New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I'm not sure where you even got that. There are many here who are satisfied once their basic needs were met. At the same time, these same people had no qualms about sharing what they had. For example, whenever a call goes out to provide needed supplies to people in need abroad, people here would provide what they can, often repeatedly.

and help out?

Attachment 29220
    Attachment 29223
    Have you ever viewed Maslow's Need Pyramid? As far is know, the American dream of good life onky satisfies up to the 3rd level or 4th level in every person's life.

Sa Europe kasi, iba eh, Would you believe in Europe, I discovered God or the true essence of God.

Sa america kasi, outlet outlet puro na lang materialism or kung ano maiuuwi ko stateside para mapagyabang sa friends. Hence, the American Dream. Most Americans would give, would aid yes, but for what so that they too will be rewarded with good vibes or good luck. In giving, there is a return ika nga.

In Europe, I felt the suffering, struggles and challenges of men, even most died tragically without even realizing your so called American dream of good life,

Look at Van Gogh for example, he crested most of the masterpeices of modern art and yet he died without even selling one of them, he died broke, but look after what happened, his works lived on, inspiring generations after generations. The sagrada familia in Spajn will have the same effect once it's finished a hundred yesrs from now, Yun kasi dapat ang goal natin kahat, to experience God, hindi puro mateiralism, puro kabig, ibalik mo taxes ko kind of thing it, para sa bayan, ano ba yun? Ano ba ibig sabihin ng para sa bayan, para makabili din lahat ng tao ng kotse ar gadget?

We are not created for the sole purpose of earning or owning eveything that life has to offer, brtiain has been there, they've been very rich this past 200 years and yet their people felt so incomplete.

In this film, we shout hindi dapat pangsarili, hindi ba't when we bash the government for their shortcomings, ang hugot noon eh kasi eh kulang tulong sayo ng government - eh di pansarili din yun.

The greatest thing that government can provide is freedom, free to move, free to think, free to pursue your interests. Are we being denied that right now?

If you have less opportunity, then do something about it within youself. And even if you did it by yourself, it doesn't give you right to bash others' mistskes and shortcomings,

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    As for obese, the US may be pretty high up the list. But, most of Europe are pretty high up too. I think it's unfair to single out the US.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...ght.png&w=1484
    Based on this table, in the Philippines,- just look around...

If three are not,- then most probably,- you're it!.... :hysterical:

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

27.7K _/_/_/_/_/:boat:_/_/_/_/_/

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by minicarph View Post
    Have you ever viewed Maslow's Need Pyramid? As far is know, the American dream of good life onky satisfies up to the 3rd level or 4th level in every person's life.

Sa Europe kasi, iba eh, Would you believe in Europe, I discovered God or the true essence of God.

Sa america kasi, outlet outlet puro na lang materialism or kung ano maiuuwi ko stateside para mapagyabang sa friends. Hence, the American Dream. Most Americans would give, would aid yes, but for what so that they too will be rewarded with good vibes or good luck. In giving, there is a return ika nga.

In Europe, I felt the suffering, struggles and challenges of men, even most died tragically without even realizing your so called American dream of good life,

Look at Van Gogh for example, he crested most of the masterpeices of modern art and yet he died without even selling one of them, he died broke, but look after what happened, his works lived on, inspiring generations after generations. The sagrada familia in Spajn will have the same effect once it's finished a hundred yesrs from now, Yun kasi dapat ang goal natin kahat, to experience God, hindi puro mateiralism, puro kabig, ibalik mo taxes ko kind of thing it, para sa bayan, ano ba yun? Ano ba ibig sabihin ng para sa bayan, para makabili din lahat ng tao ng kotse ar gadget?

We are not created for the sole purpose of earning or owning eveything that life has to offer, brtiain has been there, they've been very rich this past 200 years and yet their people felt so incomplete.

In this film, we shout hindi dapat pangsarili, hindi ba't when we bash the government for their shortcomings, ang hugot noon eh kasi eh kulang tulong sayo ng government - eh di pansarili din yun.

The greatest thing that government can provide is freedom, free to move, free to think, free to pursue your interests. Are we being denied that right now?

