New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka nga hindi rin memorized ng mga police yung Miranda rights. Dapat let these police say the Miranda rights live on TV, magtataguan sigurado mga yan

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Baka nga hindi rin memorized ng mga police yung Miranda rights. Dapat let these police say the Miranda rights live on TV, magtataguan sigurado mga yan
    They are not suppose to say it to you from memory as that makes it subject to questioning in court. The Miranda Rights are suppose to be given and read to you from a card so you do not miss anything. I just found it ironic that they were saying those things yet violated the very thing they stated they said. Then you have the Superintendent taking pictures of the media before they were questioned for their actions. Was that so the Superintendent knows who he will salvage from the media for writing bad things about him? In light of the history of the military and police of the Philippines and media people just disappearing I found those actions in poor taste for him to be doing. Sometimes...correction a lot of times these people are not thinking before they say or do something and they end up looking like idiots.
    Last edited by redorange; April 24th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    They are not suppose to say it to you from memory as that makes it subject to questioning in court. The Miranda Rights are suppose to be given and read to you from a card so you do not miss anything. I just found it ironic that they were saying those things yet violated the very thing they stated they said. Then you have the Superintendent taking pictures of the media before they were questioned for their actions. Was that so the Superintendent knows who he will salvage from the media for writing bad things about him? In light of the history of the military and police of the Philippines and media people just disappearing I found those actions in poor taste for him to be doing. Sometimes...correction a lot of times these people are not thinking before they say or do something and they end up looking like idiots.
    Ganun pala yun? In movies kasi, even the American movies, I don't see cops reading the miranda rights from a card. They just say it from memory.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ^^ Agree. Wala namang card na binabasa yung mga police sa movies ah. O baka sa sine lang yun.

Dapat nga magkaroon ng random tests sa mga pulis natin ang TV media. Ipa-recite on the spot yung Miranda Rights, let's see kung alam nila. Parang yung ginagawa nila noon sa mga MMDAs, pinapa-differentiate yung Odd & Even nos. sa mga MMDA. Dami paltos!.........
    Last edited by chua_riwap; April 24th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....and we give them guns and high powered rifles....... with the kind of law enforcement that we have, we should really be scared......

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ako i think tama yung preserve the scene.. regardless kung crime o hindi.. later na idetermine yun.. important is preserve the scene... on this note, hard sell pa rin na to prosecure the househelps.. they may say na hindi nila alam yung batas.. although ignorance shouldn't be an excuse, but why even provide for that opportunity na gagawin itong excuse? campaign lang yan... text or go the rounds of AM stations saying na basta may emergency or may namatay sa bahay, kahit ba sa sakit o hindi sa sakit... preserve the scene until the police can clear it.. that way, walang doubt...

i also agree na yung manner ng pag handle ng police is too much.. i believe this is the result of inadequate training... kapag adequate kasi training in crisis / emergency situations.. through simulations.. as close to reality as possible.. sa dalas kasi ng repetition in simulations ng mga crisis / emergency situations... the response becomes automatic maliit na lang ang factor na kesyo high profile yung tao.... nakatutok ang media.. etc...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Its a hard sell because the PNP has to prove intent to conceal a crime which, in Failon's helpers' case couldn't be established from the spontaneity of the statements being given.

Not because they weren't aware of the law. You're right, ignorance of the law excuses no one from compliance therewith.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    The Failon case was FUBAR from the very start in terms of how the PNP handled it. You had investigators claiming that the bullet came from a downward tragectory even before a forensic pathologist checked the body. Then you had the medico legal putting out their findings which is still not the same as having a forensic pathologist do an autopsy. The finding of Dr. Fortun is the only credible finding to me since of all the people that examined the wife, she is the only one that is licensed to be a forensic pathologist. If the PNP wants to dispute her findings they will have to get one from abroad because Dr. Fortun is the only one in the Philippines.

The PNP definitely have inadequate training just in the news on TFC this morning they said 9 out of 10 police officers can't qualify with their duty firearm and a majority don't even know how to clean it. I don't know about the PNP but here with the law enforcement agency I work with if you fail to qualify with your firearm it is taken from you and if you fail again the next qualification you are terminated. We qualify 3 times a year but it used to be 4 times a year. The scary thought is you have all these PNP officers carrying a firearm and can't shoot straight. If I was in a situation where they responded the last thing I would want is for them to pull out their gun, becausethey are more likely to hit me rather than the suspect.

BTW in the movies and tv shows the Miranda is not read from a card but if you did that in real life you are placing yourself and the case in jeopardy if the defense lawyers question you as the officer. Multiple cases in the US have been dismissed because of failure to give the proper Miranda Rights.
    Last edited by redorange; April 25th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    It's official: Mrs. Etong committed suicide.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday declared that Trinidad Arteche-Etong, wife of ABS-CBN news anchor Ted Failon, committed suicide.

"After perusal of testimonial evidence and conscientious evaluation of the results, recommendations and conclusions of the criminologists, working as a team, as regards to their investigative, technical, scientific, medical, and psychiatric analysis, [the NBI] thereby concludes that Trinidad Arteche-Etong indeed committed suicide," NBI Director Nelson Mantaring said in a press conference at the bureau's headquarters in Manila.

Mantaring said that based on all the evidence collected by police, "no other person was present or was with Trina inside the bathroom the moment the trigger was pulled."

He added that based on psychiatric evidence, Etong had the "capability, motive and means" to commit suicide.

The NBI came out with its final findings a month after Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno asked the bureau to take over the Etong case investigation from the Quezon City police.

Puno's order came after the suspension of several policemen, led by Senior Superintendent Franklin Mabanag, for excessive use of force during the arrest of Etong's siblings and household members.

At the press conference, Mantaring also declared that one of the evidences that boosted the suicide angle was the handwritten "sorry" letter of Etong to Failon.

Etong was found dead inside the news anchor's home in Tierra Pura Subdivision, Quezon City last April 15. She died minutes after the police arrested her siblings at the New Era General Hospital last April 16.

The arrests were made after the police filed complaints of obstruction of justice against Failon, his in-laws and household helpers. Failon's camp have been cleared of the charge.

Experts’ findings

A forensic pathologist who earlier conducted an autopsy on Trinidad Etong, wife of ABS-CBN broadcaster Ted Failon, had concluded that she committed suicide.

Weeks before the NBI came out with the findings, forensic pathologist Raquel Fortun announced in a press conference that Etong most likely committed suicide.

Fortun said Etong was shot at very close range, judging by the soot deposits found in the head wound. She explained that smudging occurs if the gun’s muzzle is very close to the skin.

“Upon careful examination of the entrance wound, there were abundant soot deposits or carbon deposits. This is what's commonly known as smudging. This occurs if the muzzle is very close right or next to the skin. Soot deposits were found way inside the depth of wound. We would classify this as close range of fire,” Fortun said.

“If you have close range fire, this is very much consistent with a suicide and therefore, self inflicted and intentional injury,” she added.

She said Etong died of perforating gunshot wound to the head. She said the bullet's entry point was on the right temple and the exit is on the left frontal bone.

“Based on available information known to me so far, everything would be consistent with suicide. So, as far as manner of death is concerned that is how we would classify it. We would call it a suicide,” Fortun said.

Fortun's assessment backed the opinion of Erwin Erfe, a professor of forensic medicine from the Ateneo de Manila University, who conducted the autopsy with Dr. Jake Ortiz of the police's Crime Laboratory.

Erfe said the autopsy revealed two gunshot wounds on Etong, which are the entry wound on the right temple and the exit wound on her left.

He said further examination of Etong's skull showed the contusion collar on the entry wound is uniformly level. The contusion collar is the wound caused by the bullet trajectory to the human body.

"The contusion collar is very significant because it is the bruise made by the entry of the bullet. This is very significant because her contusion collar was very uniform. What this means is that the gun used was directly perpendicular [to Etong's head.] Pantay na pantay. This shows that it is most likely a suicide," he said in a radio dzMM.

"In my professional opinion, this is most likely a suicide rather than a homicide," he added.
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/05...mitted-suicide
    Last edited by Bogeyman; May 21st, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE=6]it's over!!!!
    [/SIZE]

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Did Ted Failon shoot his wife?