New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by airshaq20
    I guess its a different thing in the Philippines because people buy their cars there based mostly on looks.
    whoa... if that is the case the Hyundai Coupe would be the best selling car around... seconded by the Mazda3.

but the local market is still dominated by AUVs (as Filipinos prefers utility IMO).

i have a Toyota Rav4 (my daily drive). it has squeaks all over (as confirmed by other owners too), the rear shocks failed, my front disc brakes & brake pads have been replaced, the engine stalled on me (due to a dirty throttle body) - all within 30K km.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I agree. Pinoys tend to lean on how much passengers they can accomodate that's why AUVs and SUVs are so hot today. Plus, these rides have better suspensions to our moonscape roads.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    whoa... if that is the case the Hyundai Coupe would be the best selling car around... seconded by the Mazda3.

but the local market is still dominated by AUVs (as Filipinos prefers utility IMO).
    We were talking mainly about compact sedans (Focus, Mazda3, Civic)...the Hyundai Coupe (it is called Tiburon here) is a different class - same as the Toyota Celica, Eclipse, etc....Different class targets different market.

i have a Toyota Rav4 (my daily drive). it has squeaks all over (as confirmed by other owners too), the rear shocks failed, my front disc brakes & brake pads have been replaced, the engine stalled on me (due to a dirty throttle body) - all within 30K km.
    Well, our previous X5 suffered from a lot of squeaks which i think is true to all SUVs (also true to my ex-gf's Grand Cherokee)....

JDPower and Assoc. surveys only in north america and the top selling figures were based on the numbers here. So i think your experience with your car/s might not be true when you compare it to the survey. I was just pointing out (and in answer to the thread's title) why Mazda isn't doing well because of these reasons.

I mean, more people would agree with me that Toyota is one of the best when it comes to quality - but why would you still buy another car? I guess for some people, the old saying is true - "its better to look good than to feel good".

As for AUV's - yes, i agree. But again, AUV's belong to another class. Comparing it to a compact sedan is like apples and oranges. But say you have two AUV's, same power, same seating capacity - i think most of us would buy the better-looking one.
    Last edited by airshaq20; February 3rd, 2005 at 01:17 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We were talking mainly about compact sedans (Focus, Mazda3, Civic)...the Hyundai Coupe (it is called Tiburon here) is a different class - same as the Toyota Celica, Eclipse, etc....Different class targets different market.

.................................................. ..........

I mean, more people would agree with me that Toyota is one of the best when it comes to quality - but why would you still buy another car? I guess for some people, the old saying is true - "its better to look good than to feel good".
    If you really look in to the details of those quality issues, those were actually pretty minor. so i'm sure the basic design & engineering of the Mazda 3 is very good. Imagine that's comparing the 3 on its 1st. year of Production against the current Corolla & Civic which had around for 4years.

5. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    What!? With only 30K in the odo?! I thought SUVs were sturdy enough for Phil condition?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mazda is currently in its greatest financial health since it was bought by ford almost 20 years ago. like ford that used to think that volume (number of cars sold) is good...mazda's strategy is..."the bottom line of the business is profit"...why sell more cars that will make your balance sheet RED if you can sell only a few cars but turn your balance sheet into black?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    though if you sum up the Ford Group's (Ford, Jaguar, Mazda, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Aston Martin) they present a very varied and formidable offering (their SUVs are still selling like hotcakes).
    i think this quote is right on target. the ford group needs mazda to be a niche player, and attract young people into the franchise to keep their business as they grow up and their needs change and hopefully move to other ford brands. i think this is an excellent strategy and they are certainly executing it well with the 3, the 6 and the rx8.

toyota and honda stand on their own, and almost have to try to be everything to everyone.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    just FYI (this is just one month's worth of sales[january 2005]):

Ford sales decline 12% in january 2005,US

Ford -14.1%
    Mercury +17.0%
    Lincoln - 23.3%
    Jaguar -38.4%
    Volvo -1.5%
    Land Rover -2.1%
    Mazda -1%

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    January is usually a bad month for all businesses. After the holiday season, most of the money are already spent. Winter season is also a slow season for car sales. Ever wonder why US and Canada release new cars on September? Because its summer here...and summer is the peak season :-)

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    January is usually a bad month for all businesses. After the holiday season, most of the money are already spent. Winter season is also a slow season for car sales. Ever wonder why US and Canada release new cars on September? Because its summer here...and summer is the peak season :-)
    yeah,that's true.but some automakers still managed to eke out respectable increases, like the following:

Honda 6%
    Toyota 6%
    Subaru 31%
    Hyundai 10%
    BMW 22.5%
    Audi 1.4%
    Nissan 15%
    Chrysler 9%

Ford and GM announces slowdown in production of vehicles because of sluggish sales.
    But now back to Mazda, the 3,6 and MPV are up; but falling sales of its B-series truck,Miata,Tribute and RX-8 offset the increase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
mazda in trouble?