If you have less opportunity, then do something about it within youself. And even if you did it by yourself, it doesn't give you right to bash others' mistskes and shortcomings,
    The basic premise of the "American Dream" is to prosper through hard work. I don't think it's changed that much through the years. Most people here are satisfied once the basic needs of having food on the table, having an abode, and being able to pursue their interests are met. However, the opportunity is also there for those who want to go sky high and become filthy rich.

The American Dream still works. A number of my wife's relatives immigrated here. Despite having been here less than a decade, they were able to set up their own business in Alaska which is thriving. Based on that, I have to say opportunity still exists. It's a matter of recognizing it.

If you have an anecdote about the PH, so do I. When I visited the PH back in 2013, all I brought with me was my backpack. No suitcases. No Balikbayan boxes. No duty-free. I traveled to mend fences with my mom after 20 years of being exiled. My relatives didn't care if I didn't bring anything with me except myself. The fact that we were a whole clan once more was enough reason to be happy.

As for Van Gogh, no one then had any clue what his art was about until after he died. That's why he wasn't able to sell his creations. If people caught on sooner then he would probably be a rich artist.

I lived a number of years in Europe both as a kid and later on as an adult. My own experiences there show God disappearing among the younger people. I'm not sure why you never noticed that unless you spent all your time in Italy. Go farther north and you'll see most of those who still care about God are the elderly. Most of the young have turned away.

As for bashing, you've been doing that over the last few posts.

As for Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs........ It's in Chapter 10 of my Foundations of Business textbook. It's been a while. But, it's there.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 5th, 2015 at 10:27 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    This one's a good read:Two Lunas, two Mabinis | Inquirer Opinion

TWO LUNAS, TWO MABINIS BY AMBETH OCAMPO

SOCIAL MEDIA comments on “Heneral Luna” make me smile. Someone posted that the film is a “fair” retelling of a bloody episode in Philippine history. It is actually unfair to Emilio Aguinaldo. As to the casting of Epy Quizon as Apolinario Mabini, right on, I thought, because he resembles the Mabini in monuments. But then someone asked, why is Mabini seated throughout the film? I thought all schoolchildren knew about Mabini being the “Sublime Paralytic” (or “Dakilang Lumpo”).

Everyone who comes out of “Heneral Luna” blames Aguinaldo—an oversimplification because history is more complex than our textbooks make it out to be. History is not about memorizing “facts” or reacting emotionally, but being critical of facts and narratives. Aguinaldo is a soft target in a complex story where there are other villains. Some of the villains are not people but flaws in human nature and Philippine society.

In 1984 the eminent historian Teodoro A. Agoncillo gave me his take on Antonio Luna, recalling his word war with Vivencio Jose (author of “The Rise and Fall of Antonio Luna”) that appeared on the pages of Solidarity. Agoncillo made two points worth remembering: first, that there were two sides to Mabini—one pro-Luna and the other anti-Luna; and second, that there were two Lunas—one who was against the Philippine Revolution against Spain in 1896, and the other who fought in the Filipino-American War.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In my interviews with Agoncillo, he said: While Aguinaldo is not personally involved in the death of either Luna or Andres Bonifacio, he should be held to account for the behavior which he did not order investigated.

Ambeth R. Ocampo: Do you think he tried to cover up?

TAA: That was Aguinaldo’s mistake. Granted, Luna was assassinated. Why did he not order the investigation of those people who assassinated Luna? That was his responsibility. I’m not pro-Aguinaldo or pro-Bonifacio. I judge a person on the basis of the documents available. If the time comes that I am proved wrong and other documents are shown, then I’ll accept it. Conclusions are not final, because nobody can say that I have exhausted all my sources. No! Ang anti-Aguinaldo si Vivencio Jose, masyadong pro-Luna. This is the kind of thinking I do not like.

ARO: [But that is your interpretation.]

TAA: Hindi! [Jose] suppressed the documents. It’s all right if it is a question of interpretation, but the trouble is he suppressed. Kahit na kasalanan ni Luna, he is trying to suppress [the documentation]. Example: the letter of Mabini to Aguinaldo denouncing Luna. Hindi niya binanggit. The letter of Baldomero [Aguinaldo] to [Emilio] Aguinaldo denouncing Luna? Hindi niya inilagay. Ang sabi lang niya, naiinggit lang iyong mga taong attacked.

