New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a 225/40/18 tires.

Current choices are just Accelera Phi, Achilless 2233 and Bridgestone potenza adrenalin RE003.
    Both accelera and achilles i think falls under the same price category, thing ismy friend who is affiliated with Bridgestone can offer me a significant discount upto 6500 per piece. Do you think a jump on my budget will be worth it? I just use my car for daily drive.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    How much is the Achilles? Is it a lot less than 6500?

If it were me, I'd definitely go for Bridgestone. 6500 is cheap for an 18 inch tire, and a Potenza at that. We got the 235/60/R18 Hankook Dynapro for the Santa Fe for, I think, around 9k/piece. Perhaps you can ask for further discount if you buy a set of 4? 😁

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    How much is the Achilles? Is it a lot less than 6500?

If it were me, I'd definitely go for Bridgestone. 6500 is cheap for an 18 inch tire, and a Potenza at that. We got the 235/60/R18 Hankook Dynapro for the Santa Fe for, I think, around 9k/piece. Perhaps you can ask for further discount if you buy a set of 4? 😁

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Based on OLX, Accelera and Achilles cost ~4200/pc. Would the ~9k difference be worth it?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Hi, the offer for accelera/achilles is 4k per piece since i'm buying it alongside a new set of mags. I actually like the bridgestone potenza but is it really worth it for a daily driven? With let's say monthly province drive.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Potenza RE003 at 6.5k each is REALLY REALLY CHEAP. Get it.

I would've gone for the Potenza if it was offered to me at that price. Lowest I could get them is 8.5k each. I ended up with the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39 which costs 5.5k/tire. Not as good as the Potenza, but 35% cheaper.

You can get the Achilles 2233 for 3.5k each for 225/40R18. Of course, performance is nowhere as good as the Potenza. You just won't have the same level of grip. If you don't drive hard, it's okay.

I had the Achilles 2233 for my Altis before - lasted me 42,000 km including a track day and lots of spirited driving. The Potenza definitely won't last as long because better grip = lesser tread life. Overall the 2233 was decent, but for my next set I decided not to skimp on my tires because they're the only points of contact between the road and my car. I drive spiritedly a lot, and I appreciate the increased grip of the Kumho vs. the Achilles. I could only imagine how much better the Bridgestone is.

If you could, can you share with me the contact details of your friend who sells cheap Potenzas? I'll consider them for my next tire change maybe in 1.5-2 years' time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk