New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glntVR
    imagination mo lang siguro yun. When do you feel it ba? pag ikaw nagsshift o yung transmission?

na fefeel ko ang shifting pag ako nag shift

2. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    It would have been better if the Activematic shifts in 0.02 just like Audi's Pero our activematic shifts in 0.5secs. Hey, at least its faster than the Hyundai Tiburon's shifting..hahaha. (and so I've heard) And oh, at least our activematic doesnt shift at redline compared to its competitors.

here's the info for your tranny question marv
    sa CVT ng honda how fast does it shift for the sake of comparison lang

and also wat do you mean by doesnt shift at redline karding ?
    Last edited by marv0083; July 18th, 2005 at 10:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marv0083
    and also wat do you mean by doesnt shift at redline karding ?
    when you reach the redline, it'll automatically shift to a higher gear.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    AFAIK, activematics are completely conventional except for the manual shift option... which, in turn, makes them more expensive. But most manual-automatics are just novelties... after a while, you don't really care. I kinda liked the INVECs on my cousin's GSR when I borrowed it, but after about an hour, I didn't bother to shift anymore and left it in auto mode. Word is, it's the same with Honda's CVT. My relatives with the CVT City (already 3 in the extended family!) report that after a week, they don't even use the buttons anymore.

AFAIK, CVT is supposed to sap less power than conventional manu-matics and is supposed to be at par with manuals, but I just don't feel it. It shifts faster, true, which is why some CVT cars are as fast as manuals, but it doesn't get as much power down to the ground.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    maybe depende narin sa user akin kasi i really enjoyed using the activematic manual mode

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Activematic IMHO, is for the people who still wants to feel the shift from time to time and for performance.

marv, CVT shifts continously. And dont worry, it cant shift on or near the redline because the use of CVT is for fuel economy not performance.

CVT is for convenience and economy. Thus, it doesnt reach near the redline. CVT isnt even shiftable, is it?!

A conventional CVT has an infinite (or a very large number) of gear ratios. It selects a ratio that can deliver to the wheels the power being demanded by the driver, but keeps the engine spin rate low within this constraint to improve economy and engine life. You can imagine that as the car picks up speed, the transmission continually shifts into a slightly higher gear. The result is that the pitch of the engine tone stays fairly constant and the acceleration falls off smoothly, instead of in steps, as the higher gear ratios have a smaller multiplying effect on the engine torque.
    glntVR:

Imagination?! hahahahahaha. We, mazda3 owners, feel it at 0.5secs after we downshift or upshift. And its not an imagination.

marv, take your Mazda3 to redline, its fun! hahaha.

Earlier on 4-lane uphill, this Nissan Frontier wants to be an a55 and didnt want me to pass. At 60mph Im on 4th gear, downshifted to 2nd and right where the redline is, I shifted back up to 3rd then 4th...passed the Frontier with no sweat.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    ay activematic ka pala karding kala ko manual

anyway tama yun if u want to overtake in 4th gear hard shift 2 gears down

pero lets say pag nasa 30kph ka shift ka sa 1st gear then **** 2nd gear when it hits 50kph the power delivery is instant

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    AFAIK, activematics are completely conventional except for the manual shift option... which, in turn, makes them more expensive. But most manual-automatics are just novelties... after a while, you don't really care. I kinda liked the INVECs on my cousin's GSR when I borrowed it, but after about an hour, I didn't bother to shift anymore and left it in auto mode.
    Though true, but i'd still buy one which has the function that i will use only 5% of the time than not have it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    AFAIK, CVT is supposed to sap less power than conventional manu-matics and is supposed to be at par with manuals, but I just don't feel it. It shifts faster, true, which is why some CVT cars are as fast as manuals, but it doesn't get as much power down to the ground.
    at PAR with manual tranny in terms of Fuel Economy perhaps. but currently its still slower in acceleration and quite alien in feel.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    hi gents, i know this is alittle bit off-topic. since we'r discussing Mazda tranny's might as well share some ongoing development.
    recently Mazda has made some upgrades to the Mazda6 tranny's in the States and in JPN.
    [USDM Model]
    1) Mazda 6 3.0li: 5AT to 6AT. (wonder how responsibly it shifts?)

[JDM Model]
    2) Mazda 6 2.3Z: 5MT to 6MT (with carbon syncro's 1 to 3rd gear)
    3) Mazda 6 2.3S: 4AT to 5MT (now equal to Accord :D )

when we can have those?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    but remember though, an ordinary, conventional A/T (or the "activematic" left in D) WILL ALSO instantaneously (well, at least if the tranny is a good one hehehe) downshift when you punch the accelerator, even from 4th to 2nd if need be. don't get the idea that only by toggling buttons in "activematic" mode will you get this result. such "manumatic" overrides are most useful if the tranny is dumb, or if you're racing... other than those, medyo gimmick nalang yan (don't get me wrong though, gimmicks are usually fun while they last). hehe

with regard to a CVT, as far as i know, a CVT will also improve performance... or at least, it has the potential to... aside from also improving fuel economy. for one thing, shifts are continous, and you won't lose time shifting like you would in a true manual. in fact, with a CVT, you will get the quickest acceleration by leaving it in CVT mode. if you use manual overrides, like the gimmicky "7-speed" detents in the City CVT, acceleration should be slower.

come to think of it, "7-speed CVT" is a paradox hehehe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
mazda's activematic transmission