Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    that you, Jun? you're a little darker than i imagined

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Ahh.. might be some minor revisions, like a difference in spare tires and minor insulation and non-structural parts.

C'mon... DIY... you know you want to do it... you never truly outgrow modder's itch.
    I'd be happy with chip mods and some minor replumbing. But, if I can find out how Hyundai upped the hp of the Lambda V6 from 235 to 268, that approach would be better.

I was considering a supercharger later. But now, I think it's a bit much for a family car. If I went the supercharger route, it'll mean much more power which in turn meant I'd have to get wider tires plus beef up the suspension and brakes. All I want is a little more ooomph from the stoplight without having to use Shiftronic mode.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 10th, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    that you, Jun? you're a little darker than i imagined
    No. But, I don't live too far from where he's at either (2.5hrs away).

Besides, I'd be grinning like an idiot if I was speeding. 147 mph? Dang.... He's got more balls than me speeding like that within city limits.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 10th, 2008 at 05:44 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What is it about Arizona and crazy Hyundai Sonata owners?

This crazy kid's from Arizona as well and did 152 mph in his V6 Sonata. I'm not that crazy. But, it's good to know the sub-$20k bone stock V6 Sonata can handle those speeds just fine and the 160 mph speedo isn't just for show. I guess the trick is to use the Shiftronic (to manually shift from 4th gear to 5th at redline) and turn off ESC........ never occurred to me to do that.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t23689...3-152mph33.htm

It also has a full tank of gas. I keep thinking of the song, "Goodness gracious Great Balls Of Fire!"

*Sigh* I used to have the balls to do reckless stunts.......not anymore.

Add: Someone also did the calculations and figured out the transmission of the V6 Sonata is good up to 198 mph. So for a mommy car, it's over-engineered. Another good thing to know should I decide to stuff a supercharger or even a turbo in there.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 19th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    What is it about Arizona and crazy Hyundai Sonata owners?

This crazy kid's from Arizona as well and did 152 mph in his V6 Sonata. I'm not that crazy. But, it's good to know the sub-$20k bone stock V6 Sonata can handle those speeds just fine and the 160 mph speedo isn't just for show. I guess the trick is to use the Shiftronic (to manually shift from 4th gear to 5th at redline) and turn off ESC........ never occurred to me to do that.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t23689...3-152mph33.htm

It also has a full tank of gas. I keep thinking of the song, "Goodness gracious Great Balls Of Fire!"

*Sigh* I used to have the balls to do reckless stunts.......not anymore.

Add: Someone also did the calculations and figured out the transmission of the V6 Sonata is good up to 198 mph. So for a mommy car, it's over-engineered. Another good thing to know should I decide to stuff a supercharger or even a turbo in there.
    Hmmmm.... has your wife started wondering why you bought a Sonata yet?

Man... 152? That's nuts for a mommy-car!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hmmmm.... has your wife started wondering why you bought a Sonata yet?

Man... 152? That's nuts for a mommy-car!
    She's the one who picked it. I wanted the Altima 3.5SE followed by the Mazda 6 V6, remember?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah... good point... it's all her fault. Chip! Chip! Chip!

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We drove the Sonata in New York state with pretty thick snow and ice plus cold temperatures ranging from freezing to -1 deg F (0 to -17.2C).

I have to say, the ESC system on the Sonata worked beautifully. Even my wife drove it with great confidence which was a surprise to me.

I've driven older AWD Subarus in the thick snow of northern Japan. I had a lot of confidence driving them too. Personally, I think AWD is still best. But if a FWD car comes with ESC, by all means take it. It does make a huge difference.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    All seasons, or winter tires?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    All seasons, or winter tires?
    All-seasons of course.

I only used winter tires if I traveled frequently in mountainous areas like I-80 over the Sierra Nevadas or the Lake Tahoe area (both over CA and NV) where winter tires/chains are necessary in winter.

In NY, the snow was plowed away frequently enough. But, the road was still slippery. ESC seemed to do a good job keeping the car balanced on the road. It's either that or I'm just a darn good driver.

But, it's ESC that made the difference for my wife. She was terrified of driving the Contour in snow during that one day we had snow in AZ. But this time, she drove the Sonata quite well even though the snow was a lot worse and the Sonata was a bigger car.

I'm now sold on ESC for FWD cars.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 17th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
2006 Sonata GLS V6 and 1991 PLymouth Laser RS Turbo