ARO: Mabini wrote later, Noong bandang huli, kung hindi pinatay si…

TAA: That is the superficiality of these people. Mabini is inconsistent. Firstly anti-[Luna] later pro-[Luna]. You should study [the sources and the motives]. If you are really critically minded, why is this fellow now anti-Aguinaldo? You should try to discover why.

“In historical methodology, it says that the more private a communication is, the more authoritative it is. In a letter, in 1899, to Galicano Apacible whom he called Canoy and Calvo, Mabini denounced Luna and praised Aguinaldo. Then in that Guam opus ‘La Revolucion Filipina,’ binaligtad. The historical methodology says the document which is not meant for the public but for private eyes is more authoritative than the one for the public eye. Why? Because when you are writing to a friend, more or less you are sincere, because what you write to him is your secret feeling. But when you write for publicity, [it’s the other way around]. This is historical methodology, and in Guam Mabini was writing for publicity to justify [himself]. At that time he was already bitter against Aguinaldo. Why was he bitter against Aguinaldo toward the end? Because Aguinaldo did not follow his advice. He was too intransigent. So, in using the two Mabinis, you have to exercise your critical thinking.”

What I did not know at the time was that Luna denounced the Revolution of 1896. This Agoncillo did not take lightly, and he roared:

“Minamana mong sabihin na si Luna was the leader of the revolution against Spain? P-ñeta! Since when did Luna fight against the Spaniards? He never fought the Spaniards, tapos sasabihin niyang leader? As a matter of fact, Luna was a traitor to the Revolution of 1896! Alam mo, I will write an essay on Luna and Aguinaldo. I will write an essay kung bakit maraming nagalit kay Luna, and I’ll justify, sapagkat Luna not only did not join the Revolution of 1896, he was [also] a traitor! Nagturo yan a! Nagturo! Pero inilagay ba ni Vivencio Jose iyan? Wala! Maraming hindi inilagay si Vivencio roon, either because of ignorance or ibig niyang palakihin si Luna. As a matter of fact, I do not consider Luna a hero. How did he become a hero? He never won any battle, papaano mo sasabihing hero iyan?

ARO: Unrealized kasi ang role niya in Philippine history eh.

TAA: He never won a battle! Um! Pagkatapos sasabihin ni Vivencio, kung sinunod daw si Luna, yung guerilla warfare. Noong panahong sinasabi niyang maggegerilya, hindi maaari ang guerilla eh because the Americans were still weak at the time, papaano gegerilyahin iyan? Pangalawa, there was no preparation for guerilla warfare. Hindi niya ina-analyze. All that he wants is to justify all the things that Luna did.”

History has left us with two sides of Mabini, two sides of Luna.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    This one's a good read:Two Lunas, two Mabinis | Inquirer Opinion

TWO LUNAS, TWO MABINIS BY AMBETH OCAMPO

SOCIAL MEDIA comments on “Heneral Luna” make me smile. Someone posted that the film is a “fair” retelling of a bloody episode in Philippine history. It is actually unfair to Emilio Aguinaldo. As to the casting of Epy Quizon as Apolinario Mabini, right on, I thought, because he resembles the Mabini in monuments. But then someone asked, why is Mabini seated throughout the film? I thought all schoolchildren knew about Mabini being the “Sublime Paralytic” (or “Dakilang Lumpo”).

Everyone who comes out of “Heneral Luna” blames Aguinaldo—an oversimplification because history is more complex than our textbooks make it out to be. History is not about memorizing “facts” or reacting emotionally, but being critical of facts and narratives. Aguinaldo is a soft target in a complex story where there are other villains. Some of the villains are not people but flaws in human nature and Philippine society.

In 1984 the eminent historian Teodoro A. Agoncillo gave me his take on Antonio Luna, recalling his word war with Vivencio Jose (author of “The Rise and Fall of Antonio Luna”) that appeared on the pages of Solidarity. Agoncillo made two points worth remembering: first, that there were two sides to Mabini—one pro-Luna and the other anti-Luna; and second, that there were two Lunas—one who was against the Philippine Revolution against Spain in 1896, and the other who fought in the Filipino-American War.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In my interviews with Agoncillo, he said: While Aguinaldo is not personally involved in the death of either Luna or Andres Bonifacio, he should be held to account for the behavior which he did not order investigated.

