New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    some like vanilla, some like chocolate ice cream... others prefer both

I like the 6, I think it was a good choice. I too dont agree personally on some of the choices, but maybe if data was presented I could understand better and why they were selected like how mazda explained the Tribute selection.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    tama prediction mo carlo ah :D

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Congratulations to all winners..Galing ng ford ranger for the 2nd time.. hehe
    Galing talaga magpredict ni carlo certified car addict talaga.
    Last edited by gearspeed; March 31st, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Just a Comment on the Choices:

The Car of the Year tests are performed by motor journalists, not businessmen. Thus, comparisons from the backseat take a... herrh... backseat to driveability, and in this case, both the Mazda 6 and the Mazda Tribute have a competitive edge over their competitors.

The Tribute has the best ride/handling tradeoff amongst the compact SUVs on the market, as well as lots of kit. It's got a lot of space compared to some of the other CUVs, also. Of course, if we take fuel consumption and resale value into consideration, the Tribute falls a bit short.

The Mazda6 2.3 is still one of the best-steering cars available. On a limited test course, of course it's going to wow the judges. The front heavy V6 mid-sizers aren't going to impress them as much as the better balanced and sportier feeling Mazda6, and with a 2.3, it's just powerful enough to be entertaining, while still maintaining good gas mileage. I would have picked the Accord if they included backseat comfort and long-distance cruising, but under the testing, I don't doubt the Mazda6 fared much better.

The Hyundai Getz may be a surprise to most, but not to me. The Getz has already won at least one COTY in Australia against the Jazz. It's got good value for money, decent dynamics (competitive with the Jazz and Swift) and the interior isn't really that far off the melt-in-the-sun plastics of the Jazz or the frustratingly bare and uninspired dash of the Suzuki (don't ask me, that's how it makes me feel). The Jazz should have won, but in terms of price vs. value, the Getz gets the balance right.

The Lancer MX 1.8 Limited is a surprise to me. But then, last time, the Ford Lynx RS also won straight out of left-field. With the exit of the Lynx RS, the MX is the last of the old-school light-bodied compacts left. And like the RS, it's cheap. It's got good kit and decent value, and the only CVT in the segment (which may have been a deciding factor, Mazda and Ford have horrible ATs) but I really would've picked the new Focus over it.

But remember, we shouldn't judge these cars unless we've driven them, that's what COTY-P is all about.

The Ranger: same comments as others. It's all about the ride, baby. The new Hilux and D-Max are amazing powerhouses, but they ride like... trucks. The Ranger still has lots of utility and good off-road ability, but it doesn't make you suffer as much for it.

With the wins of the Innova, the Chrysler 300C and the Grandis, it seems like value for money was a lot on the Judges' minds this year, as compared to the previous PCOTY where speed and power seemed the deciding factor. This year, it's all about value and driving comfort and ability.
    Last edited by niky; March 31st, 2006 at 04:33 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Just what I noticed:

The car itself has features that none of its comeptitors currently have (such as side airbags, curtain airbags, manaul mode for the AT among others).

Heck, while all its competitors are made here or within ASEAN region, this car is built in far-away Hiroshima, Japan.

Yet, unbelivably, the car is only priced * 1.2 million. That's a power-packed deal for the best value for money and lowest price (in its class).

The Mazda 6 does deserve the award for this year.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Go Mazda! Go Mazda!

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackraven
    Just what I noticed:

The car itself has features that none of its comeptitors currently have (such as side airbags, curtain airbags, manaul mode for the AT among others).

Heck, while all its competitors are made here or within ASEAN region, this car is built in far-away Hiroshima, Japan.

Yet, unbelivably, the car is only priced * 1.2 million. That's a power-packed deal for the best value for money and lowest price (in its class).

The Mazda 6 does deserve the award for this year.
    The Mazda6 2.3 was already Php 1.365M before the evat thingee last Feb.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Wow! Galing Mazda6 and number001 is correct, 1.365 na ang mazda.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i knew it... soon as carlo texted me bout this one... makes me wanna drive a zoom zoom.. hehehhe

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    teka teka... Best Compact Car: Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8MX Limited <--- why oh why? i think the mazda 3 2.0 delivers a better package than this really dated lancer...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mazda 6 2.3 wins the 2006 Car of the Year (COTY) award