New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I don’t base my choices on the tranny. It just happened that we have 3 CVT rides as family rides (2 turbocharged and 1 NA). My brother-in-law is a bit hesitant to lend me on the highway his compact turbo CVT ride (I don’t know why, hehehe).

The FXT would not have happened for us if my wife agreed on my first choice - a Mazda6 wagon. She wanted a red CX5 AWD but Motor Image offered a good discount on the FXT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I don’t base my choices on the tranny. It just happened that we have 3 CVT rides as family rides (2 turbocharged and 1 NA). My brother-in-law is a bit hesitant to lend me on the highway his compact turbo CVT ride (I don’t know why, hehehe).

The FXT would not have happened for us if my wife agreed on my first choice - a Mazda6 wagon. She wanted a red CX5 AWD but Motor Image offered a good discount on the FXT.

Happiness is what matters.Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?
    I've shared my plight a few times...just don't have the luxury of most here who can periodically refresh their stable...Mazda ticked all my boxes...amongst em...NonCVT. Happy.Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Depende sa tuning ng CVT. I have no issues whatsoever with our CVT rides. No pun intended but one of my CVT rides drives very well, even better than rides of some people who look down on CVT.

I reckon you're referring to your forester? Better to what particular car brand/model? Hope it's not the ford fiesta Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Let's all just enjoy our respective choices.Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?I'm sure you did not choose your cars on the merits of the CVT, Egan bai.Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?We know the FXT is a solid ride.Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?

Subaru is one of the few car makers who made a CVT way better than the other bunch. But reliability of this type of tranny kept me from buying a Subaru Forester or an XV, so I ended up with a Mazda3. I'm for long term ownership, something that can outlast our aging 1st gen CRV without any concerns with the transmission.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post
    Subaru is one of the few car makers who made a CVT way better than the other bunch. But reliability of this type of tranny kept me from buying a Subaru Forester or an XV, so I ended up with a Mazda3. I'm for long term ownership, something that can outlast our aging 1st gen CRV without any concerns with the transmission.
    Pretty much the same shopping journey. Scratched the CVTs.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Pretty much the same shopping journey. Scratched the CVTs.

I also scratched out those turbo-powered engines. Less maintenance headaches for me Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I reckon you're referring to your forester? Better to what particular car brand/model? Hope it's not the ford fiesta Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?
    I have the FXT, three years now and it is still one mean machine. The FXT is one good family car - it has the pace and it has the space. I just replaced the stock tires with something a bit grippier.

I did have a Fiesta Ecoboost before and I have no qualms about that car. If you ask me, I do miss driving that small yet very capable car. The DCT pairs well with the turbo engine. We may have replaced it with an ASX but the Fiesta is quicker, faster, and more responsive to drive. The ASX has more space and has better ground clearance.

For our next car, I am looking at a capable sedan - a sporty FWD midsize or a RWD/AWD sedan.
    Last edited by Egan101; July 1st, 2019 at 09:35 AM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    I've seen a lot of Subaru Forester and XV and Mazda CX5 and CX9 while in Seattle. I guess both models perform well whether they have CVTs and ATs on them.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    I've seen a lot of Subaru Forester and XV and Mazda CX5 and CX9 while in Seattle. I guess both models perform well whether they have CVTs and ATs on them.
    Most people buy cars not because of the type of tranny or the reliability record. So seeing a bunch of these cars on the road is not a good gauge of good performance and track record. One example, I see a lot Ford Ecosport and Fiesta on the road here at Metro Manila but I do see a lot complaints with these cars at the forums and social media (due to the clunky dual clutch transmission). I used to drive a Ford Fiesta with DCT and I just gave up driving that crap. A Mazda customer service manager also said the same thing. She owns a Ecosport and complained about the transmission. She regretted buying that thing after she did a test drive with a mazda skyactiv.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    I have the FXT, three years now and it is still one mean machine. The FXT is one good family car - it has the pace and it has the space. I just replaced the stock tires with something a bit grippier.

I did have a Fiesta Ecoboost before and I have no qualms about that car. If you ask me, I do miss driving that small yet very capable car. The DCT pairs well with the turbo engine. We may have replaced it with an ASX but the Fiesta is quicker, faster, and more responsive to drive. The ASX has more space and has better ground clearance.

For our next car, I am looking at a capable sedan - a sporty FWD midsize or a RWD/AWD sedan.
    I'll buy a 2nd hand 1st gen CRV just to stay away from CVT powered cars if I need to have another daily driver that can deal easily with bad road conditions around the metro. Cheaper and easier to maintain, durability proven Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast