New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    SVT swap? Bwahahaha....
    I could mod the engine of my wife's Contour to near SVT specs. But, that won't make much difference. It's still an A/T.

I've seen a Contour SVT at the parking lot of my daughter's school. The owner's not really taking care of it, though. Paint's starting to flake off on the window trim and roof. Shameful......

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chieffy View Post
    meron din non turbo version nito di ba? if yes, ano hp rating? 4G63 ba ang engine 1G Eclipse?
    There was a 1.8L and a 2.0L Non-turbo versions. I can't remember the engine names nowadays.

But here's a Polaroid of the stock engine I took a long time ago. I was supposed to do a "Before and After" series of photos from stock to modded. I'm not sure why I didn't do the After part........ Oh yeah. Someone stole my Polaroid camera.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/gallery/data/500/2L_Engine.jpg

Here's a better history of the car type:
    http://www.allpar.com/model/laser.html
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 15th, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Oh, the hp ratings.

2.0L Turbo: 190 hp, 205 lb-ft torque
    2.0L: 135 hp, 125 lb-ft torque
    1.8L: 92 hp, 105 lb-ft torque

Engine code is: The 2L Turbo is 4G63BT(?) I think. I could be wrong. But, that's all I remember.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A little clarification on the Eclipse 4-cylinder engines.

The turbo four is the 4G63BT. I assumed the non-turbo had the same basic designation (4G63). But, the non-turbo 2L Eclipse GS engine is designated 420A. My bad.......

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just an update on the 2.5 year mark of our 2006 3.3L V6 Sonata.......
    - One recall to fix a problem with the driver side seatbelt catching on the back cushion lever (I opted for non-power seats--->one less thing that may break).
    Otherwise, the only times it went to the Hyundai service center were for the free oil changes and yearly tune-up.

- The 235hp 3.3L V6 remains smooth with ample mid-range punch despite being "exercised" many times. No sign of any oil leaks anywhere. Just wondering because it was around this ownership timeframe when I started noticing oil leaks on the turbo 4G63 of my 1991 Plymouth Laser.

This is the first car I've had with no major scratches (this long), not even the part of the rear bumper where the paint was shredded off when I backed into the Honda Civic of my wife's friend.

All in all, it's been a good first 2.5 years for the Sonata.

Speaking of the Laser..... It's gone. Nada. Not mine anymore. It now belongs to my nephew. His dad's not too happy because he's paying the insurance. Oh well. Let him rant.

Then, there's the Contour, still....... Wife's still attached to it even though she's too fat (with baby) to drive it. Thought about replacing it with a used Mazda 3, an Si coupe, and even another 3.3 Sonata. Nope. Besides having the front passenger door electrical lock system repaired, it's been problem-free and drives really well for a 13-yr old Ford that still has it's original (A/T) tranny.
    It's not even worth anything as a trade-in. So, we decided to keep it until it finally stops running. That's money in the bank for us.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Too bad about the Laser... don't you feel guilty giving something that... errh... you know... to a kid?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Too bad about the Laser... don't you feel guilty giving something that... errh... you know... to a kid?
    Nah. Not really. It stays with family. When we visit up north, I can still drive it. Of course, I can't abuse it like when it was still mine.

Besides, my nephew's a pretty good tuner for a +16-yr old. Heck. He was already assembling (low-end) pc's at 11 and got into cars a couple of years ago.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Car and Driver also had a Sonata for longterm testing:

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...sonata-lx.html

"What’s hugely endearing about the Sonata is that it’s such an honest product—no electronic gimcrackery, controls that are straightforward and easy to understand, a low cowl that engenders visibility, a cushy ride, and that old Hyundai fallback: a whole lot of stuff for not much money."

My thoughts exactly with our car........

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just an update on Car and Driver's stats on the 3.3 Sonata........

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6
    3.3L V6, 5 spd A/T FWD
    235hp, 226 lb-ft torque
    0-60mph, 1/4 mile: C/D= 6.7 sec, 15.2 sec, MT= 6.8 sec, 15.3 sec
    Top Speed: C/D= 144-147 mph
    Wheels: Standard 16" alloys (softer more comfy ride)
    Mods: Nothing yet. Right now, I'm satisfied with it.
    Pag bayad na: supercharger, Studie body kit

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    nice cars bro! I used to work on a Hyundai dealership here in the Bay Area (in Concord).. and those Sonata's are pretty good cars for its price.

also, I like them Plymouth Laser RS as well.. I work on those DSM's all the time. pretty capable platform w/ the 4G63 turbo engine, easy 12-11 second 1/4 mile cars w/ moderate mods!

aite, peace.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
2006 Sonata GLS V6 and 1991 PLymouth Laser RS Turbo