Ambeth R. Ocampo: Do you think he tried to cover up?

TAA: That was Aguinaldo’s mistake. Granted, Luna was assassinated. Why did he not order the investigation of those people who assassinated Luna? That was his responsibility. I’m not pro-Aguinaldo or pro-Bonifacio. I judge a person on the basis of the documents available. If the time comes that I am proved wrong and other documents are shown, then I’ll accept it. Conclusions are not final, because nobody can say that I have exhausted all my sources. No! Ang anti-Aguinaldo si Vivencio Jose, masyadong pro-Luna. This is the kind of thinking I do not like.

ARO: [But that is your interpretation.]

TAA: Hindi! [Jose] suppressed the documents. It’s all right if it is a question of interpretation, but the trouble is he suppressed. Kahit na kasalanan ni Luna, he is trying to suppress [the documentation]. Example: the letter of Mabini to Aguinaldo denouncing Luna. Hindi niya binanggit. The letter of Baldomero [Aguinaldo] to [Emilio] Aguinaldo denouncing Luna? Hindi niya inilagay. Ang sabi lang niya, naiinggit lang iyong mga taong attacked.

ARO: Mabini wrote later, Noong bandang huli, kung hindi pinatay si…

TAA: That is the superficiality of these people. Mabini is inconsistent. Firstly anti-[Luna] later pro-[Luna]. You should study [the sources and the motives]. If you are really critically minded, why is this fellow now anti-Aguinaldo? You should try to discover why.

“In historical methodology, it says that the more private a communication is, the more authoritative it is. In a letter, in 1899, to Galicano Apacible whom he called Canoy and Calvo, Mabini denounced Luna and praised Aguinaldo. Then in that Guam opus ‘La Revolucion Filipina,’ binaligtad. The historical methodology says the document which is not meant for the public but for private eyes is more authoritative than the one for the public eye. Why? Because when you are writing to a friend, more or less you are sincere, because what you write to him is your secret feeling. But when you write for publicity, [it’s the other way around]. This is historical methodology, and in Guam Mabini was writing for publicity to justify [himself]. At that time he was already bitter against Aguinaldo. Why was he bitter against Aguinaldo toward the end? Because Aguinaldo did not follow his advice. He was too intransigent. So, in using the two Mabinis, you have to exercise your critical thinking.”

What I did not know at the time was that Luna denounced the Revolution of 1896. This Agoncillo did not take lightly, and he roared:

“Minamana mong sabihin na si Luna was the leader of the revolution against Spain? P-ñeta! Since when did Luna fight against the Spaniards? He never fought the Spaniards, tapos sasabihin niyang leader? As a matter of fact, Luna was a traitor to the Revolution of 1896! Alam mo, I will write an essay on Luna and Aguinaldo. I will write an essay kung bakit maraming nagalit kay Luna, and I’ll justify, sapagkat Luna not only did not join the Revolution of 1896, he was [also] a traitor! Nagturo yan a! Nagturo! Pero inilagay ba ni Vivencio Jose iyan? Wala! Maraming hindi inilagay si Vivencio roon, either because of ignorance or ibig niyang palakihin si Luna. As a matter of fact, I do not consider Luna a hero. How did he become a hero? He never won any battle, papaano mo sasabihing hero iyan?

ARO: Unrealized kasi ang role niya in Philippine history eh.

TAA: He never won a battle! Um! Pagkatapos sasabihin ni Vivencio, kung sinunod daw si Luna, yung guerilla warfare. Noong panahong sinasabi niyang maggegerilya, hindi maaari ang guerilla eh because the Americans were still weak at the time, papaano gegerilyahin iyan? Pangalawa, there was no preparation for guerilla warfare. Hindi niya ina-analyze. All that he wants is to justify all the things that Luna did.”

History has left us with two sides of Mabini, two sides of Luna.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    filipino-american war as written by the victors. it was regarded as a milestone because it served as an affirmation of their new status then as a rising empire by successfuly suppressing the resistance after defeating spain

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1899-1913/war
    Last edited by kisshmet; October 17th, 2015 at 06:26 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Not world-class enough. Sayang.

No Grammy nor Oscar nomination

'Heneral Luna' misses cut for Oscar nod | ABS-CBN News

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678