New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    The definition of an unenthusiast's car....... reminds me of an ugly mutt. But, I like it anyway. 2.5 years old with no problems thus far....

Yup. The Pinoy flag's still up front. I thought about replacing it with the Arizona state flag instead. But, it looked like a commie emblem (NVA).
    There's also been a big increase in Hyundai Sonatas around (most of them the 3.3 V6 like mine).

Needs a good wash, wax, and detailing too.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 21st, 2007 at 11:45 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    for me, your sonata's design is much better than newer sedans with confusing and inconsistent styling. any issues/complaints so far? i asked since i am taking a friend to a dealership to try out a few cars and may include sonata, azera, altima, or a g35. thanks in advanced.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFX View Post
    for me, your sonata's design is much better than newer sedans with confusing and inconsistent styling. any issues/complaints so far? i asked since i am taking a friend to a dealership to try out a few cars and may include sonata, azera, altima, or a g35. thanks in advanced.
    Gee, on that list....... I'd take the G35, no questions asked. Better yet, the newer G37(?).

The Nissan/Infiniti sedans have a sporting nature to them. Just look at the number of Pinoys (esp here) who have 3.5SE Altimas.

The Hyundai cars are more for the budget-conscious.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    i can see him liking the g already and i already inform him about mileage, brake wear, and temptation to speeding . my friend is open to try other makes and also drives at least 50miles, so he may even consider a 4 cyl sedan. from your experience, looks like no major issues for your sonata.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFX View Post
    i can see him liking the g already and i already inform him about mileage, brake wear, and temptation to speeding . my friend is open to try other makes and also drives at least 50miles, so he may even consider a 4 cyl sedan. from your experience, looks like no major issues for your sonata.
    I have the 3.3 V6 Sonata. No major issues. Actually, no issues yet. I've taken it on two road trips to Reno and on each one, the car has been a pleasure to drive. I'd much prefer the captain's chair of a minivan. But for a sedan, it's definitely a fine highway cruiser.

We bought ours because it was hard to find a car with a 235hp V6 and the roominess to match for less than $20k*. That was back in Aug 2005. Nowadays with the weak dollar, a brand new, sub-$20k 3.3L V6 Sonata may be hard to find.

*I'm of the philisophy that I should never pay more than $20k for a car. It's like a glass ceiling I set for myself.

If your friend wants to try a Sonata, he could rent one. Most car rental companies have the Sonata. In fact, that Sonata caught by police cameras doing 147 mph in Phoenix was a rental:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 22nd, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Let's see. If I was to buy a brand new midsize right now and go beyond my $20k limit...... The first car I'd look at is the 3.5 Camry followed by the Altima 3.5SE. After that, it'd be a tossup between the current Accord V6, the G6 GTP, the V6 Mazda 6, and the Azera. With the Azera around, I wouldn't even consider the Sonata. That's IF I go beyond $20k.

The G35 I'd consider when I say, "Heck with it. I want one!".
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 22nd, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Well, this is the pimp your car page......

I've always thought the 06 Sonata accelerated a bit quicker when in Shiftronic mode. I guess other people did too. Car and Driver had 6.6 sec in D mode. Here, it seemed quicker than that (using manual shifting in Shiftronic mode).

The 2009 models have 249hp versus the 235hp of mine with no change in engines. The same engine already have 268hp which will be the base engine of next year's Genesis sedan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hnmmm.... chip it?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hnmmm.... chip it?
    Probably. The 2009 3.3L Lambda V6 of the Sonata has been tweaked from 235hp to 249hp.

The base engine of the new Genesis is also the 3.3L Lambda V6. But, it's tweaked further to 268hp.

The 3.3L Lambda V6 is already quite peppy with a mere 235hp. 268hp.... That should push the Sonata into Azera performance or better since the Sonata is a much lighter car.

I also noticed, Yahoo now has the curb weight of the V6 Sonata at 3266 lbs vs 3458 lbs back in 2005. That would explain better why 0-60 mph and 1/4 times for the previous gen A/T Accord V6 and the 06 Sonata V6 were almost identical. The previous gen Accord has a similar curb weight.

I'd like to see acceleration tests of the 2009 Sonata. If it's curb weight is really 3266 lbs with 249hp, then it's power to weight ratio would put it just a hair shy of the V6 Camry and better than the new A/T Accord V6.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ahh.. might be some minor revisions, like a difference in spare tires and minor insulation and non-structural parts.

C'mon... DIY... you know you want to do it... you never truly outgrow modder's itch.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
2006 Sonata GLS V6 and 1991 PLymouth Laser RS Turbo