New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Its okay, I know the way, but just looking for some up-to-date information if anyone can help, please.

I run a 21 year old Range Rover 4.6 as a bit of a toy and, after two years of being a rolling work in progress and a few gentle outings (Marcos Highway to the Pacific coast, Mt Palay, etc) it's time to stretch her legs a bit on some more challenging runs, yet still be fairly close to home.

So, the next trip will be Manila to Olongapo via the Bataan peninsular. That being the case, I'm looking for recent information on the state of the Mariveles-Bagac road, as most of the stuff i've found is a few years old.

The car's well prepared and I have good off-road experience from 4x4 rallies in the UK, but as I'll be on my own and in a lone vehicle, getting badly stuck is not really a good option.

Any recent knowledge as to condition?

Thank you in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm only familiar with the paved mountain road from Balanga to Batac to SBMA which is a great car driving road. I've seen the Mariveles - Bagac road outline only on maps when I was looking at the beaches in the area.

Given my limited experience with trails and maps before, so long as it's charted on a map then there should be a dirt road which may be used by locals, but expect other minor, uncharted roads to pop up along the way which may confuse you.

You may want to try touching base with the Land Rover Club Philippines gents as they may be able to provide feedback on the trails. There is also a Pampanga 4-wheelers group you can try asking.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    I just got back from camaya coast resort (mariveles) and hindi ba eto ung twisty roads? I just checked g maps now and eto ung last stretch mnl - camaya so that must be it. Also, may nakasalubong ako 60's era land rover. Lupet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The road from Camaya to Bagac isn't paved, not even a decent dirt road. Certainly not something an ordinary vehicle can pass through. I've only gone as far as Camaya Coast so I can't vouch for the road condition for the entire stretch, but from what I saw, the forest trail is narrow.

So you can have an idea of how the road looks, here's a screenshot from Google Street View:

The paved road ends exactly at the entrance of Camaya Coast. From there, it's all jungle, which I think is what you're looking for anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    *jut703 - That's the one! Thanks.

Okay, so your description to Camaya Coast tells me about another 15kms from Mariveles, just the 30km from there onwards now.

There's a video of someone running the route in a Hi-Lux, but that's from 2010 or so. There were a couple of washouts that they made it through, but it's knowing whether they've been repaired or had several more years of rains and storms to really kill the road.

Another possibility is to run Balanga - Bagac on the way over, see if I can pick up some local knowledge about the Mariveles route when I'm there and maybe do the return route that way

Thanks again for the information. Appreciated.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    *vinj - Thanks.

I'll keep asking around, as I don't do Facebook. 'Tis the work of the Devil himself!!!