New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2005

Mazda turns 90 years old this year, and during the Japanese automaker's near-century of building cars, it has stayed true to the Zoom-Zoom ethos that defined it. One thing that has changed over the years, however, is its logo. In 1936, Mazda entered the world of automobile manufacturing and hit the ground running with not one, but two logos: a simple "Mazda" written in script and a triple "M" symbol that was said to be both a tie to its headquarters – home of Hiroshima City and the sense of speed and agility that Mazda puts into its cars. That triple M also served to stand for Mazda Motor Manufacturer.

Over the course of Mazda's 90 years, its logo would be changed four more times. Today, The stylized M more closely resembles outstretched wings and the Laguna Seca Blue font below it shows just how dedicated Mazda is to making cars that are, at their core, fun to drive.

Take a look through the gallery below and travel through a timeline of Mazda logos.

This is the first recorded corporate Mazda logo, dating back to 1936. It was the registered trademark for Mazda when production began on its three-wheel trucks. The name Mazda derives from Ahura Mazda, a god of wisdom, intelligence and harmony, from the earliest civilisations in western Asia. It is also said to derive from the anglicised version of the name Jujiro Matsuda, founder of Mazda’ automotive business.

Mazda also introduced this brand symbol in 1936, which was inspired by the emblem of Mazda’s hometown. It expresses the brand’s strong link to Hiroshima city which is still today home to the company’s global headquarters. The peaks in the logo’s middle form a stylised triple “M” symbolising “Mazda as a motor manufacturer”. The wings on both sides represent Mazda’s agility, speed and ability to soar to new heights.

The introduction of this classic “M” logo coincided with the launch of Mazda’s passenger cars in 1959. The first vehicle to wear it was the Mazda R360 coupe which featured several cutting-edge Mazda technologies – a car that broke with conventions, heralding the future of Mazda’s passenger cars.

In 1975, this timeless logo was introduced at the same time as Mazda’s new corporate identity. Today, 35 years later, the logotype remains an intrinsic element of Mazda’s visual identity.
    Last edited by Benzmizer; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005

This brand symbol was introduced in 1992. It was accompanied by Mazda’s 1975 introduced corporate logo. Its shape expresses the dimensions of wings, sun and a circle of light, and was ultimately the take-off-point for Mazda’s current logo.

This new logo was introduced globally in June 1997. It depicts the Mazda “M” whose distinctive “V” shape embodies the company stretching its wings as it soars into the future. It represents the creativity, the sense of mission and vitality that are Mazda – in other words, its quest to continuously grow and improve. In 2000, this philosophy was enhanced with the introduction of the Zoom-Zoom tagline to express the “emotion of motion” built into Mazda vehicles. This Zoom-Zoom ethos, still very much embodied in the logo, soon appeared in the new generation of vehicles which brought the company further along on its road to success.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    nice post, very informative

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    indeed thanks for the very informative post. it's good to learn something about the roots of my car and the evolution of the logos behind the brand. when i got my 3, i have only very little knowledge about mazda. now i trust more knowing that it's been on the business for 90 years.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posting Articles (e.g. copy and paste material)

For posting an article in the forums, always include:
    • Title
    • Author (if available)
    • Date and Time (e.g. news articles)
    • and most importantly: the SOURCE (web address)
    Quote the entire article by using the Quote command:

Usage: [quote]Article[/quote]
    Example Usage: [quote]The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.[/quote]
    Example Output:
    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    Click for vBCode command list

Posts/Threads created not in compliance with this will be DELETED, with or without notification and will be issued an infraction.

Again, please take time to read the Tsikot Rules and Regulations.

Questions? Clarifications? Violent Reactions? Please direct your queries here:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43559

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Thanks guys.

Article was taken from an from an original post in www.autoblog.com: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/01/m...back-at-logos/

Hope this clears matters out.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Nice one?

I'm thinking of putting a wing logo to the Astina, ganda kasi eh!

But I guess that makes it "ricey".

Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos