New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morrissey_05
    ang parokya naman halatang parody. they don't deny naman that they do the songs as a parody of the original. kahit yung bago nila kanta, yung UMORDER SA WAITER, sabi nila sa NU talaga parody of a System of a Down song. para sa akin ok lang yun kasi inamin.
    That would be the song "Chop Suey".

On the one hand, the arrangement of the song "Pinoy Ako" seems like a note-for-note copycat of "Chandeliers" by the The Care. If I had been familiar with the song way back then, I would have definitely reacted adversely as well. On the other hand, there are only 12 notes that one can play around in music, so between compositions, there are bound to be similarities or even clones, but that does not necessarily mean that those are deliberate.

For example, Gwen Stefani's latest single "Cool" sounds hauntingly like Wilson Phillips' hit song "You're In Love". But I don't hear anyone complaining about Gwen being unoriginal or a rip-off.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; October 20th, 2005 at 03:04 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    the beat is too similar, almost an exact copy talaga, iniba lng ng konti at dinagdahan.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yung song ng cueshe na stay rip off din ng kanatang the greatest view ng silver chair

pinot ako pinot tayo
    ipakita sa mundo na gagayahin ko
    yan ang gawa ng pinot

no offense, peace man=) i love their songs got an album na nga la pa pbb

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    - The Alphabet Song
    - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
    - Baa Baa Black Sheep

All have the exact same melody, rhythm and beat. But is anyone complaining?

5. FrankDrebin Guest

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That one works!

After finally hearing the song, I'm sure of it.. rip-off.

Having been a bandista in College, I've written some music myself, and while it's awfully difficult to separate your music from the source material (you can always tell to what guys are listening to when they write if you're familiar with the originals), there is absolutely NO WAY that you can come up with a note-for-note copy "accidentally".

That's pure BS, and OaL should be sued for it. At least Parokya credits their sources... and most of their rip-offs are done purely for fun, as mahilig silang mag-recompose ng covers during live gigs.

*Bogeyman: Gwen Stefani is going in a hip-hop direction and hip-hop has long been known for ripping off... whoops... sampling music. Just sampling a drum line in the US can get you sued (The Verve Pipe were attacked by the Rolling Stones over the string line in "Bittersweet Symphony"). Gwen has a LOT of samples in her music. (C'mon, "If I was a rich girl"?) But I'm sure she's got licensing rights.

Whether or not you have a limited number of notes to play around with, there are other issues. OaL admit to listening to The Cares. That means they may know how to play them. That means they know the guitar lines. Writing a guitar line is not just about the notes, it's about hand positions and fingering, and to get THE EXACT SAME "RIFF" usually requires the same hand movements.

Again, "influence" is bullsh*t. They should just own up and credit the source.
    Last edited by niky; October 20th, 2005 at 04:12 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    even the beginning part, gayang gaya. tsktsk kakapal ng mga mukha

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    hip-hop has long been known for ripping off... whoops... sampling music
    Salbakuta's blatant use of Barbra Streisand's "Evergreen" comes to mind. :D

Veteran musical director Mel Villena listened to both "Pinoy Ako" and "Chandeliers". His verdict: the two songs are not the same.

But then again, Villena is associated with ABS-CBN, which obviously has a stake in the whole thing. They need to get a second authoritative opinion.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; October 20th, 2005 at 04:29 PM.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Janet Jackson's Someone To Be My Lover and America's "Ventura Highway" has similar intro

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    hip-hop nga... but there's a network for major artists like that to keep tabs on samples and royalty fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman
    Salbakuta's blatant use of Barbra Streisand's "Evergreen" comes to mind. :D

Veteran musical director Mel Villena listened to both "Pinoy Ako" and "Chandeliers". His verdict: the two songs are not the same.

But then again, Villena is associated with ABS-CBN, which obviously has a stake in the whole thing. They need to get a second authoritative opinion.
    Yung sa Salbakuta, sampling lang naman yun... it's okay as long as it's recognizably a "sample".

He's full of cr*p, then. Pati phrasing ng melody the same. I had an officemate who's a former professional entertainer/singer listen to it and he came to the same conclusion... same intro, same melody, same lyrical phrasing and timing. Chorus lang talaga ang iba. They disguiesd the similarities with the guitar riff by using a different guitar tone, but listening to it as a musician, it sound EXACTLY the same.

Shame on him for trying to cover for his network.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Pinoy Big Brother Theme a rip-off from The Cares?