New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Halo 3 outsells every other entertainment release in history

Video game nets record $170m on first day

By Mike Smith
    [SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]

Confirming the expectations of many industry pundits, Microsoft announced today that its flagship Xbox 360 shooter Halo 3 had the biggest entertainment launch in history, generating a record-breaking $170m in the United States on its Tuesday debut.

Halo 3's launch day sales total eclipses prior record-holder Spider-Man 3, which produced $151m in revenue over its opening weekend in May 2007. Retailing at between $59.99 and $129.99, depending on how many extra gewgaws you like to get with your games, one sale of Halo 3 generates considerably more revenue than a movie ticket, making direct comparisons problematic. Microsoft isn't letting that stop them, though -- especially since Spider-Man's numbers represent three days of sales next to Halo's one.

The Tuesday launch was marked by long lines outside game stores nationwide, as eager consumers turned up ahead of the midnight launch to guarantee themselves a copy of the game, which brings the story of its iconic star, Master Chief, to a close. Microsoft backed the launch with a $10m marketing campaign, and many opening day events were livened up with visits from Microsoft marketing teams. Master Chief himself even made an appearance in Times Square on Tuesday, where he rang the closing bell at the NASDAQ stock market.

September 25 also marked Microsoft online service Xbox Live's most active day to date. More than one million gamers logged onto the service to play Halo 3 online in the first 20 hours of its release.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hmmm... looks like 360 sales will be revived again..

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Para sa akin, this is one of the best games ever released. Matagal tagal nang napahinga yung xbox ko. Last na nilaro ko is Halo 2.

Ngayong may Halo 3 na, mukhang magiging master chief na naman ako sa bahay, hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmm IMO overrated ang Halo, played Halo 1 and 2 sa PC...dami pang ibang mas maganda na FPS..

lakas tama ni master chief e :hihihi:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BB Not on a console and XBOX Live capability.... PC games are for geeks hehe

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    huh? PC games have the same online capability as the xbox, and xbox 360 isn't for geeks? since when did console gamers become ultra cool opposite of geeks? :confused:

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    On the PC, Halo wasn't the best ever... it was good in parts, but it had problems.

But on the console, it's very hard to make an FPS as good as it is on the PC... thus, Halo, which was developed primarily for the XBox, became the measure by which console shooters were measured.

Of course, I blame it all on good old American fanboyism. The great PC shooters have always appealed to the geek crowd (myself included), while Halo appeals to the beer and fratboy crowd who don't usually go near "geek" games... thus, phenomenal sales.

Errh... ganyan talaga yung XBox... by focusing on games that American males like (sports, shooters, etcetera) instead of the usual global or Nippon-centric fare that the PS2 and Nintendo offer, Microsoft has turned the XBox into a marketing success.

And they have a ton riding on Halo3... word is, the play balance has been tested to death. Hmmm... despite myself, I can't wait to try it...
    Last edited by niky; September 28th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    yeah right...dont count on the majority of fratboy beer crowd on xbox360...im willing to bet more than 50% of xbox360 owners are geek teenagers to young adults, makikita mo pa lang sa mga overnight pila for the game and console :bwahaha:

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, a lot of people I know who weren't traditional gamers moved to the darkside (muwahahahaha) since the release of the XBox... conspiracy theory? Maybe, but it's marketing reality for Microsoft.

Yeah, the XBox is still a geek-machine, but it's dressed up and marketed to the non-geek crowd.

Me? I'm still waiting for word on what the next Gran Turismo is like before I jump onto the third-gen bandwagon. My brother has already jumped... he got the Nintendo Wii. Cool machine... I was thinking of getting one to play games with my little girl with, but now that he's got it, well... we live just next door... ...and my fratboy cuz' lives downstairs, so that takes care of my 360 fix... all we're missing now is a PS3. :lol:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

HALO 3 = Biggest sale of ANY ENTERTAINMENT launch (including movies) in history.