New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Watching Movies: what do you do most often?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie Theaters

15 40.54%
  • DVD/VCD (pirated/original)

15 40.54%
  • Internet Download (*******/limewire/etc)

7 18.92%
  • I wait until movie comes out on cable tv.

0 0%
  • I don't really watch movies.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Well, with the wonders of the internet and a PC connected to the TV I was able to watch:

-Bleach ep.142
    -Astronaut Farmer (2006)
    -Fifth Gear season 12 ep 04

all in one night.
    if you have a ******* client, go to http://www.finalgear.com

they have a lot of top gear and fifth gear episodes available for download there

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    what equipment do we need for this set-up?
    what I use are:

one WiFi-G router
    -currently a TP-LINK WiFi-G router with 4 ports.

for downloading:

one PC with a big HDD (240gig) with LAN connection to my DSL.

Intel Pentium III 800mhz with 384megs ram
    20gig HDD (OS and programs)
    240gig (download target)
    running Windows XP SP2
    u******* (download software)

for viewing:

one PC with video out port and connected to a TV.

AMD Sempron 2600+ 256megs ram and 80gig HDD
    Linksys WiFi-G pci card
    Nvidia GF440SE w/ video out
    running Windows XP SP2
    Media Player Classic (video playback software)

The idea is to keep a slow but stable PC to download all the videos and later use a second (but much faster) PC to view the videos on your TV. The TV is prefered because is it usually bigger than your computer display. Downloading time depends on your internet connection and the speed of the source as well. My setup runs 24/7 as long as there is something being downloaded.

The second PC used for viewing is faster athough you can use a P3/800mhz system but you will have problems viewing larger files and certain file types like OGM because decoding them requires a faster processor.

Viewing the videos, there are two ways that I use. One is direct viewing or I connect and view the file from network. Generally this is fine but the video might pause of a second or two during the viewing time (caused by network lag). The second method is to copy the video file to the 2nd PC and then open the file there. This would result in a better viewing performance.

The entire setup could be reduced to ONE computer if you have a fast enough PC with big enough HDD to hold all your downloaded videos. If you have your PC setup near your TV, just connect the tv-out port to your TV set. If your video card has other ports like S-video or better, you might want to use that for better video quality.

If you are interested, here is a link to my VHS-PC project:
    http://www.gadgets.ph/tech/showthread.php?t=3673

This is the PC I use in my bedroom.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 27th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt View Post
    if you have a ******* client, go to http://www.finalgear.com

they have a lot of top gear and fifth gear episodes available for download there

thanks, I have been downloading from them for quite some time already. I have downloaded all of the past TG and FG seasons into my archive.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    kung madaming effects yung movie syempre sa theater para feel mo talaga yung THX.. pero kung "so so movies", download na lang sa internet.. madami namang available na dvdrip eh.. tsaka sayang ang money kung hindi talaga worth panoorin sa sine.. pwede rin ang pirated dvd's.. pero nanghihiram lang kame sa sister ko kasi hindi kami bumbili nun.. nanghihinayang ako bumili..

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    If i really like the movie, id watch it sa theater.
    But even if i already watched it sa sinehan bumibili pa rin ako ng DVD pag gusto ko talaga yung movie ( so i can watch it again and again )

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Lately, sa mga movie theaters na.... Puwede ko na kasing isama ang aming mga anak kaya enjoy manuod.... May mga ilang na-miss na movies,- DVD na ang mga katapat niyan.....

4707:santas:

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Lately, sa mga movie theaters na.... Puwede ko na kasing isama ang aming mga anak kaya enjoy manuod.... May mga ilang na-miss na movies,- DVD na ang mga katapat niyan.....

4707:santas:
    same with us sir...

with my husband naman pinanood namin ang Bourne Ultimatum - grabe di ko kinaya - sa sobrang hilo ko punta muna sa cr para sumuka tapos diretso sa labas ng moviehouse para magpahangin... di ko tuloy na-enjoy ang movie...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    what I use are:

one WiFi-G router
    -currently a TP-LINK WiFi-G router with 4 ports.

for downloading:

one PC with a big HDD (240gig) with LAN connection to my DSL.

Intel Pentium III 800mhz with 384megs ram
    20gig HDD (OS and programs)
    240gig (download target)
    running Windows XP SP2
    u******* (download software)

for viewing:

one PC with video out port and connected to a TV.

AMD Sempron 2600+ 256megs ram and 80gig HDD
    Linksys WiFi-G pci card
    Nvidia GF440SE w/ video out
    running Windows XP SP2
    Media Player Classic (video playback software)

The idea is to keep a slow but stable PC to download all the videos and later use a second (but much faster) PC to view the videos on your TV. The TV is prefered because is it usually bigger than your computer display. Downloading time depends on your internet connection and the speed of the source as well. My setup runs 24/7 as long as there is something being downloaded.

The second PC used for viewing is faster athough you can use a P3/800mhz system but you will have problems viewing larger files and certain file types like OGM because decoding them requires a faster processor.

Viewing the videos, there are two ways that I use. One is direct viewing or I connect and view the file from network. Generally this is fine but the video might pause of a second or two during the viewing time (caused by network lag). The second method is to copy the video file to the 2nd PC and then open the file there. This would result in a better viewing performance.

The entire setup could be reduced to ONE computer if you have a fast enough PC with big enough HDD to hold all your downloaded videos. If you have your PC setup near your TV, just connect the tv-out port to your TV set. If your video card has other ports like S-video or better, you might want to use that for better video quality.

If you are interested, here is a link to my VHS-PC project:
    http://www.gadgets.ph/tech/showthread.php?t=3673

This is the PC I use in my bedroom.
    aaah ganun pala magset up....salamat! masubukan nga din

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can actually simplify the setup to only one PC... but I find it a waste to keep a "fast PC" idling the whole day just to download ******* files.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sa ******* lang ako nakuha ng movies wala ditong sinehan puro orig lang na bala ang mahal pa

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Watching Movies - your prefered method?