New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A drive in the snow in my Sonata. Driving in snow with a FWD car isn't as bad as some people make it out to be...... Of course, having ESC helps a lot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4TQQapouoQ"]YouTube - Snow2[/ame]

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Update.....

We got rid of our Honda Odyssey because my wife wanted something lighter and with AWD. We traded it in for a 2013 Nissan Rogue. I still have the 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6. I've grown attached to it. So, I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

The Sonata front end was wrecked after I hit a deer back in 2011. It doesn't look like anything happened after repairs. Thank goodness for insurance.

Mileage is at 155,000 miles/250,000km. The engine/transmission is still giddy and torquey. I'm quite happy with it. Most of my past cars (Nissan Pulsar, Plymouth Laser RS Turbo, Dodge Grand Caravan) were in dire condition by the time I reached 100,000 miles. Not this one. I'd probably buy another Sonata if Hyundai didn't move its engine from the V6 to the 4-cylinder turbo.

As for the Nissan Rogue..... It's the wife's car. No power. So, I can't really get excited about the Rogue. She's delighted with it though. For me, the old 244hp Honda Odyssey felt much more exciting to drive.

Photo taken March 30, 2014 after a big snowstorm.

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 2nd, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I found some digital photos of the car I drove in Japan.

Mid-90's Subaru Impreza:

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    In the six years I've been here in Upstate NY, I washed and waxed the Sonata maybe 1x a year. I vacuum the inside frequently though.

The family likes to eat in the car. I have to clean out the crumbs and stains frequently.

Between work, family, and college, I simply didn't have the time although I have kept to the maintenance schedule.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 4th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It occurred to me that I rarely took photos of the minivans I owned, both the old 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan and 2006 Honda Odyssey.

I found out my kid took photos when we moved from Arizona to New York. My wife was driving the van. She was ahead while I followed because she drove so slow. Cars were passing her from both sides.

Somewhere in Ohio (I-90?) October 2008.

We'll be doing the same thing again except we're going the other way plus, she'll be in her Nissan Rogue this time.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 5th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Found some old photos when we were living in Arizona (pre-2009). Might as well re-post them here since we're moving back to the same house shortly.

The only existing photo of our old Dodge minivan. I was rather fond of it. I'm surprised I never took photos of it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 6th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I always wondered what an entry-level Bimmer (owned by my friend) looked like inside.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We did a short 1000 mile (back and forth) trip first, to the PH embassy in New York City and then visited friends in New Jersey.

We decided to take the old Hyundai Sonata because my wife didn't want to add too many miles to her Nissan Rogue.

The Sonata had no problems handling the freeways or the mountain freeways. I was able to maintain my 70 mph cruise control speed.

Once we got to NYC, the Sonata was down to 1/4 tank of gas. It handled the morning rush hour traffic just fine. We left for New Jersey right before the evening rush hour traffic commenced (lucky us).

Once we reached the NJ turnpike, I pulled in to a service center (gas station, food, etc) because the gas was down to 1/8 of a tank. We reached our friend's house just as it got dark.

The next day (Saturday), we decided to take the kids to a theme park which was two hours away. My friend drove a BMW 320i. He likes to speed and set his cruise control to 80 mph. I followed along in my Sonata which had no problems keeping up. In fact, I think my Sonata has the edge in raw acceleration. The only problem was at a sustained 80 mph, the 3.3L V6 of my Sonata ate a lot of gas. It was the same on the way back (10pm-midnight) except I had to gas up the Sonata again.

Sunday was a rest day for me (no driving). We started out for home around 1am. The drive was uneventful. I just kept the car on cruise control (70 mph) for most of the drive. We got home in NY state at 7am.

I'm pleased with my 3.3L V6 Sonata yet again. It's nine years old. Yet, it still accelerates like it's brand new, even with my wife and the two kids aboard. In comparison, my friend's 320i takes a weight penalty (also with four people aboard) because of the four-cylinder turbo. I think four-cylinder turbos are best when the vehicle isn't weighed down. In return, his 320i eats less gas compared to my Sonata.

We'll be making another trip there next weekend. So, I'll have another update soon.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 13th, 2014 at 09:15 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I should keep these here.

Driving the Sonata New York State.

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 13th, 2014 at 09:46 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Some more driving.....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
2006 Sonata GLS V6 and 1991 PLymouth Laser RS Turbo