New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post
    I'll buy a 2nd hand 1st gen CRV just to stay away from CVT powered cars if I need to have another daily driver that can deal easily with bad road conditions around the metro. Cheaper and easier to maintain, durability proven [emoji108]
    Why buy a 20-year-old platform when you can buy a newer platform with an AT tranny? You have a lot of options.

Why not buy a used CX5 or Mazda6? If you love your Mazda3 SkyActiv, I guess a used CX5 offers something a lot better than a used 20-year-old car.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Why buy a 20-year-old platform when you can buy a newer platform with an AT tranny? You have a lot of options.

Why not buy a used CX5 or Mazda6? If you love your Mazda3 SkyActiv, I guess a used CX5 offers something a lot better than a used 20-year-old car.
    He was probably pointing how right Honda got the gen1 CRV. They took huge steps back w/ the 2nd & 3rd.[emoji852]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    He was probably pointing how right Honda got the gen1 CRV. They took huge steps back w/ the 2nd & 3rd.[emoji852]

I like the engines though of the 2nd and 3rd gen CRVs. The K24 is one reliable engine, not to mention it offers decent performance.

As good as those turn of the century Hondas are but keeping them running requires a bit more attention. The Civic EK, Accord 6th gen (CG), and CRV 1st gen have proven themselves well and despite their age, you can still see a lot of them on the road. The weak part of these platforms is the Honda AT tranny which is known to slip if not properly taken cared of or using a non-Honda ATF.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017

More expensive to buy a new SUV. It's not a pragmatic choice for a daily beater that will get all sorts of paint scratches and suspension damage. Insurance alone is a huge expense (unless you don't need to have it insured).

A 2nd hand CX5 is still way more expensive than a 1st gen CRV. Fuel economy difference is not that huge between the two models. Our 1st gen CRV can still reach 6.5 km per liter on a moderate traffic condition around the metro, daily driven. Insurance cost just around 4k, dirt cheap. It still rides well, comfie on pothole and speedbump infested roads. Automatic transmission still shifts smoothly. I will get another of this type of vehicle as long as spare parts are still in abundance [emoji108]

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post

This! Couldn't agree more [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

There's this CRV owners facebook group and you'll see a bunch of posts there looking for a 1st gen CRV. Resale value is still high (around 200k or more) for a 20 year old model. Our mechanic friend from Honda says that the 1st gen CRV is still the most reliable model Honda made. Newer models (especially the cvt ones) are not as durable compared to the 1st gen.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    The weak part of these platforms is the Honda AT tranny which is known to slip if not properly taken cared of or using a non-Honda ATF.
    True. My old man strictly followed the 40T km ATF change (genuine fluid) for the CRV. There was an ATF leak after the car reached the 145T km mark and that's the only problem we ever had with the tranny. We don't drive it like a sports sedan so that's another factor for longevity.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I Was Wrong About Mazda - YouTube

Is it a sign that the world is ending soon?
    Scotty dissing a toyota (rav4 on the vid) and praising mazda.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    I Was Wrong About Mazda - YouTube

Is it a sign that the world is ending soon?
    Scotty dissing a toyota (rav4 on the vid) and praising mazda.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
    Hahaha I was watching this also when I was in the airport.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234