New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    One proof that you don't need a modified car to do good, you just need a modified driver.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last month Aibo and I embarked on our longest road trip ever: from Manila to Pagudpud, at the north coast of the northernmost province of Ilocos Norte. I was with my girlfriend and her family. We made quite a few stops along the way.

Calle Crisologo, Vigan City

Paoay Sand Dunes Park

Bangui Windmills

Patapat Viaduct (the white Ford Ranger pickup is the lead car in our convoy)

Kapurpurawan Rock Formation

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Pagudpud beach

All that driving sure took a toll on Aibo's brake rotors and Tanabe pads though. Just look at them wheels...mind you they're supposed to be black!

Aibo had a full load of five people and cargo the whole trip. Overtaking slower traffic and keeping up with the turbodiesel Ranger on the long provincial roads was an exercise in planning, as I frequently had to wind out the little L13A3 mill to 6000 RPM in second gear for overtaking long vehicles safely. Hence, fuel economy over the four-day, 1200+ km journey was basically the same as it was while I was driving in Manila. The GD1 has light weight as its greatest weapon; load it up enough and its performance is handicapped.

What Aibo lacked in grunt, he made up for in relative comfort. Had I still had the stock seats, I would not have attempted this trip. Although they lacked lumbar support, the Recaro SRDs were a godsend for long-distance driving. I was behind the wheel for long spells at a time, as long as 12 hours driving. The normally stiff ride wasn't as much of an issue either as Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte share some very, very good roads - much better than 90% of Manila tarmac/concrete - and Aibo was athletic enough to outmaneuver the odd suicidal maniac driver.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I'll refer you to the thread for my two exploits at Batangas Racing Circuit this year for video.

Meanwhile here are a few photos.

I'm not just all racing either. Nowadays I bike on my Dahon Vitesse, and I haul it around on my little Honda.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Project "Hyaku Shiki Hamster": My 2005 GD1 Honda Jazz 1.3S