to check on your upper rad hose in the morning before starting if it is hard or soft. If it is hard after an overnight in you garage, it is a symptom of a cracked head or your head gasket needs to be replaced.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks for the advise.
    Will observe it and bring it to the shop for inspection (thermostat, etc...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
190d ROAD TRIP: QC to Naga