New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Just out of curiosity. Why is it that Mazda Philippines didn't bother putting manual transmission on all variants of their cars, from Mazda 3 to CX-8. I haven't seen any, except the Mazdaspeed 3 which i think not locally manufactured... Well for sure, not all of us like automatic tranny even though its easier to drive than the manual tranny but then, some of us still want manual over matic is just because it's more fun to drive.

Is it Mazda's marketing strategy? or they just don't like manual transmission?
    TIA.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Its probably the cost of having two models including service parts. A car dealer's job is not done the moment the car is sold. They have to provide all the parts that would need replacing. So if they limit the number of models sold (like all A/T and no M/T) it would mean less "items" to keep in stock.

The Mazda3 line up is currently composed of three models, the 1.6 sedan, 1.6 hatch and the 2.0L sedan, all with automatic tranny. If Mazda would offer manual tranny, it would suddenly balloon to six models which would increase the need for inventory (or cost of money) for the actual cars & spare parts for those cars as well.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    (They could share those parts with Ford... which does sell the manual versions).

Unfortunately, Mazda's target demographic, despite the "zoom-zoom" claim seems to be upmarket buyers and new drivers, who don't really like to shift for themselves.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Unfortunately, Mazda's target demographic, despite the "zoom-zoom" claim seems to be upmarket buyers and new drivers, who don't really like to shift for themselves.
    I think since Mazda market and network is not yet very big, it makes more business sense to carry less variants on their different car models in the meantime unless there is strong demand for M/T cars.

But more about m/t, I'm sure some drivers would like to have a car with one (like me), but with our terrible traffic situation which is probably among the worst in the world, it is too much of a burden.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I think since Mazda market and network is not yet very big, it makes more business sense to carry less variants on their different car models in the meantime unless there is strong demand for M/T cars.

But more about m/t, I'm sure some drivers would like to have a car with one (like me), but with our terrible traffic situation which is probably among the worst in the world, it is too much of a burden.

Hmmm. it seems like mazda's really target in our domestic market are those people who live within metro manila which always dwell in heavy trafic condition... Professionals, Executives, rich peoples who will rather have Matic over Manual.
    But during the time of Mazda 323. they had manual tranny right?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mazda could actually share transmissions with the Ford Focus... it's the same engine, after all (plus or minus a few accessories and with different computer programming).

It's not cost... it's just market placement.

With the 323, they were directly targetting the Sentra/Lancer/Corolla crowd.

With the 3, they're now going after the Civic crowd... the slightly more upmarket types who value style and convenience.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Mazda o-Matic?