New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    torque settings? it never bothered us before. steel rims or mags. small minicar or breadloaf van. wag lang tapakan at talunan.
    i suppose the size of the wrench dis-allows over-tightening. and the breaker bar easily addresses over-tight lugs by over-eager tire shop hulks...
    I wonder how our weight can be used as a torque indicator. I always tighten my lugs with my weight by standing on the wrench, that's all, no jumping on it, just a 2 second stand on each lug. I am 65 kgs.

The tire boys most probably tighten it more as i have to jump around 1-3x before i get 1 loose, unless, it tightens over time with use?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    I wonder how our weight can be used as a torque indicator. I always tighten my lugs with my weight by standing on the wrench, that's all, no jumping on it, just a 2 second stand on each lug. I am 65 kgs.

The tire boys most probably tighten it more as i have to jump around 1-3x before i get 1 loose, unless, it tightens over time with use?
    The torque used to tighten a fastener is measured in pound feet (pound force) or kilogram force meter.
    It is derived from multiplying force in pound times length of the arm in feet or force kilogram times length of arm in meters.

High school physics i think

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014

Naalala ko tuloy si Botchie Santos ng Topgear magazine.
    Yung proper way is to tighten it buy not ovetighten with your hands then use a torque wrench to check. But if you do not have that wrench, just tighten by hand. It won’t loosen if it tightened just right. You are not even supposed to grease the nuts. It has a tendency to loosen when greased.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    How to Use a Torque Wrench - How to Tighten Lug Nuts
    In this article, it tells you why you shouldn’t use an extension bar, a pneumatic wrench or jumping on the wrench to tighten it.
    Last edited by bloowolf; September 5th, 2018 at 02:07 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Thank you guys, now I know that I was applying 145 lbs/ft or a little less maybe cause the stock wrench is about 10" only. I quick internet search say 80 lbs/ft only or around 40 kgs force in my case.

Now, now I have to reduce my weight by 25 kgs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Thank you guys, now I know that I was applying 145 lbs/ft or a little less maybe cause the stock wrench is about 10" only. I quick internet search say 80 lbs/ft only or around 40 kgs force in my case.

Now, now I have to reduce my weight by 25 kgs.
    145ft-lbs? Ouchhhh! some new fort owners are complaining about the hub threads stripping....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    145ft-lbs? Ouchhhh! some new fort owners are complaining about the hub threads stripping....

hub thread o stud thread?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strange View Post
    hub thread o stud thread?
    Studs🤭

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Naalala ko tuloy si Botchie Santos ng Topgear magazine.
    Yung proper way is to tighten it buy not ovetighten with your hands then use a torque wrench to check. But if you do not have that wrench, just tighten by hand. It won’t loosen if it tightened just right. You are not even supposed to grease the nuts. It has a tendency to loosen when greased.
    Hand tighten nga lang, no need na sipain pa para humigpit, kontra naman sa takbo ng gulong kaya hindi yan matatanggal. Bawal nga din ang grease.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I always have a 1/2 drive swivel 18 inch handle chrome vanadium breaker bar under the car seat and appropriate sized deep socket for the lug nut. Adds extra self defense, kesa tubo ang dalhin ko.

Passenger cars are usually 90-110 N.m, HD trucks around 150-200 N.m

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast