New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    but the general consensus seems to be, if you want conservative, bulletproof reliability, the corolla is still it.

sure Corolla is the worlds most selling brand, but to me its just plain boring. and i don't know why everyone say's a Toyota has bullet-proof reliability. i beg to differ. 1. our company Corona engine had to be rebuilt after 100K km. (and its casa maintained) due to some sludge problem daw. 2. i hear horror stories of other Toyota engines (some even in Rav4) about the same engine problems / breakdown due to sludge.

well probably MZ3 hasn't proven its reliability much because its only been around the PH market for a mere 2years (or maybe even less) but go check out some websites in UK. In terms of over-all reliability Mazda had been top for several years now except for this one as they'v been dislodged by Honda by a mere 1pt. or something. sa US naman is a slightly different picture, the most reliable daw ay Lexus w/c we know is made by Toyota. i really think Mazda has made great strides in improving their quality over the years. See the Mazda323 (or Lynx) and now the MZ3. u won't regret it.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Hey, the mazda3 has it's fair share of horror stories... if you've been hanging around the service bay of the dealership for a bit more than usual then you'd hear about them. Like the time someone's 3 conked and CEL'd .... problem was he used gasoline higher than 93 Octane... the musical 'clank clank' suspension sound... solution, was a trimmed rubber bushing... and all those White 2.0R's that keeps getting totalled all over the metro....nakakailan na ba? 3-4? problem was...well, we don't really know...basta puro puti sila...he he he...wierd. Well, probably it's just a color that attracts all kinds of trouble...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM
    and i don't know why everyone say's a Toyota has bullet-proof reliability.
    YUP.

I think people just overate their cars too much (just because they own one).

And as I always say, Jap manufacturers are almost at par with each other in terms of build quality. Our Mazda had its share of problems & headaches... and so did our Toyota.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've heard lots of horror stories for old Mazdas... but the new ones seem okay. Heck, we have a Honda horror story thread right here on tsikot!

That Toyota sludge thing is worrying. They've had a lot of blown 1.8s (the new one) in the US due to oil problems. Guess bulletproof isn't the word anymore.

But on the whole, for 80-90% of Toyota OR Mazda owners, these are non-issues.

I still think the Altis E is a better deal fuel-wise than the Mazda 1.6S. Neither of them is a rocket in a straight line. But I'd pick the Mazda in terms of driving and safety. Better a newer, stiffer shell with better handling... all the better for avoiding accidents and being hurt. As for those white 2.0s with accidents... that comes down to the type of drivers who buy the car, doesn't it? I've seen a lot of Lynx RS's with accident damage, also (I plead guilty, m'lord), but that doesn't mean it's the car itself that's accident prone, just the drivers. That goes the same for Vios drivers, too. I've seen a LOT of totalled Vios's... and I still can't get the image of the upside down burning Vios out of my head...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    for me, they're practically the same in those terms. but the mazda 3 makes my heart beat faster! it's all about how you drive, maintain and love your car that'll make the difference. good luck!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Mazda3... para maiba naman. Sana lang eh mag-improve yun resale ng Mazda here...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i really think Mazda has made great strides in improving their quality over the years. See the Mazda323 (or Lynx) and now the MZ3. u won't regret it.
    that's ironic, because several of my relatives have 323's, and i have a 626. in fairness, my car is relatively old. but it's gotten old at about the same rate as a friend's corona (of the same age). so in my experience at least, toyota wasn't necessarily better. they're both horrendous gas guzzlers though.

I still think the Altis E is a better deal fuel-wise than the Mazda 1.6S
    yeah, i think that's where toyota has everybody else all beat. the reason i'm not too keen on the mazda3 is because i'm getting 6km/L city with my 626, and from what i've heard the mazda3 gets 7-8km/L city. such a marginal fuel economy increase! and going from a 2.0 to a 1.6 at that, and more than ten years apart in age!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Since napaka-subjective pala ng word na "reliability" then sabihin nalang natin na across all the mazda3's and altis-e's na lumabas, on average pareho lang reliability nila.
    So I think, what you may want to put into consideration is the maintenance cost. Which vehicle has the cheaper parts? Longer maintenance intervals? Better build?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pissword
    either way... kung bata kapa go for the mazda 3, kung family man ka na go for the altis

agree po ako jan

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    mazda 3 ako

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Altis 1.6E 0r Mazda 3 1.6V